Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beside the losing time like crazy I've just noticed the time is already adjusted back to the normal time. I'm not sure I adjusted the time back in March or not but if I did the system is still using OLD DST?

Annoying clock is running like a turtle and now this?>:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine too. I figure if I wait til next Sunday, it will finally be correct. Well, 2 min slow, but at least the correct hour.

·
Registered
483 Posts
same here, girlfriend noticed while driving.

Reactions: river

·
Registered
939 Posts
I didn't think it was the DST change. Good to know, now if they could only update it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Beside the losing time like crazy I...
Wow, I noticed today that it's 30 minutes behind. It's been a month since I last drove it. That's crazy. How can anyone screw up a clock these days?

And, why doesn't it grab the time from the GPS system when I have the Becker NAV thing installed?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The answer, I would guess, is that the system is set to automatically receive the European standard for GMT (broadcast from Greenwhich England where the worlds basic standard for time has been kept forever), like every other car sold practically anywhere but the NAFTA region, where we use a seperate standard entirely broadcast from Colorado. Since the Metris was to be sold here in tiny numbers they probably didn't bother to design hardware for our unique standard.

Since the clock is designed to sync, it doesn't have to be very accurate. To lose 30 minutes a month a clock has to have 99.9% accurate. In fact the highest standard for a mechanical time keeper is known as "Chronometer", which requires a it to be accurate to a range of -4 to +6 seconds per day, meaning the finest watches sold (think Rolex, Omega, Poljot, or Breitling) can lose up to 2 minutes or gain up to three in a month, and be considered for the finest rating that can be bestowed upon a watch.

I don't like it either, but I never use the clock anyway except to set it 5 minutes fast every so often. I look at my Rolex/Poljot/Omega when I actually need to use the time. Or my phone for that matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts