Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Conversions on Metris in So California

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Premier Upfits 
#1 ·
Has anybody had conversion work done in So Cal? There seems to be a lot of Sprinter conversions and no mention of a Metris

#3 ·
Electrically, the Metris and 4 cyl sprinter are pretty similar.

Are you looking for someone to do the full conversion, or half DIY / half out sourced?

As a practical matter, a van conversion shop that does quality work on a sprinter will be able to do quality work on a metris.

#6 ·
The MB body builder guide for the two vehicles is pretty similar, at least electrically. For example in both cases, the alternator / battery charging interaction uses the very active mode interaction. As an example of what this means, the alternator (and some other items) turn off during acceleration so that the engine power is focused on that task. During braking, excess energy in the engine (from it slowing down) is diverted to the alternator so it is fast charging the starter battery pack.

This results in larger than normal voltage swings in the starter battery (vs more traditional vehicle designs). From the perspective of a conversion and the additional electrical loads, it more or less means that someone with a sprinter or metris starting point needs to have an auxiliary battery pack that is largely isolated from the starter battery pack. We have some products that allow pulling some power from the engine / alternator, but mostly you end up relying on solar for these conversion applications.

If the builder tells you that their concept of charging from the engine / alternator is a low voltage disconnect, then they need to do some more reading first.

Starting in 2020, nearly all vans from all suppliers will have this very active interaction going on. It is going to be challenging for some up fitters / body builders to accept these more advanced concepts.

#8 ·
American Camper Shells and Vanworks did a fantastic custom conversion on my 2018 cargo. Very pleased with the job, we’ve driven 20,000 miles already. They’re located in Stanton (north Orange County). Kyle was my contact, please tell him I referred you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.