Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Check Engine Light Diagnoses

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  WhiteMBZ 
#1 ·
Hi all, the check engine light came on in my 2016 Metris passenger van. It doesn’t appear to be the gas cap. The van is under extended warranty but I live quite a ways from a dealer that works on vans. There is a regular MB dealership that doesn’t work on vans fairly close. If they won’t do a scan for me to diagnose, does a typical OBDII read the basic codes for a check engine light or do I need to find someone that has a more sophisticated unit? Thank you for the help…

#2 ·
Innova 5610 works for me. Cheaper? HF Zurich ZR13 maybe? The HF units are pretty clearly the same as the Innova. Cheapest? As I recall, one of the resident MB mechanics suggested something like the BlueDriver that uses your phone for a screen

Reactions: markkeefe
#5 ·
My experience with my 2020 Metris van is you need a more sophisticated scan tool one that is for use with M-B vehicles.

For trying to understand better what might be the problem with my van I used an Auto X-Ray scan tool which is a pretty sophisticated scan tool but it was clear it was unable to read all controller error codes.

The van is under warranty and I didn't feel the need to buy a M-B specific scan tool at this time. But at some point getting one is on my list of things to do.

#7 ·
Serious about an OBD 2 and considering the ICarsoft MB V3. I intend to use the reader on our 2016 Metris and 2015 E350 wagon. I've also looked at the Zurich ZR13. What has prompted my search is the "STEERING MALFUNCTION"(another Metris thread - no power steering) warning and the overall complexities of these newer vehicles as opposed to our 30+year old. I'm able to do my own work but defer to experienced mechanics for complex work requiring specialty tools..

As others have said it's great to at least understand the nature of the vehicle(s) complaint, we're also 350 miles from a service shop. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. I believe I've read all comments concerning OBD 2 on this Forum but have not made a decision. I thank you, in advance, for your thoughts and experience...

Bob

#8 ·
Serious about an OBD 2 and considering the ICarsoft MB V3. I intend to use the reader on our 2016 Metris and 2015 E350 wagon. I've also looked at the Zurich ZR13. What has prompted my search is the "STEERING MALFUNCTION"(another Metris thread - no power steering) warning and the overall complexities of these newer vehicles as opposed to our 30+year old. I'm able to do my own work but defer to experienced mechanics for complex work requiring specialty tools..

As others have said it's great to at least understand the nature of the vehicle(s) complaint, we're also 350 miles from a service shop. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. I believe I've read all comments concerning OBD 2 on this Forum but have not made a decision. I thank you, in advance, for your thoughts and experience...

Bob
Did a search for Mercedes Benz OBD2 scan tools and this link -- amount about half a zillion others -- showed up.

No experience with the Innova tool but I saved the link to read all about the tool later.

In my opinion and for me it is cheap enough (?!) to buy and give it a try.

However, I might just give the local M-B dealer where I have my Metris serviced a visit and see if the techs can make a recommendation.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the comments above and @Rockster, @focus805 for the Innova post(s). I spent an afternoon looking at scanners and decided on the iCarsoft MB V3.0, the other day, and should be here 8/19 or 8/22. I did call and talked briefly to a MB Service Manager (Tech) who was only familiar with higher end shop diagnostic tools. Watched several YouTube videos and reached a saturation point while looking...Lots of information to digest.

I've never used a diagnostic tool before so this will be an education and at least I'll be able to have hands-on experience and then be more critical. Guess I can return the product and try another. Reviewed Innova 5160RS @ $330. today and thought it might be a step up as I did try to keep the purchase under $200. A mistake? Maybe...but there may be a limit to what I/we can do ourselves given the sophisticated electronics and tools needed to work on newer vehicles. I'm more familiar with 30-year-old cars but not opposed to learning new tricks and a new language.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.