Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Metris Getaway
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product Font Screenshot Technology Engineering

I believe this part to be wire end barely-more-than-a-paper-clip, but my attempts to order it online lead consistently to an implausibly priced $290 "plug socket" This is what I'm finding everywhere and there is never a picture to make sense of it. What is it? Is it a typo in the EK1 document ?

As a general rule, never click on anything that says "click here" but click there please.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
Not the Droid you are looking for, but a handy forum diagram of ek1. I think important to know it is powered by the starter battery.

·
Registered
108 Posts
@grapedaddy I was confused about this as well. It is a misprint in the PDF and I too couldn't believe the price.

Luckily I found a post by @focus805 where he was focusing on all the electrical details and managed to order the part from ecstuning. Based on his post I figured out the part was 011-545-80-26 (Mercedes misprinted the part number in the EK1 bulletin. The second digit should be a "1" and not a "0"). My closest dealer had no problem ordering it.

While you are at it and ordering parts for making connections to the EK1, I'd like to inform you that you may not need to order the blue socket housing. I did as I hadn't looked at the module in the car. Mine already had the blue socket with some other wires attached. Maybe look before you order and you can save a few bucks.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
For reference

·
Registered
2021 Metris Getaway
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for solving that mystery! I bet that misprint in the EK1 technical bulletin trips a lot of people up.

·
Registered
995 Posts
View attachment 19744

I believe this part to be wire end barely-more-than-a-paper-clip, but my attempts to order it online lead consistently to an implausibly priced $290 "plug socket" This is what I'm finding everywhere and there is never a picture to make sense of it. What is it? Is it a typo in the EK1 document ?

As a general rule, never click on anything that says "click here" but click there please.
Here's what I used to install an ignition-on sense for my DC-DC Charger (I actually used the "engine running" slot to avoid potential drawdown on my Aux battery when I am parked with seat heaters on). There is a duplicate Freightliner part no.

Rectangle Font Paper product Brand Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Screenshot

·
Registered
108 Posts
I didn't use a special crimping tool. Just sized the length of the wire and used plain needle nose pliers. Then I soldered the connections and heat shrinked where could be.

@grapedaddy what are you connecting to your EK1?

Here are some photos of the EK1 contact springs. Wire colors could have been flipped but that's what I had handy for awg gauge wires. I have marked each end of wire with terminal number.

Terminal 15 & 61 (sorry only have one photo at the moment) (that blue socket is now sitting in my drawer feeling blue since my EK1 already had it installed for other wires from before). These are installed on the backside of the EK1 module so you have to loosen two screws in order to flip it.

Tire Train Automotive tire Wood Wheel

Terminal 30:

Wood Amber Flooring Floor Cable

Wood Flooring Wood stain Hardwood Tints and shades

Wood Cable Electrical supply Electronic component Electronics accessory

Terminal 30 is installed visibly on the front side of the EK1 module.
Hood Bumper Asphalt Composite material Automotive tire

·
Registered
2021 Metris Getaway
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm wiring this Digital Interior Mirror. I have to make two 12V switched connections to pin 7 on the blue socket and put them on a 5A fuse.

What is that white socket just above the orange fuse holder you have installed? Mine does not have that.

·
Registered
2021 Metris Getaway
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can only tell so much from google images and youtube videos, but I believe the unobtainable Metris F84 Digital Mirror is made by Gentex. If anyone can fact check that please do, because there is a difference between knowing and believing. I would have been happier retrofitting the OE part which has a more Metris appropriate stalk. I mounted to the OE mount point fine and sturdy using 2 adapters but lost easy access to the eyeglass holder. The local dealership wasn't interested in getting me the OE mirror for retrofit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow, $800 bucks for a mirror! That seems a little pricey to me. Do you need the camera functionality or do you not have a backup camera already?

Couldn't you find/use a mirror from another Mercedes that would have the appropriate stalk/attachment? I had briefly looking into it and thought maybe a C300 mirror might work.

Having one would be nice because then you could program the home link garage door opener as well.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I didn't use a special crimping tool. Just sized the length of the wire and used plain needle nose pliers. Then I soldered the connections and heat shrinked where could be.

@grapedaddy what are you connecting to your EK1?

Here are some photos of the EK1 contact springs. Wire colors could have been flipped but that's what I had handy for awg gauge wires. I have marked each end of wire with terminal number.

Terminal 15 & 61 (sorry only have one photo at the moment) (that blue socket is now sitting in my drawer feeling blue since my EK1 already had it installed for other wires from before). These are installed on the backside of the EK1 module so you have to loosen two screws in order to flip it.

Terminal 30:

View attachment 19750

View attachment 19751

Terminal 30 is installed visibly on the front side of the EK1 module.
View attachment 19753
I did not need the orange fuse holders to use the EK1. For the 3 connection points, the contact springs plug directly into the blue S9 socket housing from the back side as shown below and in the first pic on the OP's Q.

Hood Automotive design Grey Automotive tire Electronic instrument

·
Registered
2021 Metris Getaway
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Do you need the camera functionality or do you not have a backup camera already?
I needed to solve some viability issues out the back of my Getaway. I've been having to drive with my rear seat bed folded down, because I can't see over it very well. The Metris version of this mirror isn't really available yet. That would be option F84 in the Dealers Ordering Guide.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The orange fuse holder is just for terminal 30 "12 V / 25 A (300 W) Battery + direct" always power. You probably wouldn't want or need to use that for the mirror connection. I just thought I'd add it in here for other people researching the EK1 being that the subject title of this thread was well formed and many will probably "land" here. I'm using terminal 30 for a minimal draw park monitor camera system.

I'm not sure what the white socket next to the terminal 30 orange fuse holder is. It is something that was there and I didn't add it. I'll have to open the panel up and snap some new photos.

That mirror looks very nice and I kind of understand a need for it, if you don't have a backup camera. I get that it might be helpful while driving (if you can't see through the back window), however most will eventually get used to using the side mirrors only (while driving).

I would check that the mirror can be started in default digital mode if that is the preferred mode of using it, otherwise one would always need to turn it on and that would be more cumbersome than a standard backup camera initiating on reverse (or maybe the mirror can be wired to the reverse signal).

Also, the Toyota video said that if/when changing mirror mode while driving "two overlapping images may appear". It would be shame to purchase such an expensive mirror, only to find out it works mostly for helping with the backup situation.

Thanks for sharing the two videos. Very interesting and informative!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts