Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you for chiming in appreciate it! This is a design flaw that seems to be more popular in the northeast! The hoses are choked so the valve can not function in the breather box..the lower part! which is up against the crankcase
This is wrong for Mercedes to be costing the average end user $2100 and what is to stop this from reoccurring unless they change the part and changing the part is an admittance to guilty

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you for chiming in appreciate it! This is a design flaw that seems to be more popular in the northeast! The hoses are choked so the valve can not function in the breather box..the lower part! which is up against the crankcase
This is wrong for Mercedes to be costing the average end user $2100 and what is to stop this from reoccurring unless they change the part and changing the part is an admittance to guilty
I haven't written in a while because I was tied up arguing with Mercedes Advocacy. They will not cover the 12 hours labor to replace the intake tube emissions line that contains the vent valve that is not a purchased part # available on the Metris, So now one of my vans still cannot pass emissions, I am turning them into the ANN ARBOR Michigan Dept of federal emissions
This is wrong ! I trusted Mercedes to do the right thing and they failed me!
So now I need to know if there is anyone on the forum who has done this motor mount removal and ECM removal to get at the breather box /oil separator for removal to examine the box and valves that you cannot purchase without getting the whole $900 intake line assembly? I think this is a huge crime..and it does seem to be common amongst other models on the mbusa forum..more so on the M274 engine .
Anyone have experience before I attempt this time consuming job? better from on top or bottom to gain site of this part? I talked to a parts guy who said they are cutting in half a pipe coming above the breather box to cut hours off the job for space reasoning? The advocacy does not have any technical background btw, I tracked these people and they are mostly sales type mouth pieces judged on how fast they can rid you! As if the tire wear problem wasn't enough agony and waste of money for 18 months until they came out with new specs, they have t punish me again with this PO524E emissions failure from clogged pipes and vents!
Please chime in if anyone has done this job? thank you

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just over 50k km and my 2017 pssgr Metris went down in a cloud of smoke. Dropping off my kid at school in a blue cloud and and got to wondering what kind of low-life would be poisoning young lungs with such heinous emissions.

Well it turned out to be me as the check engine light came on about 3 blocks on.

Fortunately I have the extended warranty, but also a long tow - almost from Alaska to Seattle, but not quite. Thing is, that crankcase ventilation hose and oil separator was done at 36k km. Took days at the dealership.

This has got to be some kind of design flaw? Is there a mechanism for signaling such persistent faults to the regulators?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Anybody install an oil catch can?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I kept the Volvos!

I had the code for this about 3k miles ago. Cleared it and thankfully it hasn’t come back yet. We shall see....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been on the mbworld forums as the w213 and x253 my wife and I have also have the M274 and I am concerned about this valve failing in the future. I was looking to plumb an air/oil separator in the line between the intake tube to the turbo and the crankcase vent. I believe this is the line - and will likely give this a shot.

·
Registered
2016 MB Metris
3 Posts
Shite service BTW. I've gone from being to a MB fan to wanting my Volvo back
I just wanted to share my experience of my 2016 Metris cargo van PCV issue. I had the van into the dealer last week for the recent recall items and also told them to check on the check engine service light that was on. (This light had been on & off for the last 9 months and finally just stayed on for the 3 months.) When I went back to the dealer to pick it up the service rep said they had done the recall items, but the check engine light was the crankcase ventilation system and it wasn't covered under warranty and the parts are about $1,100.00. I told him they replaced the PCV intake hose in April 2018 @ 27,900 miles under warranty and that I purchased the ELW based on the fact I was told the ELW would cover everything like the original factory warranty. The rep said I should call MB to see what they would do. I replied they were my dealer & they should make the call. He said he would try and would call me. He called me later that day and said he got approval and we scheduled for this week to get the work done. I just got back from having my PCV intake hose changed. The check engine light is now off and there was no charge for anything. My dealer is in Akron, Ohio and has treated me extremely well, they even supplied a late model loaner SUV (less than 600 miles on the loaner) while they had my vehicle in the shop.
I purchased the van new from this dealer, but after the original A and B services that were included in the purchase price I have done my own oil changes and replaced front & rear brake pads.
The intake line part they installed is listed as 274-090-02-00
So far at this point, I'm a Happy Metris owner. :p

·
Registered
470 Posts
I purchased the van new from this dealer, but after the original A and B services that were included in the purchase price I have done my own oil changes and replaced front & rear brake pads.
The intake line part they installed is listed as 274-090-02-00
So far at this point, I'm a Happy Metris owner. :p
Did you purchase your ELW from them also? Your situation is the main reason I still bring my vehicle into the dealer from some maintenance from time to time. I also had my first A and B done by the dealer, but I did my own oil change after that and had them do the transmission flush & filter change. They were only $50 or so dollars more than the best indy quote I got. For that difference I'll always take it to the dealer. I too have a '16 Cargo and my new purchase dealer has been good so far. I had my engine replaced under warranty (knocking sound / low compression) $0 out of pocket and they offered my a loaner also, which isn't normal policy for Metris or Sprinter service. I wondering how common this issue is?

·
Registered
2016 MB Metris
3 Posts
Did you purchase your ELW from them also? Your situation is the main reason I still bring my vehicle into the dealer from some maintenance from time to time. I also had my first A and B done by the dealer, but I did my own oil change after that and had them do the transmission flush & filter change. They were only $50 or so dollars more than the best indy quote I got. For that difference I'll always take it to the dealer. I too have a '16 Cargo and my new purchase dealer has been good so far. I had my engine replaced under warranty (knocking sound / low compression) $0 out of pocket and they offered my a loaner also, which isn't normal policy for Metris or Sprinter service. I wondering how common this issue is?
Hello MOWO,
I bought the extended warranty thru Jeff Jackson who had been previously mentioned on this forum. He was roughly $1000.00 less than the dealer on the 7 year 120,000 mile plan. I purchased the ELW when I had a little over 35,000 miles on the van. I decided if I keep the van it would be a good investment and if I sold it then it would be a good sale feature.
I wondered if that would make a difference on a questionable claim. My transmission flush & filter service was included as part of the "B" service that came with the MB purchase deal. I agree with you for $50.00 dollars difference I would let the dealer do it. The loaner is worth that small difference. Every service my dealer has done they have had a loaner vehicle for me to use. I have been very please with my original sale dealer.
I use a "Topsider" for oil changes and its a breeze . I have been changing the oil & filter @ 10,000 mile intervals as I was hoping cleaner oil would avoid this crankcase vent problem. It didn't seem to help, but I may keep doing it since it's so easy to do from above. I am just over 52,000 miles currently on the van. I plan on changing the spark plugs in the next couple of weeks. I already bought the NGK's. I just need to set aside some time & do it.
You should be very happy with MB & your dealer for standing up and taking care of their customers problems.
I really love the van and the outcome of this current problem takes some of the sting away from the electric tailor brake aggravation from the lack of support from MB.

How many miles on the new engine & on the whole truck?
If you had a do over, would you buy a Metris again?
I think I would.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hello MOWO,
I bought the extended warranty thru Jeff Jackson who had been previously mentioned on this forum. He was roughly $1000.00 less than the dealer on the 7 year 120,000 mile plan. I purchased the ELW when I had a little over 35,000 miles on the van. I decided if I keep the van it would be a good investment and if I sold it then it would be a good sale feature.
I wondered if that would make a difference on a questionable claim. My transmission flush & filter service was included as part of the "B" service that came with the MB purchase deal. I agree with you for $50.00 dollars difference I would let the dealer do it. The loaner is worth that small difference. Every service my dealer has done they have had a loaner vehicle for me to use. I have been very please with my original sale dealer.
I use a "Topsider" for oil changes and its a breeze . I have been changing the oil & filter @ 10,000 mile intervals as I was hoping cleaner oil would avoid this crankcase vent problem. It didn't seem to help, but I may keep doing it since it's so easy to do from above. I am just over 52,000 miles currently on the van. I plan on changing the spark plugs in the next couple of weeks. I already bought the NGK's. I just need to set aside some time & do it.
You should be very happy with MB & your dealer for standing up and taking care of their customers problems.
I really love the van and the outcome of this current problem takes some of the sting away from the electric tailor brake aggravation from the lack of support from MB.

How many miles on the new engine & on the whole truck?
If you had a do over, would you buy a Metris again?
I think I would.
So many commonalities between you and I. Besides the same year and model, I got my 7/120k ELW through J. Jackson also. In hindsight I have wondered if my purchase dealer would have matched JJ's price, but I'm thinking even if they matched it I would have stilled had to pay taxes on it. I didn't want to be 'that guy' at a Mercedes dealer haggling over the tax man, so it's not something I lose sleep over. :)
As the case with many owners here, my dealer doesn't provide a loaner for anything but 'special circumstances'. The strategy is to a visit to the dealer 1-2 times minimum per year for maintenance / service. That should be enough for them to still 'know me' without much of a dent on the wallet. I have my plugs replacement service coming up and probably new tires will be warranted so I'll have the dealer do 4-wheel alignment again.
My Metris Cargo has about 41,500 miles total and the new engine was put in around 34,000 miles. Only 'downside' I have found is the new engine has slightly louder 'rail chatter' when idling...sounds more diesel...it's ever so slightly as I can remember. Oh and my service A came up real quick, which is to be expected with an engine swap mid-cycle.
As far as doing it over... its a straight-across-the-board YES. It wasn't my first choice when shopping as it was slightly out of my original budget, but I am a huge fan. I too purchased the ELW for long-term ownership or increased value if I sell. It'll be paid off this year and I plan to keep it 9 years + There's just no better looking cargo van on the market and it's my daily driver also.

Reactions: focus805

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thats the first I've heard of a M274 dying of low compression/knocking. May have been a parts flaw from the factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't written in a while because I was tied up arguing with Mercedes Advocacy. They will not cover the 12 hours labor to replace the intake tube emissions line that contains the vent valve that is not a purchased part # available on the Metris, So now one of my vans still cannot pass emissions, I am turning them into the ANN ARBOR Michigan Dept of federal emissions
This is wrong ! I trusted Mercedes to do the right thing and they failed me!
So now I need to know if there is anyone on the forum who has done this motor mount removal and ECM removal to get at the breather box /oil separator for removal to examine the box and valves that you cannot purchase without getting the whole $900 intake line assembly? I think this is a huge crime..and it does seem to be common amongst other models on the mbusa forum..more so on the M274 engine .
Anyone have experience before I attempt this time consuming job? better from on top or bottom to gain site of this part? I talked to a parts guy who said they are cutting in half a pipe coming above the breather box to cut hours off the job for space reasoning? The advocacy does not have any technical background btw, I tracked these people and they are mostly sales type mouth pieces judged on how fast they can rid you! As if the tire wear problem wasn't enough agony and waste of money for 18 months until they came out with new specs, they have t punish me again with this PO524E emissions failure from clogged pipes and vents!
Please chime in if anyone has done this job? thank you
Hey Tony. I’m new to this forum but started digging around after our 2016 Metris has this same issue that we use in Wisconsin. After getting the same price quote to repair the problem from the stealership I looked around and found the parts online. Not 100 percent sure if they are right or which ones we need. You seem better versed in this. I cannot attach an exact link but if you go to euro parts-sd.com you should be able to find some parts there including the breather hose assembly for $67.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thats the first I've heard of a M274 dying of low compression/knocking. May have been a parts flaw from the factory.
Dude, the M274 is NOT known for its durability. We've done quite a few in C300's and GLC's. Now the Metris is a downtuned version so its longer lasting, but still the same parts.

101 - 120 of 166 Posts