Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is anyone using for a console between the front seats?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nothing.

But I would really like something there for my Metris Cargo. You would think some aftermarket companies would offer a console that would match the rest of the interior, and would have a locking compartment for a laptop PC, (a combination lock preferably). I first looked for such a console shortly after ordering my Metris last October. I found nothing out there. But you would think since these vans have been sold as Vitos in Europe for some time, that some aftermarket console would be available?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can someone measure the distance between the front seats for me? THANKS

·
Registered
151 Posts
This works well. Not specific to the Metris but the colors match and with a little finagling it's very solid.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/TSI-Products-54215-Clutter-Catcher/dp/B000WHACHC/[/ame]

Basically glued a small block to the Metris floor in the front, added velcro to the front block surface and to the console inside front. Keeps everything from sliding. Prop the back of the console up on a cloth taped brick and it sits level and secure. If you get the front block position right it will actually leverage against the front storage bin when you raise it on the block in back.

Distance between seats is 14", but drops to 11 3/4" at seat belt retractors.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the measurements, that is one of the ones I was considering.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi...i purchased this http://www.americanvan.com/cab-file-desks-full-size-van-4317.html and it fits perfectly. The width is exactly as the distance between the two armrest. The height is like a 1/2 inch higher then the armrest, so its super comfortable.
.the depth is: almost touches the center cup holders. So i was able to just put it in between the seats without any screws or anything. Tomorrow i'll post a picture if you like.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I had something like that in my old market truck (Ford Econoline) except the lid flipped forward and had a clipboard making it great for writing on. Since a market truck is effectively ones office, it was really nice. I could do paperwork during the market day and didn't have to wait until we got to that nights motel- so all I had to do was crash into bed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi...i purchased this http://www.americanvan.com/cab-file-desks-full-size-van-4317.html and it fits perfectly. The width is exactly as the distance between the two armrest. The height is like a 1/2 inch higher then the armrest, so its super comfortable.
.the depth is: almost touches the center cup holders. So i was able to just put it in between the seats without any screws or anything. Tomorrow i'll post a picture if you like.
I'd love to see a picture with this in place in your van.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
After i spent hours and days to figure out what to do with that stupidly designed cupholder, i found this at home depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSeal-Tom-Kap-3-in-ABS-DWV-Inside-Fit-Cleanout-Adapter-97482/100141128

I unscrewed the inside "plug" part out and what is left i used for this cupholder. Adn its perfectly snug tight fit :)
As the inside (threaded) diameter wasnt big enough to hold a soda can, i had to use my grinder drillbit to remove the threads, making the inside diameter bigger. I know its not that beautiful if you look on the inside, but its black and its dark there anyways. Plus i have my soda can in there without tipping it over when i making turns.(with a little more time i will grinding the inside maybe more smoothly and will paint it in black)

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
After i spent hours and days to figure out what to do with that stupidly designed cupholder, i found this at home depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSeal-Tom-Kap-3-in-ABS-DWV-Inside-Fit-Cleanout-Adapter-97482/100141128

I unscrewed the inside "plug" part out and what is left i used for this cupholder. Adn its perfectly snug tight fit :)
As the inside (threaded) diameter wasnt big enough to hold a soda can, i had to use my grinder drillbit to remove the threads, making the inside diameter bigger. I know its not that beautiful if you look on the inside, but its black and its dark there anyways. Plus i have my soda can in there without tipping it over when i making turns.(with a little more time i will grinding the inside maybe more smoothly and will paint it in black)
That's awesome.. Thanks for sharing your creativity

·
Registered
75 Posts
here are some pics of that center console.
I'd like something like this but with a little more style and curvature to it. A combination lock center console that matches the color and style of the Metris interior. Something with a built in small removable trash container in the front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm still on the lookout for the best center console, but in the mean time, for a cup holder solution I purchased the Bottle Pro adapter. It's available on amazon, just search Bottle Pro.

Works awesome for both my Nalgene and my 1L Hydroflask. Super snug fit, yet easily removable if needed, and allows for bigger containers than the factory cup holder.

·
Registered
195 Posts
One of the reasons that my wife likes the Metris is that it does NOT have a center console. She loves to throw her large purse on the floor between the seats as she has done for years in our Astro vans. I had to remove the overly thick lid of the center console in our Suburban for her. We got rid of that to get the Metris. I don't care either way. Ours has the lower cubby on the front of the center area and that's enough for me.
For cupholders I bought replacement inserts for a Chevy Astro.
https://www.amazon.com/Holders-Replacement-Chevrolet-10374699-10374700/dp/B01N0T1LA7/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490146322&sr=8-2&keywords=astro+cup+holders
Made of vinyl or something like it. I trimmed the inside rim to fit cans better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeti Hopper 30 Soft-Sided Cooler fits perfectly between the seats and provides kind of a flat shelf on top. The soft cooler is wide at the bottom and narrows at the top so it fits between the armrests and seat belts with no issues. Last month they were on sale at $100 off but still ridiculously expensive. Our van is slowly being converted to be camper compatible and did not feel the need for an electric cooler like the Dometic. We find this is all we need for the week or less trips we normally take. We like the ability to travel with it between the seats yet it's easily transportable. The cooler has tie down rings built in so we have bungees going from it to the vans front cargo rings on either side. Very heavy duty and leak proof (so far).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I FOUND IT!!! Mercedes Metris Center Storage Console

I FOUND IT!!! Mercedes Metris Center Storage Console

mentereos-automotive.myshopify.com/products/motexion-lockable-centre-console-mercedes-benz-vito

I've been searching for this thing for weeks. I'm calling around tomorrow to see if I can import. Will post back when I find out what's going on.

I need this set up so badly to put change, phone, pens, water, gum, tacos, you name it.

It's beyond comprehension why this isn't available in the states.

PLUS IT LOCKS. I almost dropped my laptop when I found this.

If you're thinking about the Metris, let me just say I'm so frickin happy with this cargo van. It's like an Astro but even cooler. Plenty of space for a service guy (I do HVAC). Those city vans like the ford are just too small for me personally, but they do have their use and are a good choice for a lot of people. I just love this thing, so happy.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts