Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

center console

14K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  kingsqueenslg 
#1 ·
Has anyone retrofitted an after market center console for the passenger van Metris? I could sure use more storage up front. I assume there is OEM product available?

#2 ·
There are a couple of threads about this. Recommendation is to use the search functionality in the upper lefthand part of the page. I remember specifically a thread about the Town and Country console being used, with pics. Good luck! And post pictures once have the van setup.

#5 ·
I saw where others used the "TSI Products 54215 Clutter Catcher Grey OEM Look Minivan Console" from Amazon and that is what I used in my 2019 Metris Cargo Van. I just installed it today and I think it looks pretty good and seems totally functional for what I need (photos attached, pardon the dog hair).

To keep it from sliding around I cut a 2x4 and attached that to the bar that runs under/behind the seats. I then screwed the console itself to the 2x4 through the rear cupholder (you can see a tiny bit of the 2x4 in the last photo (taken from the cargo area). There is a compartment on the back of the unit (under the rear cupholders) that is pretty well blocked by this arrangement but I can live with that.

Seems really solid so far but I might add something to secure the front as well if I feel it needs it (I doubt it will need it though).. If I do take it apart, I'll probably replace the 2x4 with a 2x2 and paint the wood black. This would allow the Console to slide back about 1/2" and hide the wood better - plus that would give a little more room to the front cupholders and change holder.

Really though, I am not worried about those front cupholders as will be pretty much permanently claimed the "Bapdas 150W Car Cup Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Converter with 1 AC Outlet and 4 USB Ports for Tablets, Laptops and Smartphones-Black" and the "Topgo Car Cup Holder Phone Mount Adjustable Gooseneck Automobile Cup-Holder-Phone-Car-Mount."

All items were bought from Amazon - I copied and pasted the full names in case the links don't work for you.

Cost at time of purchase (November 2020):
Console - Normally $43 but Amazon had some Used/Like New and so I got it for $32
Car Cup Inverter/Charger - $20
Phone Holder - $13

So not bad for $65 and an hour or so of my time!!! Heck, most of that time was figuring out a good way to mount the console and so you can probably do it in 15 minutes or so.

Attachments

#19 ·
I saw where others used the "TSI Products 54215 Clutter Catcher Grey OEM Look Minivan Console" from Amazon and that is what I used in my 2019 Metris Cargo Van. I just installed it today and I think it looks pretty good and seems totally functional for what I need (photos attached, pardon the dog hair). To keep it from sliding around I cut a 2x4 and attached that to the bar that runs under/behind the seats. I then screwed the console itself to the 2x4 through the rear cupholder (you can see a tiny bit of the 2x4 in the last photo (taken from the cargo area). There is a compartment on the back of the unit (under the rear cupholders) that is pretty well blocked by this arrangement but I can live with that. Seems really solid so far but I might add something to secure the front as well if I feel it needs it (I doubt it will need it though).. If I do take it apart, I'll probably replace the 2x4 with a 2x2 and paint the wood black. This would allow the Console to slide back about 1/2" and hide the wood better - plus that would give a little more room to the front cupholders and change holder. Really though, I am not worried about those front cupholders as will be pretty much permanently claimed the "Bapdas 150W Car Cup Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Converter with 1 AC Outlet and 4 USB Ports for Tablets, Laptops and Smartphones-Black" and the "Topgo Car Cup Holder Phone Mount Adjustable Gooseneck Automobile Cup-Holder-Phone-Car-Mount." All items were bought from Amazon - I copied and pasted the full names in case the links don't work for you. Cost at time of purchase (November 2020): Console - Normally $43 but Amazon had some Used/Like New and so I got it for $32 Car Cup Inverter/Charger - $20 Phone Holder - $13 So not bad for $65 and an hour or so of my time!!! Heck, most of that time was figuring out a good way to mount the console and so you can probably do it in 15 minutes or so.
Make me one and I will pay

#6 ·
While I have no argument that this arrangement is very functional, and I think your installation works great, I object to the Amazon listings “oem look” because I think the only thing that would look OEM in is a Pontiac Trans Sport. Actually I object conceptually to buying anything at all on Amazon, but that is possibly just proof I am an old fashioned curmudgeon.

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah, I wouldn't characterize this as "OEM look" for the Metris either but let's not be too harsh on it. It isn't like there aren't plenty of hard plastic surfaces in the metris cockpit already and so I don't think it looks completely out of place either. Currently, mine is a work van and not a show vehicle and so it is function over form all the way for me.

Mostly I was just posting here as a way to pay back for the lurking and ideas I receive from other members here in the forum - and not to show off my half-ass rigging of a cheap console. While I saw other folks mention this console in passing, I don't recall seeing photos of how it looked in the van and so wanted to share my experience for the benefit of others.

I plan to eventually do a "modular conversion" and make some removable camping components to use as a weekender camper while still being a functional daily cargo van. As such, at some point I will fabricate a center console to match the rest of the upfit build (and allow the seats to swivel) and so I didn't want to go with something pricey when I know it will be removed in a year or two. Not to be overly defensive but just so you know my thinking.

Finally, I hear you on Amazon, but I will admit that my wallet wins the argument with my conscience on this almost every time.

#8 ·
Nice work -- I need to be able to step over between front and back, so I'm limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.