Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
41 - 60 of 302 Posts
i got $76k to budget for repairs to be over that.
Yeah, if you expect astronomical miles then the math looks different! But...

A) Do you expect to pay the same amount for repairs during the last 90k as you did in the first 90k? Even without the ELW?

B) It sounds like you've received far more than $6k worth of repair work in the first 90k. Perhaps I've misread.

C) $76k sounds like a lot. Enough to buy another brand new van if things get tough around 180k;) I suppose that if you put those miles on fast then you aren't going to pay nearly as much in insurance/mile as I'm calculating (expecting only 20k miles per year). What about trolls, parking, speeding tickets, car wash, city stickers, etc?

D) I was probably too pessimistic and hasty with my calculations for the $0.59/mile deduction. I have a few expenses, that many probably don't, which easily push me over that number. That said, if you plan to drive the vehicle till 120k miles and then sell it for $10k, and you expect to pay for full coverage commercial insurance, buy the premium fuel and get all your service done at the dealer, it's not too far from $0.59/mi without any repair costs.

In my case an ELW would have little benefit due to the low miles we put on our van of less than 8k a year...so even if I had the warranty out to 7+ years that would only be in the neighborhood of 60k miles...statistically a major repair in that time frame/miles is extremely unlikely. Plus after the warranty is up I'll be the one repairing it anyways....so the labor is "free".

2016 Metris CCV system NLA?

We have a 2016 Metris and the dealership in Richmond, VA can't find the part number. The old one is the part number that was pictured a few pages back by RansomRidge, but the new part, which MB says is the only one available, doesn't even come close to fitting and is the part number for the MB convertible/coupe. The parts guy stated he talked to a tech and that the tech has been installing this part on the Metris, though we don't know how as the new intake pipe doesn't fit the existing intake design and it has two female ends, whereas the old piece has one male and one female end.

I checked the intake system parts diagram on MB Easton's site and it states the CCV, intake air box, AND the air filter are discontinued, among a few other intake parts. Does anyone know of a way to procure this part, or do we have to go through a re-design of the intake system?

We test fitted the new part just to see if we could make it work, but the line from the intake to the CCV gets in the way of other lines and the DME mount. Any advice?

RansomRidge, how did you get your part and who did you order it through?

Thanks!

Discussion starter · #45 ·
RansomRidge, how did you get your part and who did you order it through?

Thanks!
Zaffer- I had to use a Freightliner dealership, which also sells Sprinters, since there is not a Metris dealership here in Alaska. They too had troubles sourcing the correct part- the local MB dealership gave them the wrong part initially.

My invoice shows the part number as 274 090 02 00, but that might have somehow come through the Freightliner system according what I was told. Of course that does not make a whole lot of sense because Freightliner only sells Sprinters, not the Metris.

Its very disappointing that MB doesn't have their act together on parts. As far as the engine goes, there is really only one model of the Metris in the US with one type of engine.... how hard can it be??? For the price they get for parts, you'd think they'd make it easier to sell those parts.

Good luck- sorry I couldn't offer more help.

Sounds like I’m bringing my checkbook to my 45k service appointment. No ELW. Bought the Metris over the phone and they delivered it to my house three hours away. Never met the salesperson. He never asked if I wanted a ELW.

2017 Metris 45k miles. Just had PCV valve assembly replaced in Metro Detroit area dealership. Part #274-090-02-00.("Air intake line assembly") Cost $1100 includes ''big line+long vent line+short vent line+oil separator and other parts". 8 hours labor=$960. Total cost $2,136.
Other info indicates old intake line replaced perhaps on Feb 8 2019 by MB274-090-17-29-80. Looks like they are trying to solve this problem with redesigned parts. I am writing to Mercedes Customer Service for reimbursement!!!

The part MB274-090-17-29-80 shows in their parts system as a "remanufactured intake line". Interesting....it also appears as being $361 list, but can be had for less...

2017 Metris 45k miles. Just had PCV valve assembly replaced in Metro Detroit area dealership. Part #274-090-02-00.("Air intake line assembly") Cost $1100 includes ''big line+long vent line+short vent line+oil separator and other parts". 8 hours labor=$960. Total cost $2,136.
Other info indicates old intake line replaced perhaps on Feb 8 2019 by MB274-090-17-29-80. Looks like they are trying to solve this problem with redesigned parts. I am writing to Mercedes Customer Service for reimbursement!!!
I hope you get some relief on this. Please keep us posted. It's a defect...I don't care what anyone says.

One of you that have had to deal with the repair should report same way as the fuel line issue was and deemed for recall on all vans at NO cost and reimbursement

The results of the 42k mile check engine light are in. Crankcase ventilation valve assembly and bad engine coolant thermostat housing at $3525 dollars. Whaaat? My inspection is in September so I have some time to find the money to fix it on top of my monthly payments. They asked if I would want to trade it in and I asked if they sold Toyotas. Last time replaced a thermostat was in the '90's on a Subaru wagon that had 210k miles. I am not feeling the "Lifestyle" that Mercedes promotes.

The lifestyle of owning a Mercedes is partially defined by paying large repair and service bills. I say this without intended sarcasm or irony. I hope you got the extended warranty; I would suggest you also request of your dealer some good will. It may we’ll help.

Other European cars are largely similar in this regard. I walked in with my eyes open as a long standing MB owner. I feel for those who didn’t know.

I've been driving MB's for 15+ years and the largest repair I've ever paid was about $1800 for quite a bit of suspension work on my W210 wagon + A/C repair (new compressor/charge).

Good way to drive them relatively inexpensively is to work on them yourself.....I've owned my Metris for a year and its never been to a shop....ever. If the Crankcase ventilation system ever fails out of warranty, I'll tear it apart myself. Minor compared to some of the projects I've done......:surprise:

Reactions: kbcool
The lifestyle of owning a Mercedes is partially defined by paying large repair and service bills. I say this without intended sarcasm or irony. I hope you got the extended warranty; I would suggest you also request of your dealer some good will. It may we’ll help.

Other European cars are largely similar in this regard. I walked in with my eyes open as a long standing MB owner. I feel for those who didn’t know.
I've never heard this put more strongly. You've got me strongly leaning toward a 2020 Diesel Transit.

Personally I think they are worth the cost. Your mileage may vary. Also I suspect that any modern diesel with all the complexity that the 2020 Transit offers won’t exactly be cheap to maintain.

The days of simple and cheap to maintain vehicles like the Ford Econoline or Crown Victoria are basically over... sadly. If you are looking for low maintenance your best bet would probably be the Chevy Express. I’m not sure if you want the 2.8 diesel or perhaps the 4.3 EcoTec3 V6. But even those aren’t as simple as they used to be.

The transits aren't exactly known as perfectly reliable either.....those engines are just about as complex as anything from MB.....and are built to ford standards.....

Reactions: mtbmitch2
Personally I think they are worth the cost. Your mileage may vary. Also I suspect that any modern diesel with all the complexity that the 2020 Transit offers won’t exactly be cheap to maintain.

The days of simple and cheap to maintain vehicles like the Ford Econoline or Crown Victoria are basically over... sadly. If you are looking for low maintenance your best bet would probably be the Chevy Express. I’m not sure if you want the 2.8 diesel or perhaps the 4.3 EcoTec3 V6. But even those aren’t as simple as they used to be.
My Econoline needed new ball joints every 60,000 miles. And a transmission at a 158,000 and the famous intake gasket water leak that flooded the spark plug wells at 200,000. But, other than that it was pretty reliable. Especially the starter and alternator, :grin2: If the Metris has the same issues? Your right it could get very costly. What is the price of a tranny? $8000 or something ridiculous?

A rebuilt 722.9 transmission is in the 3500-4000 range....which makes it cheaper than the transmission my in-laws needed (at 80k) miles for their 2005 Toyota Rav4 ($4,600)......

The 722.9 is a pretty durable transmission, its not really one you hear of failing often. They use this transmission behind WAY more powerful engines than the M274 tune we're running in these vans...

41 - 60 of 302 Posts