Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-
I'd like to convert a used Metris passenger to a cargo. Why: I like the visibility, the painted bumpers, the nicer wheels, and the nicer seats. I haven't bought one yet, but it's the right size and payload.
Here are the challenges I see:
1. Stripping the lower rear interior panels (electronics or air bags to be aware of?).
2. Finding the wire bulkhead.
3. Finding a low height roof rack that is strong enough for lumber and ladders (I'm a carpenter). My garage opening is 83" high. I note that a lot of the racks a big on plastic, and one of the makers wants their rack removed before going thru a car wash. The passenger van is 74 1/2" high.
4. What am I not thinking of?

Thanks for your ideas.
Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the same position as you seem to be Bob. I’m also a carpenter- cabinets and furniture, and I think this van would be a great opportunity to downsize a bit and still accomplish 90% of what I need a van for. I need the passenger model to put a car seat in and remove as necessary for deliveries/installs.

There’s another thread about converting, but it could use a little more meat, so I’m hoping there are others that have some additional insight. 100% Following.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Consider the flooring options and if you need the rails. I put vinyl under the rails so I could put 2nd row seats in as needed. The rear seat is heavy and cumbersome to remove. The rails also give me a variety of tie down options.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
260 Posts
Consider the flooring options and if you need the rails. I put vinyl under the rails so I could put 2nd row seats in as needed. The rear seat is heavy and cumbersome to remove. The rails also give me a variety of tie down options.
I store the seats in the barn on a 4x8 platform (old community hall stage section) the same height as the van floor with a plywood bridge across to the van side door. I find if I “roll” the seat upside down I can lift it by the frame and move it along on fairly easily the plastic headrest receivers by myself. I take them in and out as needed. When the seats aren’t in, I put Gorilla tape over the slots in the track to stop stuff from falling in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been shopping for a Metris cargo van with double side doors which are hard to find. Locally a dealer took a trade for a passenger Metris and offered it to me wholesale, so I was wondering whether I could convert it to a full cargo van. Only problem with this one is it has the single rear door and I couldn't load it with a forklift, but it still got me thinking to search for a good deal on a passenger unit with double rear doors and convert it inside. Did any of you complete this conversion?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
With the non-comfort suspension all you really have to do is remove the seats and put a fitted plywood floor down over the carpet or plastic floor. I use mine as a crew van just fine. You lose a bit of width in the back but... otherwise straight forward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, I would need to do a full conversion which includes removing all side paneling and the rear AC, completely gutting the cargo area. Not very straightforward at that level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts