Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,,thank you.. this is the first of 3 , but the higher mileage 60k one out of the 3 > they are all exact years 2016 and I feel the remaining two Metris's will pull the same crankcase pressure code eventually.
I use the same factory Mercedes oil and filter and the same interval oil changes around 9k ,This is surely a defective issue..
I don't have the time to take out the motor mount and ecm above the work area for a 2 day job , I think its due to a backup of pressure tripping the switch to cause the code p052e. getting to the breather (oil separator box ) is not easy im thinking to get a view of it I have to remove the bottom diaper and look up the drivers side from below on a lift.. ughhh
For 30 years I've always taken care of my small business fleets for many reasons and am so very disappointed in Mercedes approach to us small business owners as a first time with them .They knew I take care of my own vehicles from the start. They rather cater to the rich women who approve anything and say yes to all repairs as long as they can get their nails painted while sipping expresso.. I purchase everything from dealer am treated like a burden!
Im not giving up on this issue.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am waiting for this to happen on my van, I'll be all over them....so far so good though....around 11,500 on mine.

Gotta wonder if using oils with higher evaporative losses (Mobil 1 being one of those) contributes to the issue. I have been using Liquimoly since the van had 3k on it....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had to have my Crankcase Ventilation Purge Valve replaced. I was billed for 12 hours of labor. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?
I’m in the process of dealing with it. It was covered under the ELW, however.
Hi,,thank you.. this is the first of 3 , but the higher mileage 60k one out of the 3 > they are all exact years 2016 and I feel the remaining two Metris's will pull the same crankcase pressure code eventually.
I use the same factory Mercedes oil and filter and the same interval oil changes around 9k ,This is surely a defective issue..
I don't have the time to take out the motor mount and ecm above the work area for a 2 day job , I think its due to a backup of pressure tripping the switch to cause the code p052e. getting to the breather (oil separator box ) is not easy im thinking to get a view of it I have to remove the bottom diaper and look up the drivers side from below on a lift.. ughhh
For 30 years I've always taken care of my small business fleets for many reasons and am so very disappointed in Mercedes approach to us small business owners as a first time with them .They knew I take care of my own vehicles from the start. They rather cater to the rich women who approve anything and say yes to all repairs as long as they can get their nails painted while sipping expresso.. I purchase everything from dealer am treated like a burden!
Im not giving up on this issue.
I am waiting for this to happen on my van, I'll be all over them....so far so good though....around 11,500 on mine.

Gotta wonder if using oils with higher evaporative losses (Mobil 1 being one of those) contributes to the issue. I have been using Liquimoly since the van had 3k on it....

Well Paw, unless the oil type is taking out the purge valve so ,.. I use the proper Mercedes oil and weight early.. I dont think its sludgey oil..Yes I actually think the whole issue here is that the actual part to be replaced which sits right under the air cleaner is the "crankcase purge valve" (black round looks like a clock face) It has no electrical connection and its only reason for existing is to allow the gasses out of the crankcas to escape back into intake to be burnt and allow only at high rpm the valve opens,, well if this valve doesn't work, it causes a build up of pressure in the crankcase.. so its very ODD, that you must purchase the whole elbow and long line and oil separator with the new valve.. when you could simply cut and splice from the top in 20 minutes,, That's what I think I may do! if I can't find the crankcase purge valve as a part number then I see what's going on here! $$$$planned revenue
I do not feel it is necessary for 12.5 hours and removing the drivers motor mount and ECM... this is bs** at its best! If I am successful here I will save $6,500 for my 3 vans. I don't even know why this purge valve has to exist ??...just let all the crankcase gas into the intake at all rpms..I don't want to damage my valves because of backup pressure,. Mercedes is really making me angry since I got involved with them
any comments are welcome

·
Registered
361 Posts
If it has no vacuum or electrical connectors its probably something that can be bypassed or replaced with a simpler solution....if done correctly.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It would great if you find a way around this design without setting off codes. A lot of people on many brands use catch cans with success.

Most don't know this, these engines are a Nissan-MB collaboration. So there are used in many platforms. You would think you'd be hearing about this problem more. Maybe they have different plumbing. I agree 12 hours is BS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It would great if you find a way around this design without setting off codes. A lot of people on many brands use catch cans with success.

Most don't know this, these engines are a Nissan-MB collaboration. So there are used in many platforms. You would think you'd be hearing about this problem more. Maybe they have different plumbing. I agree 12 hours is BS.
I have 3 of these vans so I have to find a way. The valve works on vacuum so if the worst situation Is letting all gasses go back through intake then so be it... this may affect my catalytic 02 sensors and code out so the other option is to get an aftermarket brand purge valve and splice it in,,,sounds simple. I Am still in research mode before I go for it! as of now I first seafoamed the lines and backed it up with pressure and added a 1/2 container to the oil crankcase ,,,drive 1000 mikles and change oil/filter hope the code p052e stays off..if not I splice

·
Registered
255 Posts
I first seafoamed the lines and backed it up with pressure and added a 1/2 container to the oil crankcase
Seafoam in the oil? I'm no mechanic, but you have bigger balls than I do. I've added Seafoam to the fuel tanks in lawn trimmer, a small gas generator, and a gas chainsaw with good results. But, adding it to the engine oil of my van? I dunno about that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seafoam in the oil? I'm no mechanic, but you have bigger balls than I do. I've added Seafoam to the fuel tanks in lawn trimmer, a small gas generator, and a gas chainsaw with good results. But, adding it to the engine oil of my van? I dunno about that.
Actually it is a petroleum product that is great in the oil (not to leave in ) as a tool to soften and liquify sludge and carbon and gum good for oil pump
and then when you change oil all that crap comes out! I never leave it in ,,just for 1000 miles,even thogh the manufacturer states its an additive,,which I don't agree, its a tool only. This whole big deal on calling a part that has no part number for the actual part that's gone is bs* The crankcase purge valve freezes and causes the code and cannot be purchased on its own from Mercedes .without buying the $1000 assembly.. now why would that be? PLANNED REVENUE . it's like they planned this from the start for a simple valve that could have been spliced in under the air housing. I am looking for a replacement valve on another brand and LANE just alerted me that Nissan has their mits in this,so I am hoping in case my seafoam isn't enough to rid the code,,so far so good! $11 dollars spent.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've used seafoam and marvel mystery oil in the oil over the years. No problems. I always used it at the end of the oil change cycle. In my BMW I have put it in at about 14,000 miles of my 15k oil change interval. 365,000 all is good.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The M274 is NOT a Nissan/Mercedes collaboration; it is a pure MB design whose gestation predates the brief collaborative work between Renault/Nissan and Daimler.

Some of the output of the M274/M270 is built in a Nissan plant under license for use in both Mercedes and Infiniti vehicles in, IIRC, Tennessee. It is found in some versions of the Q50 (I think that’s the new model name of the G-series) and the Q30/QX30 which is a reskinned previous gen A-class.

It is possible current Metris cargo vans might use the Nissan built variant, but I would guess not- I would assume it’s use is restricted to fully North America built Mercedes vehicles, because I believe they road test all Metris vans at Vittoria.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The M274 is NOT a Nissan/Mercedes collaboration; it is a pure MB design whose gestation predates the brief collaborative work between Renault/Nissan and Daimler.

Some of the output of the M274/M270 is built in a Nissan plant under license for use in both Mercedes and Infiniti vehicles in, IIRC, Tennessee. It is found in some versions of the Q50 (I think that’s the new model name of the G-series) and the Q30/QX30 which is a reskinned previous gen A-class.

It is possible current Metris cargo vans might use the Nissan built variant, but I would guess not- I would assume it’s use is restricted to fully North America built Mercedes vehicles, because I believe they road test all Metris vans at Vittoria.
thanks for that info Green .I was thinking of looking at Nissan or a generic crankcase purge valve to splice in for this problem of P052e crankcase ventilation PURGE ERROR , however I think I have it licked for $219 instead of $2100 total at dealer.. >$1,000 assembly plus 12 hours labor to install,,, I will share with a link once I am sure here but as of now, the $11 dollar seafoam is working so far that I pressured through the emission lines.. I think the valve was stuck or defective and preventing the crankcase gasses entering back into the intake which in time signals the pressure switch since the pressure in crankcase builds up and crosses the threshold..which causes the code p052e. Does this all make sense to you guys having the issue?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Tony- Of course I can't be entirely sure what caused my problem, but it occurred in Nov so I suspect it had to do with the temperature and moisture build up.

I certainly hope you can come up with an effective solution! I live in Alaska and the closest Metris dealer is in Seattle (or thereabouts) so there is ZERO chance I'll have it covered under my extended warranty here in AK. If I have this problem again, I'd put my van on a barge to Seattle, fix it and then sell the van. Its a poor design and I'm not willing to reward stupidity.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tony- Of course I can't be entirely sure what caused my problem, but it occurred in Nov so I suspect it had to do with the temperature and moisture build up.

I certainly hope you can come up with an effective solution! I live in Alaska and the closest Metris dealer is in Seattle (or thereabouts) so there is ZERO chance I'll have it covered under my extended warranty here in AK. If I have this problem again, I'd put my van on a barge to Seattle, fix it and then sell the van. Its a poor design and I'm not willing to reward stupidity.
I think you will be covered under an Extended warranty as someone had this $2100 job performed with the entire part and 12.5 hours labor covered earlier in this thread,, Its the ones that have no warranty that I feel bad for with this specific issue. $2100 dollar fix at a dealership for emissions at 50k is plain wrong especially when its a $19 plastic vent valve that has no part number,, just the whole assembly to make it a 12.5 hour $2100 2 day dealer job when it really only has to be 30 minutes splicing in a new one. Mercedes "simply the best"at bending over their end users!

·
Registered
267 Posts

Well then what the puck do you call infinity making the w274 engine in Tennessee for Mercedes? I call that collaboration. I never said they ship them to the Spanish metris assembly plant, but they do ship them to the Alabama C class plant. Made by Infinity.

·
Registered
208 Posts
thanks for that info Green .I was thinking of looking at Nissan or a generic crankcase purge valve to splice in for this problem of P052e crankcase ventilation PURGE ERROR , however I think I have it licked for $219 instead of $2100 total at dealer.. >$1,000 assembly plus 12 hours labor to install,,, I will share with a link once I am sure here but as of now, the $11 dollar seafoam is working so far that I pressured through the emission lines.. I think the valve was stuck or defective and preventing the crankcase gasses entering back into the intake which in time signals the pressure switch since the pressure in crankcase builds up and crosses the threshold..which causes the code p052e. Does this all make sense to you guys having the issue?
Does the van run any different or is it just throwing a code? thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does the van run any different or is it just throwing a code? thanks
It seems that there is some hesitation, no leaks or smoke but the code refers to the vent valve which is has a history of being defective operates by vaccum. the van seems to bog with power somewhat compared to other vans >only has 60k on this one of the three. oem Mercedes oil /filter changed every 9k

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well then what the puck do you call infinity making the w274 engine in Tennessee for Mercedes? I call that collaboration. I never said they ship them to the Spanish metris assembly plant, but they do ship them to the Alabama C class plant. Made by Infinity.
When you talk about collaborative parts I’d imagine something like the GM/Ford truck transmission that was designed and developed in a collaborative mannner. The 2002 Toyota Camry was not a collaboration with Subaru, even though for several years Subaru’s Indiana plant built them due to lowish demand for Subarus, sky high demand for Toyota’s, and production capacity in Indiana Toyota didn’t have.

Nissan has nothing to do with the M274; they just build them and use them. There are no Nissan part numbers in one.

The diesel used in FWD Metris vans and Citans, on the other hand, is collaborative. It’s basically a Renault design, but it has substantial modifications made to it for Mercedes use.

·
Registered
31 Posts

AMSOIL only. Contains the most cleaning additives of all. They all lubricate but the difference is in the additives.

·
Registered
41 Posts
so I do know the problem and resolve however we got a nice new bright red REJECTION sticker on my 2nd inspection for emissions,, failed due to emissions which of course is the vent valve breathr oil separator box and tubes off the block 10 hours which means unexpected failure as part of emissions
so im in a fight with a dealer telling the Mercedes Advocacy mouthpiece who are compromisers only know basics and they depend on the dealer to give them advice. So why is the dealer telling Mercedes it should not be part of the emissions warranty. im asking why specifically? they wont tell me.. on this p052e emissions code that states emission fault on rejection paperwork. Why would a new van after 2nd inspection fail emissions that means all 3 of my Metris vans are going to fail which means 3 fights! x $2100 income , they offered me the part so that leaves me with $1200 which still in not right here!!
So I asked them for the part and thanked them and they said NO because I as a fleet mechanic for own fleet am not allowed to change the part without dealer from theor screwup design,
the trouble is in the breather box . TELLING people to pay $2100 to pass emissions 2nd time go? after dealing with the 1 year tire wear every 10k until Mercedes decides to come out with new specs,, my patience is so short with this advocacy group that use to be orange business systems, hired to determine from dealer what is and what should not be convered by assistance.. in my 30 years dealing with fleet maintenance never encountered a bad vendor such as these "in denial f***s "

·
Registered
193 Posts
There are two parts of the USA Federal emissions warranty.

A. Performance Warranty The Performance Warranty covers repairs which are required during the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) because the vehicle failed an emission test. Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs).
B. Design and Defect Warranty The Design and Defect Warranty covers repair of emission related parts which become defective during the warranty period. The Design and Defect warranty for model year 1995 and newer light-duty cars and trucks is outlined below. Design and Defect Warranty Coverage for 1995 and newer light-duty vehicles: • Emission control and emission related parts are covered for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs); and • Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs).
The only emission parts covered under the 8 year/ 80K mile warranty are:

There are three specified major emission control components, covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) on 1995 and newer vehicles: • Catalytic converters • The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU) • The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD)

81 - 100 of 140 Posts