Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
The kit is Metra a 99-6512
and the Adapter is Xsvi-9005-nav
Tadbyd, nice job on the install! I ended up getting a pioneer unit (double DIN, has HD Radio, CarPlay etc) that included free installation from Best Buy... I was thinking "great"--certified installers and warrantied install... and am not super tech anyway LOL. Picked it up this afternoon and overall sound quality is great but have had a couple issues and would really appreciate your two cents:

1) The install kit (same Metra model as yours) is not flush with the surrounding surfaces on the dash. Probably sticking out about 1/8" on the left upper corner. Mentioned to the installer and he said it was the best he could do without shaving/cutting something down in the back. Did you have a hard time getting yours to fit?

2) Radio reception went significantly DOWNHILL over factory. They used the same wiring harness as you installed. Just doing some poking around online it sounds like there is a blue wire from the antenna that is often attached to blue, but if it's attached to "switched power" (red?) that can help significantly. How did you do it? Other issue could be that head unit is not grounded?

3) Factory USB no longer appears to work.

I plan to take it back in to see if they can correct the issues but the tech who did the install didn't want to help me at pickup at all... so maybe to a different location... so any info would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
93 Posts
1) The headunit Tadbyd is using requires much less space inside the dash than a standard double DIN receiver. Joying lists the depth at 109 -129mm. I installed a Kenwood in mine with a listed depth of 162 mm (6 7/16") and it was a little snug behind the receiver but I was able to get it to fit flush. What does your owners manual list the depth of your receiver at?

2) Radio reception on mine is fine but my Kenwood receiver has a more sensitive receiver than the current model Pioneers i looked at. In fact some of the Pioneer models I looked at had what seemed like really low tuner sensitivity numbers. You can double check that the blue wire on the Metra harness is connected to the blue wire going to your receiver. If it is connected you can try cutting and reconnecting the blue wire on the Metra harness to an ignition source to see if there is an improvement. Headunits only provides 300mA which seems to work for me but I have no idea how much power the antenna amplifier requires for proper operation.

3) Most likely the installer didn't bother connecting the factory USB lead to your receiver. Your Pioneer receiver has what looks like a PC pin header type connection on the back. The cable from your factory USB connection has a round 4 pin green connector. (See attached image). You can try using an adapter like this (shorter if you can find it) to join the Pioneer USB cable to your factory USB cable. My approach was more brute force. The USB cable coming from the receiver had a thick cover on the connector so I carefully carved it to match the female end of the stock connector that plugs into the dash trim piece. I don't have a picture the cable I carved but I attached a picture of the connector showing the shape I carved it to.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
The joying has been a "neat" fix for many of the metris' missing features. The camera integration is great, the ability to add several different apps is a definite plus, and it sounds pretty amazing through my Audison amps with the High sound quality Deezer app.

The only headache I endured was with the can bus adapter from Metra. It required a firmware update before the radio would power on. Then, the radio would shut off when the drivers door opened! That eventually bothered me enough that I kept the adapter in place for full integration (reverse camera trigger, etc...), but I tapped off the 12 volt below in the center for ignition control (this way the head unit does not shut off when the door opens).

The Metris is super easy to work on, but this has prompted me to go waaaaaay overboard with the stereo upgrades;)
Very cool! Love the idea of a tablet. But does the joying stick out from the dash? looks like there is quite a gab between the original dash and the rear of the tablet. Was hoping to find something that looks more integrated.
So all steering wheel features and the factory cam works fine with it? Does it show the same notification that you have on the dashboard?
I am wondering how the phone mirroring would work with an I phone. To bad there is only an Android version and not a apple play one out yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What are the specs on the tweeters? And is it possible to put two 3.5 speakers in that area? Also, does the van come with a factory amplifier? Thanks and sorry. Just trying to figure out this anomaly of a van.

·
Registered
2018, MB Metris Passenger Van, 8 seats
10 Posts
Front Dash Speakers Consist of a single dual coil 3.5" (or so) in the center and a pair of snap in tweeters.
Question for you, how does that work with the 3 speaker in the middle on top of the dashboard ? What`s the middle speaker connected to ? The tweeters left & right are obviously connected to the front door speakers. Most radios have 4 speaker connections, two front, two rear. Is it tied into that as well ?

Planning to upgrade my factory radio shortly and I`m currently shopping for speakers, just need to know where the 5th speaker comes from.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was inspired and encouraged by your post. I put in a HU, some Scanspeak drivers, focal sub, running off a Kicker class AB w D sub channel. Its a good upgrade BUT my battery has been draining terribly. The stereo guys who I know and trust dont think its them but I'm not so sure. Did you tie into the battery itself or off the power distribution under the hood? Really desperate for insight.
Thanks

21 - 30 of 30 Posts