Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a dummy and didn't correctly get the gas cap closed. It didn't feel quite right, I was in a hurry, and on a quick check "it seemed OK"

Two hours later, the check engine light came on, and at the next fuel stop, yep, the cap wasn't on right. I filled up expecting the light to eventually extinguish as a friend who made this simple mistake had the check engine light auto clear after fixing the issue (Toyota Avalon).

Well, I guess it does not auto-clear on Mercedes. I bought a scanner (Foxwell NT301) and it show P0455 Evaporative system leak. No surprise. When I attempt to use the NT301 to erase the code, its screen shows a failed message.

Is my scanner faulty, or does Mercedes lock down things so that only they can clear DTCs? Am I going to have to pay a multi hundred dollar fee to the dealer for not screwing the cap on tightly one time?

Does anyone know of a device that is 100% absolutely known to clear codes on a 2016 Metris and costs less than $200?

Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Loose gas caps that bring up CEL usually clear up after several start/stop cycles.

·
Registered
939 Posts
It's not locked down and our dealership wouldn't charge you (please admit you're a goober to them, it makes our free work tolerable. I hate having to clear these CELs for free)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not locked down and our dealership wouldn't charge you (please admit you're a goober to them, it makes our free work tolerable. I hate having to clear these CELs for free)
Thanks! Yes, I am a goober. And, I'm not too embarrassed to admit it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts