Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started my metris this morning and left to get something in my house. When I returned to the van the coolant indicator was on my dash board telling me to check levels. I move the car 2 feet and it went away. Is this normal for a van with 2,000 miles on it. I am one day over due for service A even tho I had the van only for 3 month. I'm waiting for the motor to cool to check level. I been drive it through the morning and haven't seen it pop up again. There was no signs leaking when I left this morning.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would definitely check the level. If fine maybe the sensor stuck if using magnetic type float switch. Although they maybe using a resistance type probe. IDK. I plan on getting way more familiar with this vans mechanicals as time goes by. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would definitely check the level. If fine maybe the sensor stuck if using magnetic type float switch. Although they maybe using a resistance type probe. IDK. I plan on getting way more familiar with this vans mechanicals as time goes by. :D
I check it and everything looks fine. Well according to the manual

·
Registered
285 Posts
I check it and everything looks fine. Well according to the manual
I know what you mean "according to the manual". To me my oil level seems low if I check it in the morning before starting it and all the oils in the pan. It reads low on the dip stick. But, according to the manual your supposed to check it when oil is warm and car has been sitting for 5 minutes. At that point oil level is perfect. :confused:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I had that issue early. I took it to my local dealer and the valet service determined it was a tad low and topped it no charge. I was on the road in 5 minutes. I would do that if I were you, and ask them to note it on the service record. They probably just screwed up with the top up early, but when it comes to claims relating to problems down the line it is good to have an early record of that mistake.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had that issue early. I took it to my local dealer and the valet service determined it was a tad low and topped it no charge. I was on the road in 5 minutes. I would do that if I were you, and ask them to note it on the service record. They probably just screwed up with the top up early, but when it comes to claims relating to problems down the line it is good to have an early record of that mistake.
If it comes on again I'll take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this in my cargo that we got last week. It actually came up on the test drive. I brought it back in for them to top off and they said the wires were frayed or similar. They fixed it up on Friday and so far that night and Saturday I didn't get any errors. For what it's worth, it was also saying 150 or so days overdue for Service A when I took delivery.

·
Read Only
16 Posts
We had that issue of low coolant warning coming up regularly just before we brought the van in for its first Service A. I mentioned it to the service manager and she promised to have it taken care of. We got the van back and the next day the warning came on again. We brought it in the next week and the tech said that the coolant was just a little low - just low enough for the sensor to go off but nothing to worry about. At the very least, that makes it an inconvenience to have the warning show up. Either the coolant is low or it isn't...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Happened to me a couple of times. Usually on the first start up on a cold morning, with the vehicle parked nose up on a slight incline.
Checked the coolant level. It didn't really look low, but I added just a little bit and it's not happened since.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've never heard that about checking the oil when warm. I've always checked cold. I know one thing for sure, it has consumed less that one quart in 9000 miles. I'm very pleased. It consumed a little until about 5k and it stopped.

·
Registered
939 Posts
We fill the bottle up u til you can't then cap. Voila, no light.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well the pass few morning start up my coolant indicator has been popping up even tho I have add some I guess it's time to bring it in. After van warms up it goes away

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had the same issue on cool mornings, then it goes away when I start it later in the day. It has stayed off for several days then come back on when the nights have been cooler. I'm thinking it is right at the sensors warning level. It's at the dealer for service today so I told them to check it out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had the same issue on cool mornings, then it goes away when I start it later in the day. It has stayed off for several days then come back on when the nights have been cooler. I'm thinking it is right at the sensors warning level. It's at the dealer for service today so I told them to check it out.
Keep us update with what they say about this. I hope the light comes when it's there so they see it before they tell you that there isn't anything wrong.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I add coolant about a month ago everything was fine until now I started up the van and the add coolant lite up on the dashboard. I shut the van pop the hood and saw it's little low I add some and the light went away can this van be losing coolant quick

·
Registered
151 Posts
Same is happening when parked in my sloped driveway.

I have half a bottle of Pentosin G12 (pink stuff, "OA/OAT") left over from my Audi, but that isn't labeled for MB since the formula doesn't have silicates. Since I'm topping off with such a small amount, would it even matter if I just used the stuff I have on hand?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Same is happening when parked in my sloped driveway.

I have half a bottle of Pentosin G12 (pink stuff, "OA/OAT") left over from my Audi, but that isn't labeled for MB since the formula doesn't have silicates. Since I'm topping off with such a small amount, would it even matter if I just used the stuff I have on hand?
Mine did the same thing. I just topped it off with some distilled water. Wasn't much!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine did it several months ago. I added 8 oz. of distilled water, which turned off the light, and then bought a gallon of the pink stuff from the dealer. I added 8 oz. of that which brought the level up to seam in the jug. I have been checking it and it seems to be staying at that level.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine did it several months ago. I added 8 oz. of distilled water, which turned off the light, and then bought a gallon of the pink stuff from the dealer. I added 8 oz. of that which brought the level up to seam in the jug. I have been checking it and it seems to be staying at that level.

When i initially got the low coolant light i thought for sure the hose leaving the coolant bottle had rubbed itself a hole in it. But, when i checked the next day i saw no leak. Only some wear marks from contact with a component on the drivers side of the engine. But, even if it's not leaking now it should have been shielded. Has anyone identified a source of leak?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts