Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A driver-side sliding door can be very convenient. Can anyone speak to the downside of dual sliders?

A friend of mine has grown to really appreciate the uninterrupted wall space ahead of the wheel well on the left side of his single-slider Metris. He can secure tall items to the wall. If there was a door there, there'd be nothing to attach to. He's grateful not to have it.

Does the second door make the van appreciably noisier, less stiff, etc.? Thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A driver-side sliding door can be very convenient. Can anyone speak to the downside of dual sliders?

A friend of mine has grown to really appreciate the uninterrupted wall space ahead of the wheel well on the left side of his single-slider Metris. He can secure tall items to the wall. If there was a door there, there'd be nothing to attach to. He's grateful not to have it.

Does the second door make the van appreciably noisier, less stiff, etc.? Thoughts appreciated.
The only drawback to the drivers side door is the loss of wall space. The van feels, drives, and sounds the same. It's a very handy feature if you need to access both sides of the van from the outside.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ordered my cargo van 4 months ago, (eagerly and patiently waiting for that call to come) with the dual doors, simply for the convenience of getting things in and out, especially larger items on wheels. I will have 2x fold up ranger shelving at both back side of the sliding doors, that would (in my case) give me enough storage for the many tools and tanks boxes in a well organized way. About 12' of linear feet.
As far as stiffness is concerned, I am sure they Engeneered it in such way that it would not make a difference, for example the B and I assume C pillars are extra enforced to make up the lack of a real fixed panel, but again I am not an engineer....
The other plus side of this is that no matter how you are parked, you always will have a sidewalk to safely unload things, especially convenient in the city. I guess it was practical on my part to order the extra door and was more then willing to spend the extra $.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My sliding door stop working about two month ago, some how the rail got bent causing the motor burn out. As usual, all the part is from Germany, waited three week before I can get the van back. I notice the power sliding door will function better if it on level ground, but since my driveway is in slop, the door will have difficult opening or closing depend which way I park.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I wanted the dual sliding doors at first but ever cargo van I saw only had one. After using the van I was glad I didn't get both doors the wall comes in handy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I park in my garage, the passenger side is against the wall while the driver's side is towards the open space. I'm very satisfied with the sliding door on the driver's side, but it was a fairly costly option. Pros & cons... You are the best person to decide what will work best for you. I wouldn't do without a driver's side slider, but it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why is a partition needed when you order dual sliding doors? Is it necessary to keep the partition in place? Because of the partition I also cannot order the ducting for air going to the rear .. I have an orchid business and need the dual sliding doors and would like to keep the plants cool. Advice anyone?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why is a partition needed when you order dual sliding doors? Is it necessary to keep the partition in place? Because of the partition I also cannot order the ducting for air going to the rear .. I have an orchid business and need the dual sliding doors and would like to keep the plants cool. Advice anyone?
I have seen several Metris cargo vans with dual sliding doors and no partition.

Perhaps you're thinking of the rule that requires a partition if you order a side window in the sliding door.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dual sliders in Cargo

I ordered a cargo w/ dual sliders.
I like it a lot but echo the thoughts about the wall space.
I have removed my partition and it has nothing to do with the sliders IMHO

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm adding a rock-n-roll bed and realised that without the driver side slider, the space under it on the driver side is less useful for storage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only drawback to the drivers side door is the loss of wall space. The van feels, drives, and sounds the same. It's a very handy feature if you need to access both sides of the van from the outside.

I have sliding doors (both electric) - no issues but I would NEVER buy electric ones again, especially for our -40c cold conditions in winter. The simple sliding door that you slam would be recommended. MB has put so many safety features on the electric doors that they are super-sensitive to any attempt (by kids) to open them manually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts