Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just checked my coolant today on a routine inspection. Level is now ~1" below the full mark inside the expansion tank but the dash light isn't on yet. I had to top it off about a year ago already and I filled it to the mark.

Anyone else have the coolant very slowly dropping like this? Could be a very small leak. I wonder if a pressure leakdown test would find anything at this slow of a rate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started my metris this morning and left to get something in my house. When I returned to the van the coolant indicator was on my dash board telling me to check levels. I move the car 2 feet and it went away. Is this normal for a van with 2,000 miles on it. I am one day over due for service A even tho I had the van only for 3 month. I'm waiting for the motor to cool to check level. I been drive it through the morning and haven't seen it pop up again. There was no signs leaking when I left this morning.
I happened to me twice, I just about a barrel of metris coolant and add it if it shows up again

·
Registered
94 Posts
Back in the cold snap we had (almost nationwide) in 2021 I got the "coolant low" pop-up after the temp was in the single digits (F) overnight. I checked the overflow and it didn't seem low. After driving it for a couple minutes it went away. But it's done it a few times since, including on a morning when it was in the 40s. The thing is, I've noticed a faint coolant smell around the front of a vehicle many times. For a while I wasn't sure if it was a different vehicle or mine but now I'm sure it's my Metris. I've never seen any signs of a leak or low levels in the overflow. Any of you noticing an anti-freeze smell (faint) around the hood of the van?

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
Mine has popped up a few times in the past month, when it is cold in the morning. Panicked a bit at first. It is visibly low. Talked to the dealer service advisor who became manager, and I have now seen for over 10 years or so, the first time it happened, and he said ( paraphrasing ) it is common these days for that engine type and Metris.

Declined to go in right away due to scheduling issues with an appointment two weeks out. Nor was I going to top it up myself. Now I’m waiting to hear back when I can get in to get it document and get something else fixed. That five foot long plastic wiper motor cover was never clipped in at the bottom of the windshield and keeps collecting more leaves and seeds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My low coolant message came on the other day too. Van was due for a service anyway. Never checked the level but kept my eye on the temp gauge. All seems well. Did smell coolant a few times but never seen any drops under the van. Even a few time when checking in at gated communities, the gards told me they smell coolant. Took the van for a service, 60 000 miles and dealer just topped it up and did not mention anything about a leak.

I guess time will tell if it will be a problem or not. Fingers crossed it is not.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I smell coolant as well, have been since day one. I'm certain it's venting not leaking....It's that top notch quality.
My BMW 530I has 390,000 and I've never smelled coolant.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
Mine seems to remain at about the same level.
Cold mornings it will prompt. Then it is fine for several days.

Setup a service appointment, to document it and top up the level, ... except I have to wait another 4 weeks.

Supposedly due to a few Sprinter recalls totaling 176000 vehicles nationwide. Besides the recalls for other vehicles.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
I took the van to have the dealer check the coolant smell. They didn't get to it for an hour so they said no smell. Did a pressure test and it check out. They just commented they thought it was normal with a Turbo. Well, I have 3 other Turbo cars and none smell like coolant. One smells like oil, but that's another story. I told them that I will schedule a time to come in and have their tech come out while the van is still hot with coolant smell. We left it at that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have two Metri (Metrises?) and have had this issue on our 95k mile 2016 for the past several years and past 50k miles. Can smell cooking/burning coolant quite often but never a drop or leak anywhere and no sight of fumes either. During our entire course of ownership (since new) have only had to top up a total of maybe one bottle of coolant altogether. Both the dealer and non-dealer mechanic have checked and found no leaks and said this is normal for the Metris. The low coolant warning comes on regularly and the tank never appears to be low - but I add a little when I get sick of seeing the warning and then it seems fine for anywhere from weeks to months. Haven't had the issue to any degree (yet) on our 2017. Still somewhat bothered, as we have owned a lot of vehicles over the years and the only ones in which I ever smelled coolant like this had a leak of some sort.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
That’s re-assuring and interesting.
Another two weeks before they top mine off to where it needs to be.

I drove a Chrysler T&C for 200k miles ( I still miss her, she was my first van ;) ) which always had the coolant at the low mark. You could fill it up to high and I’m sure whatever was added just blew right through the overflow port when she was warmed up. ;) It was a worry at first, then ok, keep an eye on this, to well that’s just how it is. No warnings, no issues, drives fine … of course this pre-dates an electronic coolant low monitor. :D

21 - 33 of 33 Posts