Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Metris threw this code about an hour ago.. Unfortunately my wife has the vehicle and she's 500 miles away. Can anyone tell me if this requires immediate attention or do you think she can drive it home safely?

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did happen right after an engine start. She tells me the van is running just perfectly, but she isn't really tuned into the way a vehicle runs. I often point out things that she has no clue is happening. She, though, has decided to stay over a few days and get it into a MB dealership ASAP to be checked out.
thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
The check engine light will likely be off tomorrow. i'm not suggesting you try and convince your wife to drive home, but after two attempts to fix mine, I drove cross country, and it went 5000 miles before stalling twice on the return leg before getting back to California. Each time within 30 seconds of starting it after it was hot (both times at a rest stop after bathroom break)

Merc attempted another fix, and 3000mi later returning from Zion National Park and in the middle of nevada, it again stalled 30 seconds after starting it following a bathroom break.

If your wife takes it to merc, they will guess at the part to replace, need a few days to get it in and installed. They will guess at fuel pump, fuel pump controller, fuel level sensor!, and on my fourth trip back, they replaced the engine controller. It's gone 12 months and 14,000 mi since then, but, coincidentally I,m on my way right now to zion, so it may well stall again on my way home.

I love the way this van drives, but between this recurring problem, the crankcase ventilation valve (see another tgread), and failed power steering, it's my last german car

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a bit of research as to possible causes of this code and reading of the experiences here we've hit on this plan of action. Firstly, the van was running perfectly, only the CEL indicated any problem. This morning my brother in law cleared the code. My wife has been driving around, including a 2 our round trip to take my daughter to the airport in Pittsburgh, as she has to be at work Monday here in NC. So far the van is still running fine and the CEL has not come back on. If the CEL comes on today or Sunday, she'll take it to a MB dealership in PA Monday. If the CEL does not come back on, she'll drive home Monday instead of Sunday. At least if there are problems on the way home the MB dealerships close to her route will be open. Assuming she gets home without incident, IF... the CEL does not reappear in the future, I'll put to down to a glitch. If the CEL: and the same code shows again, I'll take it to my local dealership.
I notice that the code seems to pop up after starting the engine. Starting puts quite a load on the battery and I wonder if an older battery (my van is a 2016 with the original battery) might be dropping voltage under load enough to facilitate a glitch somewhere that would flash the code?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Today, June 4th, I started the van hot, after about a 15 minute off interval. It stalled and threw a CEL. I don't have a code reader so don't know what it is. I'm already scheduled to bring it in for serivce next Tuesday, so I'll bring it up to them then. I didn't ask for a loaner, but my service advisor offered me one (first time ever). Gonna be a big service bill I know. I think the offer of a loaner is a way of trying to soften the blow. Plugs, probably brake pads, maybe a battery, wipers, oil change, whatever else is called for in the schedule. Two recalls to address also. I do have the extended warranty. Getting a loaner saves my wife from having to drive over with me and bring me home. The dealership is about a one hour drive away. I'll report back what the code is when I find out and what the dealership does.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
If your dealer suggests a battery, decline it I think.

I completed my 120k B service a few weeks ago; It included a standard B, coolant and brake fluid were flushed, the rear diff was also serviced, front pads and rotors, rear pads, an indicated-by-tire-wear four wheel alignment (not to bad to indicate a replacement of the affected tires, though and they threw in a rotation- and the first one in 60k miles).

In addition my rear drivers shock was shot- to both my and my service advisors shock, Mercedes covered replacing both rear shocks it under the ELW. A battery, something I thought would be indicated at 4.5 years and nearly 120k miles, was not suggested. I inquired, and was told it tested fine, and they were not expecting it until 6-7 years or 150k, although they test it. The bill for all that, with a loaner, came to $1956, which was roughly what I had budgeted for the 120k B, without knowing I needed a rear diff service.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm at the 4-year anniversary of the purchase of my 2016, but with less than 45K miles. I'd rather replace a battery early than have one die on the street. I feel my dealership is pretty trustworthy, especially my service advisor who I've dealt with at each visit. I always call him personally to schedule service instead of going through the service dept. As for the code the van threw yesterday it was gone this AM. I'll still mention it to my advisor and get his opinion on whether it's just an occasional glitch. There's been absolutely no issues while driving, just the two times it stalled immediately after a hot restart. After new tires (Hankooks) and a dealer alignment I was still having outside front tire wear. I used a local shop where the excellent technician redid it to account for the tire wear. I no longer have the wear problem AFAICT. It did alter the on center feel a tiny bit, my wife can't even notice the difference. I’ve gotten about 6K miles more on this set of Hankooks compared to the original tires and they still have life left in them. To me that verifies that the factory specs are the culprit in the front tire wear problem. Having said that, the life span is still not all that great although they ride great, are quiet and have good wet and dry grip. The stock Hankooks are a poor choice for this heavy vehicle.

“The Ventus S1 noble2 (H452) is Hankook's Ultra High-Performance All-Season tire developed for the drivers of sports cars, sporty coupes and performance sedans “

I’ll replace with Michelin Defenders at the appropriate time. We still love this van and I’m thinking about ordering a 2021 (still keeping the 2016 as the Astros are getting a bit long in the tooth) so I can option it the way I want, e.g., no power doors.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
What determines the suitability of a tire for weight is the weight code- example P225/55R-17 101H (which iirc is what the Hankooks are) is 225mm width, 55 aspect ratio (profile), Radial, 17”, load index 101 (1819lbs per tire), H speed rating (130mph). That should be fine for the van. Its not the weight rating, it’s the tires crappiness. I’m on 45k miles for the Defenders and they’ve been okd for another 15k by my dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts