Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Metris Cargo van purchase is a near-term goal for me. Doing my research and compiling a wish list. The images I have seen of the interior (and running through the "build" feature on the web site) show some storage bins on the lower dash, between the footwells. But has anybody found an aftermarket console for between the front seats? Or has anybody built their own? I don't know if the stock bins would hold enough, or more specifically, if they would fit big items like my bulky clipboard, manuals, etc.

I also want to ask about the pros and cons of the dual rear doors vs the single lift-up door, but that's another thread.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,295 Posts
You can search this forum easier by doing google searches like "center console site:metrisforum.com" .

I'd recommend building one that fits the stuff you want to store in it and make it easily removable. Like use gravity and maybe some clips. The reason is that you are probably going to find that having a swivel on your seat is a life changer.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hi again: I ordered the lower center console tray and rear heating/cooling ducts. The lower tray has a 12v plug and holds quite a bit, close to a cubic foot, but won't handle a clipboard.

On the Metris, the clipboard goes into the dashboard slots in front of the driver or above the radio.

I had to make a compromise in this regard. I really wanted the lower console as I like to keep stuff like chargers, a small inverter, etc. handy. But combined with the rear heating/cooling ducts, the lower tray adds a bit of -- shall we say "complexity" to the body movements needed to access the rear from the driver's seat or the driver's seat from the rear as there is little foot space. It's kind of a cross between yoga and origami to get into the seat now from the rear. I am contemplating building a small box (2" high max) over the heating/cooling duct to protect it from foot traffic (it slightly flexes when I put my weight on it) and to provide an easier step into the seat from the rear. This is an issue for me because my garage requires passenger side exiting when I back in.

Reactions: river

·
Registered
133 Posts
For a temporary fix I found these black boxes on Amazon that fit perfectly between the seats on both levels and match the interior. When you don't need them they fold up.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0S67RQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
81 Posts
A Metris Cargo van purchase is a near-term goal for me. Doing my research and compiling a wish list. The images I have seen of the interior (and running through the "build" feature on the web site) show some storage bins on the lower dash, between the footwells. But has anybody found an aftermarket console for between the front seats? Or has anybody built their own? I don't know if the stock bins would hold enough, or more specifically, if they would fit big items like my bulky clipboard, manuals, etc.

I also want to ask about the pros and cons of the dual rear doors vs the single lift-up door, but that's another thread.
I fabricated a center console specifically for our dog to sleep on and to store dog food and stuff. She is a very old Bichon and it works well with a removable pad on top. The dimensions are 7.75" high, 15" wide and 24" deep. 7.75 " is the maximum height that will allow the our seats to swivel over top (with the pad removed). The box has an angle cut into the front to clear the forward slope. The box is secured with #12 sheet metal screws to the seat bases on either side. There is quite a bit of storage in two compartments. Our Yeti cooler will also fits on the top secured with tie downs.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nice work mikit! That is almost exactly what I've been contemplating, although I'll probably spray it with wrinkle finish rather than clear stain or varnish. Two Q's: Why did you set the lid to open forward? And, why did you extend the box beyond the rear seats into the cargo area?

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice work mikit! That is almost exactly what I've been contemplating, although I'll probably spray it with wrinkle finish rather than clear stain or varnish. Two Q's: Why did you set the lid to open forward? And, why did you extend the box beyond the rear seats into the cargo area?

Thanks
I am fortunate to have a source of quality finished plywood from a local cabinet shops scrap pile. This box was fabricated with 1/2 " 9 ply maple. The previous photos, because of a wide angle lens, gives the impression the box extends far into the cargo area. It actually only extends about 3 inches beyond the top of the seat base and it does not extend beyond the seat backs in their normal driving position. I had several reasons for the 24"depth one of which gives room for the install of tie down hardware that will secure my soft Yeti cooler that fits exactly on top. I have other reasons related to overall design but a shorter depth of around 20" would easily work.
Because of the slope of the transmission tunnel the capacity of the box at the forward hinge end is only a few inches deep. The greater depth is at the catch end. For me it is more functional lifting the door to expose the bulk of the contents. Also the open door rests on the vehicle cup holders so no support was needed to hold the door open.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
I am fortunate to have a source of quality finished plywood from a local cabinet shops scrap pile. This box was fabricated with 1/2 " 9 ply maple. The previous photos, because of a wide angle lens, gives the impression the box extends far into the cargo area. It actually only extends about 3 inches beyond the top of the seat base and it does not extend beyond the seat backs in their normal driving position. I had several reasons for the 24"depth one of which gives room for the install of tie down hardware that will secure my soft Yeti cooler that fits exactly on top. I have other reasons related to overall design but a shorter depth of around 20" would easily work.
Because of the slope of the transmission tunnel the capacity of the box at the forward hinge end is only a few inches deep. The greater depth is at the catch end. For me it is more functional lifting the door to expose the bulk of the contents. Also the open door rests on the vehicle cup holders so no support was needed to hold the door open.
I understand, thanks for the clarification. It looks like you have the rear heating/cooling duct too?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can search this forum easier by doing google searches like "center console site:metrisforum.com" .

I'd recommend building one that fits the stuff you want to store in it and make it easily removable. Like use gravity and maybe some clips. The reason is that you are probably going to find that having a swivel on your seat is a life changer.
Is the swivel seat standard?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Travois USA for seat swivels.
Search for swinging vs. hatch doors. That has been argued ad nauseum.
There may be no right answer. It's preference, but all the reasons are here.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am building my own currently, to house my leisure battery. With plans to connect it to the main battery which is under the drivers seat. Next task is to carpet the outside before I fix it in.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
@Roger Jones - in the US the main battery is under the passenger seat while the auxiliary battery (if equipped) is under the driver’s seat. I see your avatar flag is (UK, New Zealand, Australia?) so your system may be different, but be sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Roger Jones - in the US the main battery is under the passenger seat while the auxiliary battery (if equipped) is under the driver’s seat. I see your avatar flag is (UK, New Zealand, Australia?) so your system may be different, but be sure.
Thanks for the response. Good to see the forum is active. I much prefer a forum for this than Facebook.
Yes well spotted I am based in the UK, hence the difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts