Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Appologies if this is a repeat... I seemed to have some error last time posting.

Does anyone know if the cargo protection package is something I could install later. I am looking at a used metris which works well for me but it does not have this cargo protection package.

I need something like this to keep my gear in place when running deliveries as most of it is on casters. If not an OEM package... something that could function similarly.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ranger makes a nice partition. I too bought a used van but then removed the partition. I'd be very happy to sell it to you. It will take some work to get it installed correctly since new anchor points are added on the B pillar.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can order all of the factory parts. But as Green alluded to, it is much easier and cheaper to get a van with everything you want.

I have the Ranger Max View partition mentioned above. There are pros and cons to it. What I don't like about it is:
* very scratch prone
* The windows covers access to the door latches from inside the cargo area. You can still open the door if you have small hands
*Whatever you are looking at through the view area is distorted because of ripples in the plexiglass. It gets worse over time.

I have installed L-track on the sides in the rear of the van. US Cargo and Cargo Equipment have tracks, but not the same as OEM. Their pre-cut bolt holes are SAE measurements, not metric. You will have to buy the non-drilled version, cut them to size, and drill the bolt holes. Not a big deal if you have the tools.

The L-track on the floor is similar. The difference here is you will have to remove plywood floor to install. You have to decide whether you want flush or raised L-track. Flush is a bigger project since you will have to cut a trough the length of the plywood, where the OEM rails would be. Otherwise, you just have to find the bolt holes and drill into the plywood, or drill into the floor. For my van, I took a different route. So far its working for my needs.

As for the cargo panels on the sides, you can order those at any Mercedes dealership. It can be a pain in the arse. The parts person will ask for your VIN. When they pull up your VIN he/she will say, "Your Metris doesn't have these parts". Of course it doesn't, which is why I'm here!!!! Anyways, find a vehicle with the parts you want and get that VIN. It will save you lots of time and frustration. Oh!! And make sure that the part numbers have W447 and not W639.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the help.

So mine came with a cargo partition and panels on some of the walls to a degree which I am happy with. I do not need floor cargo hooks... just ones on the walls.

Can someone describe again exactly what is going on with the threaded holes in the vehicle and how to mount the aftermarket track on to that? I was a bit unclear there and want to take full advantage of this collective knowledge here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks all for the help.

So mine came with a cargo partition and panels on some of the walls to a degree which I am happy with. I do not need floor cargo hooks... just ones on the walls.

Can someone describe again exactly what is going on with the threaded holes in the vehicle and how to mount the aftermarket track on to that? I was a bit unclear there and want to take full advantage of this collective knowledge here.
Sorry if I wasn't clear above. The threaded holes are for the L-track. You can buy the L-track from Mercedes, or go with a non-OEM version.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry if I wasn't clear above. The threaded holes are for the L-track. You can buy the L-track from Mercedes, or go with a non-OEM version.
Cool, so I can just buy the segments which end up with enough length and then cut them down and still holes and buy bolts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm going to have to do the same thing. Does anyone know which company Mercedes sourced the L-track from? I've got no problem with drilling my own holes, but it would be better to get the tracks from the same manufacturer. That way you'll know that the anchors will work with both sets of track.

·
Registered
98 Posts
These are the pics of mine. I ordered a couple of non-drilled 100" standard L-tracks from Cargo Equipment Corp. I installed a track on each wall, one at the bottom of my Ranger partition, and another going horizontal between the wheel wells. All have held up great, with the one between the wells getting abused the most by holding down my motorcycles.

I looked for a company that makes the OEM rails, but couldn't find one. For the price, Cargo Equipment was just what I needed, especially since I was laying extra track.

Most of the anchors are interchangeable with different manufacturers. At least, most of the American-made ones are.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you use the existing threaded holes to secure your rails above the wheel wells? Do you by chance have the part numbers for the Mercedes L track pieces?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry-the question in my previous post was for gogoKawi. Also, would I need anything more than a basic drill and hacksaw to customize the aftermarket L track you used?

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry-the question in my previous post was for gogoKawi. Also, would I need anything more than a basic drill and hacksaw to customize the aftermarket L track you used?

Thanks!
Dremel and Hacksaw

Bolts I bought are on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9NNVQI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you use those bolts, you will have to countersink them.

It's best to use mm instead of inches for measurements. Also, if you get the non-OEM L-track, the points on the track are in inches. This will cause problems because where you want the bolt holes will interfere with the track. Here is where the Dremel will come in. You will have to shave just a little bit of the track for your bolt to fit. This may prevent you from using that part of the track in the future. Just something to keep in mind. Not a problem if you get the OEM track, which you can order from just about any Mercedes dealer. And sorry, I don't have the part number.

I didn't use all of the pre-threaded holes in the wall since I'm not securing anything heavy to the rails. You may want to depending on your need.

Lastly, some type of insulation between the track and the wall will help prevent any rattling. This really shouldn't be an issue. But I added it just in case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just want to ask you, with RANGER MAX VIEW PARTITION, do you really have max seat travel and still 96 inches cargo space?
Thank you!
Vlad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts