Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Crankcase Ventilation Purge Valve

156K views 301 replies 83 participants last post by  redlightning 
#1 ·
I had to have my Crankcase Ventilation Purge Valve replaced. I was billed for 12 hours of labor. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

#8 ·
Looks like the part is barely $50 online.....probably just a pain to get to. Doubt its any harder than the engine mounts on a W210 or the inner intake grommets on a M116 engine.

#9 ·
Thanks for the comments and additional info. I have just under 23K on my van. No Metris dealers here in Alaska and MB USA won't pay for anything if its not done at a METRIS dealership so any MB warranty is worthless up here. Nice to know that they value their dealers so highly and leave the customer without any warranty support what so ever.... The local MB dealership's service department won't even look at my Metris.

Lance on the Fence- $1500, I wish! Labor is $130 per hour at the Freightliner/Sprinter dealership. I use them since I hoped they might have better access to MB tech data and parts. But no, MB apparently has a pretty tight grip on troubleshooting info and access to parts. Part of the labor costs are for tracking down tech data and trying to get the part.

Pawo007- You must have looked up the wrong part. Try $840 and that is supposedly discounted. The part number listed is 274 090 02 00 but that may have come through the Freightliner parts system.

When I look at the old part, I can see that its clearly not a 2 hour job to swap it out. I'm hoping our favorite Metris mechanic can give an estimate on how long it might take someone that works on a Metris on a regular basis to swap out the part.

#14 ·
I wonder if that could be considered part of the emissions system and fall under that warranty coverage....which is 80k miles per federal law....

There's a ton of these engines out on the road in various vehicles for 4+ years now, seems like if it was real widespread there'd be more about it online....I searched around under some of the other modes the M274 is found in and didn't come up with anything.

Reactions: focus805
#15 ·
Pawo, I found a couple post on it, but agree, it doesn't seem to be widespread. I did read somewhere that stated it's worse the farther north you go, and it went on to say they are insulating the hoses now.

I did a good bit of research on the system, it is very complex compared to the previous system of venting the crankcase. It's a split system, high rpm and low rpm. Lots of hoses...very expensive. The one on my BMW is about $90 and about 3 or 4 hoses for another $75 or so and much easier to replace. I guess we'll see how these will hold up.

#17 ·
I am pretty far north....I guess we'll see how it goes. I suspect that oil vapor condenses in the tube when its cold and slowly clogs it. I've seen similar condensation in the valve cover oil caps on the M112 and M113 gas engines that have a "tall plastic tube" that stands off the valve cover for the oil cap and thus is much colder than its surroundings.

#16 ·
I am sure that would be covered under an emissions warranty; however I was mistaken as to its coverage.

I had two codes; one involved a failure of an oil pump control valve, which was covered by the ELW; That was an actual 12 hour job.

The purge valve was NOT covered by the ELW. My dealership got MB to give me good will in the form of covering 75% of the part cost, and I paid 100% of the non-duplicate labor from the other repair. I paid labor in the amount of $612 plus $250 ish for the part.

My service advisor told me that this has been an issue with all vehicles equipped with the M274; Mercedes considers the valve a wear part (surprise surprise) which is why it is not covered. He assured me however that assuming my vehicle continues to be properly maintained I should be able to get a similar goodwill gesture if it happens again.

If I seem happy about it, I’m not, although I do appreciate my dealer going to bat for me. I emphasize the importance of finding a good dealer.

#18 ·
I am sure that would be covered under an emissions warranty; however I was mistaken as to its coverage.

The purge valve was NOT covered by the ELW. My dealership got MB to give me good will in the form of covering 75% of the part cost, and I paid 100% of the non-duplicate labor from the other repair. I paid labor in the amount of $612 plus $250 ish for the part.

My service advisor told me that this has been an issue with all vehicles equipped with the M274; Mercedes considers the valve a wear part (surprise surprise) which is why it is not covered. He assured me however that assuming my vehicle continues to be properly maintained I should be able to get a similar goodwill gesture if it happens again.

If I seem happy about it, I’m not, although I do appreciate my dealer going to bat for me. I emphasize the importance of finding a good dealer.
Thanks for the update on your costs. I'm envious of the discount that you received! Clearly you have far more wit, charm, good looks and/or better rapport with your dealer than I do. Since I'm 1400 miles from ANY Metris dealership, there were no options to find the best dealership to deal with. I tried to get MBUSA to at least pay for the part since my van is still under the original warranty, but they didn't give me the time of day since the work wasn't done at a Metris dealership.

To add clarity on my problem, it did occur in the winter, back in November. I had been out camping in my van for 4 nights in mild temps (20's to low 30's F). I would idle the van for 20 to maybe 30 minutes or so each morning to warm things up and charge my aux battery. Late in the afternoon I'd drive the van for 30 to 45 minutes to charge my battery and get the engine up to normal operating temps. I then drove over 12 hours at highway speeds. The Check Engine Light came on the second time I drove the van after getting home from that trip. A technician at the local Sprinter dealer said its a fairly common problem on Sprinter engines when the vans are idled a lot. I'm not sure how relevant his comment is though. A Sprinter engine is probably quite different since its diesel. And I would hope that 20 to 30 minutes of idling a few times in mild temps doesn't cause a problem with this part.

I've attached pics of the part number on the box as well as the part itself. The Sprinter service manager said they had trouble getting the right part since the part numbers had been changed recently. I counted 8 hose connections and 2 electrical connections. Its way more than a simple hose.

Attachments

#20 ·
Agree, we just don't have the def. These are very complex and amazing engines. Our fuel pressure in the fuel rail can get up to 2900 psi...with the injector spraying multiple times per stroke. Well, if it gets real bad..I will yank this engine and transmission out and put in a 1975 Ford 289 with a manual 4 speed. I have a nice welder...I can make some nice motor mounts. Lol

#22 ·
We had a CEL and my scanner showed P052e. I did a little bit of research, including this thread, to figure out what that would involve. I called the dealership and told them that I expected it to be covered under the ELW. They agreed and we got our Metris back today.

The invoice says "P052E71 the valve for crankcase ventilation has a malfunction. The actuator is blocked, requires replacement of the PCV, p/a sent out. Performed the PCV and intake line replacement as per WIS procedures." The invoice shows part #274-090-02-00.

We had no problems with getting the service done and there was no charge, thankfully. BTW, our odometer is at 106,879 kms.

#23 ·
Same situation here, we had ours replaced yesterday under warranty, though our '16 metris only has 26k miles on it. Only symptom was the CEL w/same p052e code. This is definitely a time-consuming repair job. From the service records, it looks like they had to remove half of the under-hood components to get to it. I dropped the vehicle off at 7:30 am and they barely got it done by closing time at 6pm, though we had the B service and fuel line recall work done at the same time.

#25 ·
My check engine light has been going on one off for a couple of weeks and I am 600 miles away from my 45k service. I am in Northern NH and it’s been under 10 degrees for a couple of months. What is the “ELW” mean that has been me mentioned?

I wasn’t expecting a check engine light at 41k miles. I am original owner.

#28 ·
Make adventure, I think a good syn. oil at 15,000 miles as recommended is fine...unless you you do a lot of short trips. From what I've read, the problem is more pronounced in the northern latitudes and I think they have better insulated the unit. I know BMW went through this year's ago. But the BMW unit, at least in mine if fairly easy to change.

The fact that this is $2500 to change a wear item is a bad design. This van is not my primary vehicle...So when I drive it, it's normally a couple of hundred miles. I hope this helps with longevity.

#30 ·
I paid I think $3500 for 7/120k total coverage. I say it’s worth it because I have already had well over $3500 worth of warranty work done through the ELW, not including some $2200 worth of MB Goodwill, the receiving of which was probably influenced by having the warranty, Nor including work done before the van’s 3/36k Factory warranty expired.

So I think that it has directly or indirectly saved me over $6k worth of repair costs, and I thus I recommend it’s purchase wholeheartedly.

#35 ·
I don't think that's so bad. I had a 2001 Honda Civic for 14 years, 175K miles. Cost $15K new, always serviced at Honda dealers, except for new tires, which I got from Tire Rack. It had all recommended maintenance. Total cost for service and parts was $15K.

Depends on what is included when you do the addition.