Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Metris owners! So SORRY for the long-winded post but it is informative! I originally posted this issue as the owner and fleet servicer of my 2016 metris vans 5 months after getting them on the issue of eating tires on the outer edge. We rotate and maintain air pressure.
Orange Business Service is the hired mouthpiece from MB to shut people up like myself who do not want to admit to a problem. i CALLED 18 TIMES on record, talking to agents whom do not have a technical bone in their body, all mouth!
We all know the Hancooks are garbage and should have never been put on this van stated from many independents , but putting on any other tire Michelin, Conti, that might yield as much as 20k is a wish I could only hope for. MB is SIMPLY THE BEST at denying they have a problem with engineering,,, the dealers have their hand tied, and all finally admit that the Mercedes metris vans and sprinters eat tires! MB refuses to change anything! since they say there is no warranty on tires its wear and tear, So now back and forth 6 months with them and I have to take them in again for diagnostic. I really just prefer to drive all 3 through the MB FACTORY,
The agent for ORANGE BUSINESS, which poses as MB , and records my conversations denies there is any complaints of course even after I gave them proof Then I stated, look at the world wide web and google outer tire wear, its incredible how many issues there are and I have boiled it down to the 5 spoked alloy fancy polished rim! They dont' want to hear it, but I told them its offset is so weighted dowm, the force pushes out so heavy you may as well hang a 5 pound beef bone on the outer edge while driving, This also explains why the brake pads wear outer edge first 2 to 1. had my first set of virgin brakes go in rear at 38k outer rotor side scratched no warning! i performed the brake job with 2 new rear rotors and noticed the driver side also wore the same way. Very sad to see a one piston caliper too!
makes it look like there is a defective caliper problem, but I'm sure the rim is huge contribution from the centrifugal outer force from the extreme offset of this rim . I also have one van with 2 spares and new garbage hancooks, and with these rims no tire wear yet 6k trying to prove it is these rims!
Asked MB POSERS at ORANGE Business (because dealers cant get anywhere with them) that i HAVE 3 VANS doing the same wear prematurely, I AM NOT GOING TO REPLACE TIRES EVERY 12K and by treating the symptom of replacing to a better tire is NOT fixing the problem. The rims are so top heavy,,that I went to independent large tire chains and most are saying no we cant help >your better off going to the dealer, which has not been any help! In fact went to a different dealer who knows the issue, admits the issue, but cannot change the engineering by letting us try a different aftermarket rim that would be so much more balanced! MB must be so arrogant and miserable for their dealers!
The 3 vans are going in again for a safety recall for loose tranny cross member bolts so they are only offering me another diagnostic and alignment for the tire issue which we did before with same tire wear!
Nothing upsets me more than putting aside responsibility and denying an issue that's very real. I do not operate my business this way (very service oriented field service on canon xerox scanning color networks) I've been taking care of all my fleets for 30 years and have never seen a firm like MB treat a small business this bad and I promise to resolve this but they should be kissing my cheeks since I think these rims are on many of the MB vehicles including SUV. Many of the MB models are wearing tires in under 20k, seems to be a huge complaint! Funny, as bad as the hancooks are, they dont seem to be wearing on the Kias or Hyundais..
MB doesn't know I service 3500 CORPORATIONS, all having MB,..because they have wasted my time saying to just accept it nothing can be done with tire warranties looks like I have to make the tire firms now go after them because they won't want to keep giving us tires that do not last! We have wasted so much time and money here, I am in this till the end! Sorry for the long wind post, but MB is our of control...quick to sell , not support! and everyone will hear about this. Sad thing also, I offered to assist by reporting to them until they resolve the issue but they said there is no issue!
I am not the type to whine or bitch, but they are going to be very sorry in the end! I will keep you all posted,
Right now I am getting new Michelin LTX/MX at $180 each 12 tires with an alignment. All i want is a 60k warrantied tire to last 30K on these vans, if they do not>then it is not the tire, but MB SAYS oh well sorry, we cannot put anything in writing on normal wear and tear..
What gets me upset, is these same vans as the VITO in Italy drive on cobblestione streets all day, and my distant relative who works for Ferrari checked into this for me and there is no issue there. This has been the worst experience as a service technician fleet mechanic ever , they make Ford look like the ANGELS from heaven and what is sad is they've been making vehicles how long?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have experienced the same issues with these wheels, in terms of brakes and tire wear. My last two sets have been Michelin and not much better. I have less than 43K miles and am about ready to get my FOURTH set of tires. Has anyone had this problem with the base wheels? Has anyone with the five-spoke wheels changed wheels to see if it corrects the issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The steel wheels don't wear any better in my limited experience. Under 18k miles and the tires are about done. Thankfully since the Hancooks are noisy junk. I was hoping an alignment would fix the problem before installing new. We'll see.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have about 2000 miles on my passenger van and can’t tell if the tires are wearing too quickly yet. But I am keeping an eye on it.

Is this an issue with both the passenger and cargo vans?

Just curious if it is like the transmission bolt recall, since that only applies to cargo vans, which were also assembled in the USA.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
342 Posts
Got my passsenger van last January (10 week wait). Thought I'd try all weather tires on the 5 spoke wheels to avoid the time and cost of 2x/yr changeover even if they don't last as long. Took off the Hankooks and put on Toyo Celsius my local guy carries (he treats me well, with all the trailers, tractors etc I have about 60 tires at my place). They started with an 8mm tread. I just had my first A service at 23564 km (14624 mi) and the treads were measured at LF 6mm, RF 5.5mm, LR 4mm, RR 4mm. (brake pads were 12mm front, 10mm rear.) The service cost was $330.92 (~$250 US) before tax at M-B London and took about an hour while I waited.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had my van with the outer shoulder wear problem realigned about a year ago and also put new tires on at the same time. I haven't noticed uneven wear on the front tires since then, but I'm pissed at the MB dealer for making me pay for the alignment. I put on Nokian WRG3s to avoid the semiannual wheel/tire swaps, but I doubt I'm going to get more than 30k out of these tires looking at their current wear rate. It's been a hot year and maybe the compound is too soft for 90°F days. At least they're wearing evenly so far.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
342 Posts
Looks like it. I did do a fair bit of hot weather highway driving with a ~4000 lb 28 ft trailer with 500 lb tongue weight. Little cornering but lots of torque to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Rear Wheel Drive + load

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have my tires rotated every 5000 miles, for free at Big O tires, and I have 15,000 miles on my 2017 cargo van with the contis and they show no wear at all. Maybe my van was built after the initial alignment problem? Are the newer vans having the same issues with tread wear?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MB I am told from many experts, they are "simply the best" at denying engineering issues, so the only way I can now keep these (3) Metris vans is hopefully achieve 30k out of a 70k mile warrantied tire, Isn't that reasonable? 12k is UNREASONABLE. Then I will pay for the road hazard wear insurance on all 3 vans with the new Michelin Defender LTX/MX series that has a rating of 10 > FOR TIRE WEAR!
All 3 vans will have another alignment before mounting 12 tires on these 3 VANS, if they wear on the outer edge again after 10k
after rotations and maintaining correct pressure, then I pin Michelin against Mercedes Benz,, they won't reason with me as
a 30 year fleet mechanic so there is no other choice we have. Why won't they take responsibility? We carry no heavy weight in these cargo vans and its not a front wheel drive vehicle... MB will have to answer Michelin if these don't last , I will keep you all updated!
Class action suit is inevitable and I already have over 32 companies we deal with that experience this on the Metris and Sprinters and 20 tire experts in my corner. After paying $100K FOR 3 MATCHING BLACK LOADED CARGO VANS with the 5 spoke alloy rims, I am not accepting any of this bs! These auto manufacturers get away with too much today and refuse to take responsibility. I am keeping all alignment records, worn tires, lost usage time, blowout affidavit from the first month, as well as tire bills and premature brake wear as well as emails with the dealers! The dealers have to be very careful with MB.. Their hands are tied because Germany seldom admits an issue!
Imagine MB refuses to accept the statement that normal wear & tear is the reason for 12k and the van is not the reason! All f you should keep your alignment reports and records and take notice of the uneven brake wear..If they changed the alignment camber specs and said here we will pay for the tires then great! Im happy, but they say there is no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts