Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front Dash Speakers Consist of a single dual coil 3.5" (or so) in the center and a pair of snap in tweeters.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The Door speakers are 6.5" and can be replaced with spacers or you can use the factory speaker basket (with some light modifications ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post more pics as soon as I recover them.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice upgrade. So is the finished result, and apologies for being a little impatient as you said you were going to recover your pictures, totally hidden when you replace the door and dash panels ? Also, where's the sub ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here is the sub enclosure as well as my custom shelving. THis is an old Diamond audio 10" D6 that was sitting on my shelf for the past 8 years. It is in a Transmission line (t-line) enclosure. It is dented up a bit from being shipped to me poorly, but it sounds great!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Head Unit is the 10.1 Joying with an integrated 1080p dashcam. So far it has been a wonderful Android unit. I have a pair of ppi phantom series amps under the drivers seat (I love these new super small amplifiers!).

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, they are hidden. The only thing visible are the tweeters. They are flushed into the original panel, but they were too deep to fit into the original tweeter locations.

I replaced the rear as well with the two way 6.5 ppi component set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Front Dash Speakers Consist of a single dual coil 3.5" (or so) in the center and a pair of snap in tweeters.
Thanks a lot for these post with excellent pictures. After replacing the woofer in the middle I was trying to locate the tweeters after hearing they were somewhere - now I know where they are at!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Head Unit is the 10.1 Joying with an integrated 1080p dashcam. So far it has been a wonderful Android unit. I have a pair of ppi phantom series amps under the drivers seat (I love these new super small amplifiers!).
Any speed bumps during the installation?
I would like to install a Kenwood 2DIN deck into my 2016

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a couple of these same 10" head units from Joying. The sound quality is not where it should be and can be improved with custom roms depending on the exact model. The radio quality is terrible and there is little that can be done to correct it. These head units shine with the large screen functionality for GPS etc and it sure is nice to be able to run some android apps and odbII apps. Longevity is not great, but they aren't that expansive. Bluetooth sound depending on which internals the unit came with can be poor.

Joying has some new units that have a digital amp and this reduces the internal heat substantially, but buyers should be aware that the digital amp version does NOT support and external amp.

Integration with these units and steering controls can be super easy and not require the typical extra devices, but that's not always the case. If the controls are canbus then the universal units cannot be used. I'm not sure about the Metris.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The joying has been a "neat" fix for many of the metris' missing features. The camera integration is great, the ability to add several different apps is a definite plus, and it sounds pretty amazing through my Audison amps with the High sound quality Deezer app.

The only headache I endured was with the can bus adapter from Metra. It required a firmware update before the radio would power on. Then, the radio would shut off when the drivers door opened! That eventually bothered me enough that I kept the adapter in place for full integration (reverse camera trigger, etc...), but I tapped off the 12 volt below in the center for ignition control (this way the head unit does not shut off when the door opens).

The Metris is super easy to work on, but this has prompted me to go waaaaaay overboard with the stereo upgrades;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rear speaker add-on

Installed the rear three way components yesterday. Sounds much better in the new location!

The 6.5" are still in the factory locations, but the mid and tweeters really open up the rear fill.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
The radio quality is terrible and there is little that can be done to correct it.
I recently installed a Kenwood ddx9903s. One of the primary reasons for choosing this model was that it had one of the most sensitive FM tuners of the Carplay\Auto compatible receivers I was looking at.

Unfortunately radio reception on the Kenwood wasn't much of an upgrade over the stock radio. At some point I may install an FM/GPS shark fin antenna.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Radio reception in new cars is generally bad. There are several reasons for this, and some of them are not related to the car. The amount of airwave traffic has gone up exponentially over the past 25 years or so.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I recently installed a Kenwood ddx9903s. One of the primary reasons for choosing this model was that it had one of the most sensitive FM tuners of the Carplay\Auto compatible receivers I was looking at.

Unfortunately radio reception on the Kenwood wasn't much of an upgrade over the stock radio. At some point I may install an FM/GPS shark fin antenna.
My comment was about these Joying units specifically. It has nothing to do with the antenna or the car. They implemented the radio poorly from a hardware and software perspective and its not something that would perform in even the best environment.

There appears to be an antenna booster on the Metris based on parts catalog. If you did not hook up the power from your head unit to the wiring harness for antenna power that could very well be your issue. I've made this mistake in the past when my adapter harness didn't have the connection exposed. I had to locate the correct wire to mate up the new head unit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts