Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the multimedia systems offered on aliexpress ? They indicate that they will fit the Sprinter and the W639 Viano through 2012 and I think they both came with the Audio 15 unit that is in the W447 Metris. I am looking to replace the Audio 15 unit because I need to add a backup camera, GPS a CD player and hopefully get better FM radio reception.

I was thinking of going with an aftermarket pioneer system but I like the ones like the one pictured.

It looks like the unit comes with all the instillation hardware and to install a pioneer touch screen receiver and a backup camera I have been quoted $500-$1,000 plus the cost of the components by local car audio businesses.

My MB dealership would not tell me what the cost of the MB camera and converter would be nor would the service department quote me an install price so it looks like I am going aftermarket.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ended up with mid-city engineering camera kit for backup, and a 99.00 TomTom for gps. I looked at the same radio, there are some on eBay that say it will communicate with CAN bus. but if your not happy they will not return it either. Let us know what you decide

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have installed the unit and all the functions work perfectly. The wiring was all plug and play and it came with a dedicated CAN BUS module.

·
Registered
939 Posts
WinCE? Maybe I can put the software on my Map Pilot. But seriously, if anyone knows WinCE programming, let me know. I have gotten a clock to run on map pilot, but that's it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts
For what its worth I will probably risk it and try something like this:

https://www.seicane.com/inch-androi...video-3g-wifi-capacitive-touch-screen-s085993

I have heard that the Seicane customer support is bad. I was looking at a very similar unit from them for my Cayenne and just can't pulled the trigger yet. Much more trouble to install in a Cayenne with Bose. I like the screen size of this unit. I have generic 10" units from Joying, but I have had some issues with the video going bad on them after while. I love the screen size, but don't totally love the glued-on-tablet look that the dash takes on with the install.

+1 for the OP's unit is that I really also do like physical buttons. It's very hard to find a large screen android unit with physical buttons. I actually haven't seen any. With steering wheel controls it helps, but I'm just too old and have been programmed to reach for volume knobs on the dash.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the unit because it has big buttons and knobs so it's easy to use without looking (I don't have controls on my wheel). Customer support is non-existent, it did not even come with a basic wiring diagram. I will post some pix once I have a chance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts