Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from AAA office with new licence plate #XXX###.

Recently I've seen quite a few Metris around with regular minivan plates so I decided to go to AAA office and ask about it. They asked questions about the van and told me to bring it back with the title (I didn't drive the Metris at that time) to verify. Today, I brought the title and drove my Metris to them, they came out to look at the van (they were thinking of Sprinter van) and agree it's just a minivan and gave me the new plate on the spot. So I guess the dealer I bought it from a little more than two years ago screwed me up when they put it under commercial use and I already paid three times at commercial fees.

So for anyone in CA with commercial plate you can go to DMV or AAA offices to request a switch back to regular minivan fee. Now it's time to search how to get reimbursement my three years paid.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting. I initially wanted a black plate but you can't get a black plate on a commercial vehicle - and mine IS a commercial vehicle (and registered as such)...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bought mine new the beginning of the year and got regular plates. The insurance company on the other hand still treat is as a commercial van.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bring back my old thread with some new infos:

- It's almost a year and I got a renewal letter still with old license plate number: can't believe DMV in CA is that slow to update their database.
- Because of that mismatch I couldn't renew online and needed to go to AAA office to renew to find out I can't use credit card.
- I asked the AAA office to check the new fee: from $410 -------> $405.

If I know it saved me that huge $5 I wouldn't spend time to do it from the beginning.

Just wonder how much do you members here pay for your renewal license plate in SoCal?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Reg fee

Hi. Bought new cargo van in July 2017. One year later in July 2018 I paid $499. Plates are normal, but reg says commercial. Yikes.
Fees in California jumped last year, hoping prop 6 will pass and reg fees and gas taxes will go back down.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't remember exactly what mine was in April, but $385 rings a bell. Not sure what the registration papers say, but the plates are regular car plates.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi. Bought new cargo van in July 2017. One year later in July 2018 I paid $499. Plates are normal, but reg says commercial. Yikes.
Fees in California jumped last year, hoping prop 6 will pass and reg fees and gas taxes will go back down.
If Prop 6 passes your 4 inch ground clearance Metris won't have any passable roads in a few years. Seems reasonable that people who use the roads should pay for them. Now we gotta get the electrics . . .

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can use the CA DMV website fee calculator. It gives options for all types of vehicles. But the difference for these vans may not be much.

I plan on arguing for a standard automobile fee based on size, weight and intended use.

Hopefully this will fly!

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts
I guess we don't have it so bad in Ontario (Canadian Dollars = 76 cents today, so $91.20US for commercial plates)

Licence plate sticker and plate fees
Service 2017 2018
Southern Ontario $120 $120
Northern Ontario $60 $60
Licence plate sticker: light commercial business use $120 $120
Licence plates: motor vehicle, motorcycle or dealer $25 $27
Replace a lost, stolen or damaged plate (includes an updated vehicle permit) $57 $59
Personalized licence plates: personal, or business Prices vary Prices vary
Heavy commercial: minimum (3,001 to 3,500 kg) $188.75 $265.25
Heavy commercial: maximum (63,001 to 63,500 kg) $4,693 $4,693
Farm vehicle: minimum (3,001 to 3,500 kg) $142.75 $157
Farm vehicle: maximum (63,001 to 63,500 kg) $1,132.25 $1,245.50
Bus: minimum (1 to 2,500 kg) $122.50 $134.75
Bus: maximum (39,001 to 40,000 kg) $2,055.25 $2,260.75
Service, dealer, manufacturer plates: motor vehicle $172 $175
Service, dealer, manufacturer plates: motorcycle $96 $98
Vehicle permit fees
Service 2017 2018
Vehicle permit: motor vehicle, motorcycle or dealer $32 $32