Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a Metris. My primary purpose is hauling stuff but I'm looking at some used passenger models. I'm curious about:

A) I intend to haul some heavy loads part of the time. Is the passenger suspension a bad idea? What about fortification with those Super Sumo springs?

B) I'm not sure that I'll need a full 48" wide floor since it's possible to haul 4x8 material on edge in these vans but if I do.... How hard is it to rip the rear HVAC out and claim some floor space?

C) I'm having a hard time deciding about the lift gate vs the 270 doors. I've enjoyed the rain cover quite a few times with my Grand Caravans over the years. But I've had dreams of using a ramp to reach a loading dock from the back of the van. Swing out doors would be necessary for that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
B) I'm not sure that I'll need a full 48" wide floor since it's possible to haul 4x8 material on edge in these vans but if I do.... How hard is it to rip the rear HVAC out and claim some floor space?
Take a look at the attached picture, provided by JayH in another thread.

You could probably leave most of the ductwork alone, but the blower outlet and refrigerant lines that pass through the floor appear to encroach on the cargo width. Also consider what, if anything, it will take to fool the computer into not throwing codes when the rear HVAC sensors are out of range. Shouldn't be a big deal, but with Mercedes we're in a technical information desert.

C) I'm having a hard time deciding about the lift gate vs the 270 doors. I've enjoyed the rain cover quite a few times with my Grand Caravans over the years. But I've had dreams of using a ramp to reach a loading dock from the back of the van. Swing out doors would be necessary for that.
In my opinion the big win of the lift gate is the unobstructed rear window. Visibility is vastly improved. Rain cover is just a nice bonus. If you don't mind the post in the middle, and you want to back up to loading docks, get the 270° doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts

Just build a little platform to raise the 4x8s high enough for the width.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got mine over the weekend. I removed both rows of seating... rear weighs about 160lbs and middle row (I had 3 seats) is another 160lbs so about 320lbs all together for me. FYI the 2 seat section weighs about 100lbs on its own if yours doesn’t have the third seat.

Passenger models have a 1896lb payload so that takes you up to about 2200 or within a couple hundred pounds of a 126 WB van. I’m sure that is mostly trim panels and AC stuff.

Going to try to make my mods (mostly shelving and storage for my tools and products) somewhat easy to switch out in case we decide to use this for a roadtrip!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Actually payloads Vary; mine is a pax with 2096; or probably 2350 with seats removed. It is basically GVWR minus actual vehicle weight.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
There is a sticker in the drivers door that tells you all the loading information. It’s actually interesting; the loaner I’m driving is a GLC300 with 952lbs of payload. So if we were to load up the car with me (350lbs), my wife (140lbs), my mom (225lbs) and my dad (270lbs) plus 3 50lb suitcases so we could drive to the airport...

1130lbs... why our 5 passenger car would be 178lbs overweight. With still room for another passenger and possibly more luggage. Overloaded vehicles are a common problem in fact.

For example a Grand Caravan is 1600lbs 7 college kids on spring break would certainly overload one of those. That’s one of the Metris’s great features; 8 200 lb adults gives you not only space but the carrying capacity for 6 50 lb suitcases.

Honestly the only vehicle that comes close to matching a Metris for human carrying capacity is a 2500 Suburban.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Couple shots as the first shelving is going in... you can easily carry plywood sheets vertically with just a little lean. I’ll have another rack on the left so the plywood will fit right down the middle. you can also carry some 10’ boards down the middle when necessary. Thought I would “need” the LWB version but I think this is going to work out nicely. Plus I got a great deal in this one. ?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts