Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
181 - 200 of 302 Posts
The price for the crankcase vent valve assembly (it’s expensive because you can’t just replace the valve and it is labor intensive) is not out of line with normal on the Metris (although it’s early failure is definitely a design problem). I would attempt to demand goodwill and reference the known design flaw as the reason.

i remember the pump valve being replaced at the same time; I don’t know the price because it was covered under the ELW. MB parts and labor are expensive, so I would not assume you are being particularly fleeced at that price.

For reference, mine was done at 3 and a half years of age and 93k miles. It is my understanding that the design of the part has changed and you should not have to do it again.

Hello - Just found out my 2016 passenger at 52K check engine light...Replace Crank Case Ventilation system ( engine oil too high) $2152 and Oil pump regulation valve $1800..... is this normal?
Normal for an MB stealer and normal for a working stiff are two different things.
can you tell me the code you had for the oil pump regulation valve?
and does anyone know why the crank case ventilation system is so expensive? What is in it other than plastic and rubber to make it a $1000 item?
Has anyone researched an alternative to the MB $1000 CCV system?

Normal for an MB stealer and normal for a working stiff are two different things.
can you tell me the code you had for the oil pump regulation valve?
and does anyone know why the crank case ventilation system is so expensive? What is in it other than plastic and rubber to make it a $1000 item?
Has anyone researched an alternative to the MB $1000 CCV system?
I could reference my above post where I just explained it but... it is not just a CCV; it’s an entire assembly that it is integral to it that needs to be replaced, and replacing that part, due to its location and what needs to be removed to get at it, is labor intensive. I suspect that this van and engine not being designed for each other from the outset has something to do with it, but I’m not positive on that. Prior to dieselgate getting into the wind, the Metris was supposed to be a diesel van, it was only in early 2015 when MB decided to go gas on it.

I could reference my above post where I just explained it but... it is not just a CCV; it’s an entire assembly that it is integral to it that needs to be replaced, and replacing that part, due to its location and what needs to be removed to get at it, is labor intensive. I suspect that this van and engine not being designed for each other from the outset has something to do with it, but I’m not positive on that. Prior to dieselgate getting into the wind, the Metris was supposed to be a diesel van, it was only in early 2015 when MB decided to go gas on it.
Thank you for your reply, I shall be a little more careful this time. If we leave installation time aside for the moment please:

The OM 274 was installed in different vehicles as well as the Metris: e.g. the C300 250cla, for which I have found

CRANKCASE BREATHER ELEMENT PN 2740901729 (C300 C350E E300 GLC300 GLC350E METRIS SLC300 SLK300 SPRINTER) for $400 from europaParts;
or from eBay a Crankcase Breather Element 2740901729 for $425
From Pelican, an "exchange inlet line" (whatever that is) PN 274-090-172-9-MBZ for$685
Or the CRANKCASE BREATHER ELEMENT PN2740900200 (METRIS) for $1000, again from europaParts
from EuroParts the "Crankcase Vent Valve Assembly Metris 2016, Complete PVC/Crankcase vent valve & hose assembly. for $1033 (no PN)

My question is:- what is the difference between the $400 and the #1033 parts?

I had to have my Crankcase Ventilation Purge Valve replaced. I was billed for 12 hours of labor. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?
Just had mine done. My mechanic is authorized MB and says its a bad design and probably should be a class action suit against them. This engine is in C class cars too with the same issues. I think we should all start to think towards that end goal. There are other common issues with this engine which have similar expensive repairs. One other issue is to make sure you run PREMIUM GAS ONLY. The lower octane fuels cause the valves to break prematurely.

I had a few issues with my Cayenne that were refunded by Porsche after too many people had the same problem. They paid people back for past service and covered it out of warranty.

Depends how wide spread. In this case it was almost always a fatal issue given enough time.

I had a few issues with my Cayenne that were refunded by Porsche after too many people had the same problem. They paid people back for past service and covered it out of warranty.

Depends how wide spread. In this case it was almost always a fatal issue given enough time.
I remember a class action involving people getting burnedby the seat heating system in first generation MLS (W163). It included reimbursement for repairs in the form of a dealer repair credit (I.e. it was only good for work at dealers, and I would guess that when being paid that way they are less likely to work under book) and something like a $500 voucher good for purchasing or leasing a new Mercedes (and again, I suspect that being aware of that being part of the payment mix would get you an inferior deal on the purchase price). I was invited to the class, but I had never been burned by the seat heater in mine, nor had it repaired, so I presumed myself ineligible, and never joined.

I don’t know the actual nature of the problems with the system (burned can mean a variety of things- an 1st degree ouchy is a very different kettle of fish from a 3rd degree skin charring) or the cost of the repair, or Mercedes internal opinion of how much the problem tended to result from an abused product (some of the affected vehicles were approaching their 13th year of service when the suit was filed and W163s were notoriously poorly maintained on average compared to more traditional MB products at the time).

I would tend to think that if this remains a design defect, reimbursement or goodwill discounts will be used as compensation for it. It is possible a class action lawsuit wilol result in a superior PCV design (although it is my understanding that a superior design is already being used and installed on affected vehicles as they get repaired) and assure equal distribution of appropriate recompense rather than it being decided on a case by case basis. I am sure that a major reason for my more positive dealer experience compared to many on here is my 19 years of having my dealer perform almost every single repair on a variety of old and high mileage cars (i could probably buy a new Metris for the amount spent on those vehicles over the years), and the knowledge that if they keep me happy they stand a good chance of performing the 300k mile B service on my Metris and profiting from every part it needs between now and then. And then selling me my next car.

However, generally speaking, the big winner of CASs are the lawyers.

I hope there will be a class action. It's just not right. There are many owners that just afford this type of unnecessary expense. If they would just come out and say, we are going to take care of you, they will sell more cars. Years ago, I was a Volvo loyist...my S80 had a TB failure that about caused a crash. I had to pay $800 for the POS replacement. About a year later I got a check for $800 from the class action lawsuit. But, I had a!ready moved to another brand. So they lost 2 consumers/customers, my wife and I from that ordeal. I am extremely brand loyal, almost fanatical...until you screw me...it's one chance with me...I'm gone after that.

I have a lot of Sidi motorcycle boots, sport bikes, track,motocross and enduro boots and bicycle shoes. I had a sole failure that was after warranty. I called them and talked with them....they said no. I said do you have a email for management in Italy? I sent pics to both US and HQ of all my Sidi boots lined up...Some of them over $500. They said sorry for your troubles we have a new pair on the way. I will never leave their side!

Thanks for the update on your costs. I'm envious of the discount that you received! Clearly you have far more wit, charm, good looks and/or better rapport with your dealer than I do. Since I'm 1400 miles from ANY Metris dealership, there were no options to find the best dealership to deal with. I tried to get MBUSA to at least pay for the part since my van is still under the original warranty, but they didn't give me the time of day since the work wasn't done at a Metris dealership.

To add clarity on my problem, it did occur in the winter, back in November. I had been out camping in my van for 4 nights in mild temps (20's to low 30's F). I would idle the van for 20 to maybe 30 minutes or so each morning to warm things up and charge my aux battery. Late in the afternoon I'd drive the van for 30 to 45 minutes to charge my battery and get the engine up to normal operating temps. I then drove over 12 hours at highway speeds. The Check Engine Light came on the second time I drove the van after getting home from that trip. A technician at the local Sprinter dealer said its a fairly common problem on Sprinter engines when the vans are idled a lot. I'm not sure how relevant his comment is though. A Sprinter engine is probably quite different since its diesel. And I would hope that 20 to 30 minutes of idling a few times in mild temps doesn't cause a problem with this part.

I've attached pics of the part number on the box as well as the part itself. The Sprinter service manager said they had trouble getting the right part since the part numbers had been changed recently. I counted 8 hose connections and 2 electrical connections. Its way more than a simple hose.
What do we think of running a heavy duty intake cleaner through this system to clean it out? I'm hoping mine is just plugged enough to throw a code, but not too plugged to prevent AC Delco top engine cleaner from flowing through and removing the sludge.

Hi There,

Also, have same problem with fault code P052E71. First time happened around 55,000 miles ( $1,300 repair) in 2019 April. Now it is happening again 85,000 - 2021 April. I think that part does not like cold weather. Probably it gets frozen and then you have it, check engine light comes on. I think this part should be on recall list or something. I have heard that MB redesigned this part, I hope this will fix the problem. Going in for service next week. Does anyone have some coupons? ;)

I am sure that would be covered under an emissions warranty; however I was mistaken as to its coverage.

I had two codes; one involved a failure of an oil pump control valve, which was covered by the ELW; That was an actual 12 hour job.

The purge valve was NOT covered by the ELW. My dealership got MB to give me good will in the form of covering 75% of the part cost, and I paid 100% of the non-duplicate labor from the other repair. I paid labor in the amount of $612 plus $250 ish for the part.

My service advisor told me that this has been an issue with all vehicles equipped with the M274; Mercedes considers the valve a wear part (surprise surprise) which is why it is not covered. He assured me however that assuming my vehicle continues to be properly maintained I should be able to get a similar goodwill gesture if it happens again.

If I seem happy about it, I’m not, although I do appreciate my dealer going to bat for me. I emphasize the importance of finding a good dealer.
I had the same two issues Crank Case assembly and the oil pump control vale. The oil pump issue turned out to be defective wiring harness and not the sensor. Mechanic said he had seen faulty wiring harnesses before and MB has since improved the design. Save a few hundred on that one

Welp, P052e is back for me. I have to thank MB for putting the effort into the high quality german engineered replacement as I got nearly 30k miles out of this one. The first only lasted 27k miles, must of been a lemon.

Welp, P052e is back for me. I have to thank MB for putting the effort into the high quality german engineered replacement as I got nearly 30k miles out of this one. The first only lasted 27k miles, must of been a lemon.
Sorry. So what is the dealer saying to you about this? Do you feel like there is something to do with cold weather like another member?

It doesn't get too cold here in the mid atlantic. Hasn't made it to the dealer yet but it's the same as the last time. Shouldn't be going through crackcase vents faster than tires.
Ok so this time around MB replaced 274-090-57-00 Intake Line due to an actuator valve blockage AND 278-180-04-15 Directional Control Valve due to the oil pump actuator valve being shorted. The last time the van threw this code 274-090-02-00 Intake Line or crankcase vent valve was replaced. Not sure if the intake and oil pump valve are related at all. 274-090-57-00 seems like it was much much easier to replace than the crankcase vent but the oil pan had to get dropped to replaced the other control valve.

I had pcv issue with my 1.8tsi wv so inhave changed membrane myself it was 15usd fix.
What i can see from the picture above there is similar round box , is that housing the membrane diaphragm?
If so, may be replacing the diaphragm can solve the problem....

181 - 200 of 302 Posts