Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the incentive to finish my cargo van conversion. It's not typical camper style just plushed out a bit. Can used as a sleeper but also a cool place to hang out before a concert. I tried to keep the look simple but I had no idea how complex the job really would be as it's my first time doing this sort of thing. Insulated the entire interior and borrowed the ceiling idea from another post on this forum. Glued E-Z Flex carpet to most exposed white steel and wrapped wall panels with Cordura nylon. Has 200 watts of HQST mono solar panels, a Winegard RS-3035 antenna system, a Maxxaire 6200K ventilator, BedRug floor and a Yeti 400 Lithium power cell. The van came with the metal partition so I worked with that to create the storage/video wall. LED spots and ultraviolet leds in the ceiling panel. All systems are controlled by a simple switch box that options solar or standard campsite power hookup with an off detent; no backfeeding of power is the result. Finished it off with a CouchBed. Will have to send another post for pics of the finished product as my photo files are too large.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
340 Posts
Great looking work! I like your solar panel set up- it leaves the roof rack more usable.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The intent was to reduce the number of roof penetrations and allow ventilation underneath since cooler panels run more efficiently. Got a great deal on a set of used oem racks on ebay. The crossrails are rather cheap aftermarket ones but had a nice low profile when compared to the MB version.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all. Here's a pic of the CouchBed. It really is the perfect size for this application. Haven't tried sleeping on it yet but would expect it to be rather firm. Did christen the job with a glass of red last night sitting on it. It's a good vibe; kinda limo-like.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I fabricated dummy lamps from a block of acrylic plastic to fit the space where they would be. The stainless steel trim I had placed there looked ridiculous without some sort of lens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The intent was to reduce the number of roof penetrations and allow ventilation underneath since cooler panels run more efficiently. Got a great deal on a set of used oem racks on ebay. The crossrails are rather cheap aftermarket ones but had a nice low profile when compared to the MB version.
I just sent those OMAC cross rails back for false advertising. And, I didn't trust them to hold a roof top carrier box. But for a solar panel, they are perfect. Let us know how they hold up. And nice looking setup!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used medium gray E-Z Flex 18oz 80" auto carpet. The ebay dealer I used doesn't have that particular one in stock right now but can be found from a number of sources. Unlike most carpet of this type this one is un-backed which makes it more stretchable and able to follow the convoluted contours of the structural members.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed, the slip-on plastic end sleeves seem to be the weak point. Also found it necessary to glue the rubber covers to the clamps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love your conversion, bfreidah. How did you attach the solar panels to the cross rails? Have you had any issues with the panel installation? I just received my OMAC cross rails for a similar set up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My 2 panels side by side were about the same width of the space between the MB rails. Each HQST panel is approx. 36"x26" and I mounted the panel ends to the cross rails in my shop using stock flat aluminum and stainless screws drilled in to the undersides of the panels and rails so the tops were even with the tops of the cross rails for less wind drag. The 2 panels were attached to each other in the same way for more rigidity. Then the whole thing just dropped into place on the stock rails and can unclamped if service is required. This also provides adequate airflow beneath the panels for maximum cooling and efficiency. You can't really tell the panels are there from the ground. No problems with the whole setup though I had to get a warranty replacement on the Yeti Goal Zero lithium system.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts