Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled the cargo area wall panels off in preparation for the first stage of insulation. The first thing I noticed is that the usual small bags of sound insulation were absent. Second was this layer of thin yellow grease that is sprayed over the lower half of the bottom wall cavities. Obviously that will have to be removed before the peel and stick foam is laid down. I'm guessing the function of the grease is to protect that area for corrosion from moisture. I was wondering if anyone knew better?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had the yellowish grease on the walls of my cargo van also. I didn't try to remove it. I used rigid foam (R-Max is one brand) so it was just pushed into place in the walls. If I needed to glue it in place, like on the ceiling, I used blow foam as an adhesive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may be overkill but I plan to install foil backed 10mm foam throughout (double on ceiling) with additional bagged insulation to fill the wall cavities. Panels to be covered with auto upholstery material and 1/4" carpeting stretched over exposed metals after covering holes with heat molded kydex sheeting. Project 1 closed cell expanding foam to fill extrusions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, at the risk of becoming a Necroposter.... I just completed a carpet install inside my 2017 Cargo... gotta say I learned some lessons:

1) 4-way stretch carpet rules!
2) Vinyl (even the good stuff) sux if the are trying to do curvy stuff.
3) 3M 90 (at least the CA version) is overrated.
4) 3M Headliner adhesive is da schizzle!

I found that you need a certain amount of stretch to make things work. Lotsa curves on the Metris. Kinda like trying to cover Selma Hayak in a single piece of material without seams or wrinkles. Especially the bulkhead partition.
Also, the 3M90 gives you one shot. If you have to re-adjust it seems to just de-bond from the painted metal. The Headliner adhesive gives you a second chance and you can really push and poke into the corners for about 15-30 minutes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ripped off the vinyl frpm the bulkhead and installed a nice graphite 4 way stretch on the cabin side today. Ms. Hayack looks much better now.
Tomorrow the grey on the cargo side.
Only issue is that now I have to cut away somethign in the louver area as the carpet thickness blocks the ventilation

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mo, you get the award for funniest post of the fire season.
But, if you must drool, you must also learn to spell. It's Salma Hayek.
Thanks for lightening my day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts