Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and read numerous threads, but I can't quite find what I'm looking for. I have a '16 cargo version that I used to haul dirt bikes around. I'd like to hook up a very small inverter in the cargo area, just to power up a couple of chargers. Rechargeable LED lights, cordless tool chargers, etc. Nothing too large. My van only has the one accessory (cigarette) plug in lower tray under the radio. That isn't the best spot. I'd like to tap a switched 12v supply in the cargo area and mount the inverter, so I can place the items I want to charge on the shelves I have installed in the cargo area. Anybody had luck finding a wiring diagram, or better yet, has anyone found a good wire to tap for this? Again, I'm not trying to power up a bunch of stuff, so I don't need much power.

·
Registered
305 Posts
A switched supply with enough current to run an inverter might be tough to find. Maybe if you have powered sliding cargo door(s)?

In my 2016 Cargo, I snaked a wire from an unused fuse under the front passenger seat into the cargo area. If you take out the battery, there is @ plastic enclosed housing mounted to the metal front panel. It contains high current fuses and has some cables coming off various exposed terminal posts. Mine had unused posts, so I attached a wire lug to one and ran it along the front floor towards the driver and along the inside floor towards the cargo area where there was room to snake it out through an opening into the cargo area. I then fused it to match my expected load.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
336 Posts
EK1 terminal 30 is on all the time (25A), terminal 15 on with ignition (15A). Contact springs may be hard to get, I just used a modified spade connector. Door sill pops out easily to run wire to the back.
edit: EK1 was only standard for the passenger model in 2016, so you may not have it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the ek1 option. I think I'll do what @Tree95 did and just tap an available lug on the pre fuse box, then just build a switched relay panel and aux fuse box in the rear. Thanks for the idea @Tree95

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
340 Posts
You could probably fit the inverter behind the start battery under the passenger seat if its relatively small. The positive connection could be the "A2 Catch" which is for the "Control Unit, preglow system" according to the description in the Fuse Allocation Supplement for the 2016 Cargo van. Since we all have a gasoline engine, there are no glow plugs. That circuit is fused for 100 amps which is more than enough for a small inverter.

Look for my Sterling Battery to Battery Charger thread in the Builds forum, it might be helpful if you choose to put the inverter under the passenger seat. https://www.metrisforum.com/forum/4...sterling-battery-battery-charger-install.html

·
Registered
870 Posts
EK1 terminal 30 is on all the time (25A), terminal 15 on with ignition (15A). Contact springs may be hard to get, I just used a modified spade connector. Door sill pops out easily to run wire to the back.
edit: EK1 was only standard for the passenger model in 2016, so you may not have it.
I just had to shell out $28 for contact springs and fuse boxes (3 ea in case I screw up). $16 for shipping!!! Anyway, I wanted to get an idea of how you modified a spade connector to make it work -- I know it's been a while.

I haven't been in the EK1 yet, but I decided against trying to find a switched ignition source for the DC-DC charger someplace else. That way the rig will be totally BEG compliant AFAIK.

Also, I'm inclined to use the Terminal 61 "engine running" 15A terminal instead of Terminal 15 so that I don't need to be concerned with draining the starter battery if I leave the key on. Any reason why not?

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
336 Posts
I just had to shell out $28 for contact springs and fuse boxes (3 ea in case I screw up). $16 for shipping!!! Anyway, I wanted to get an idea of how you modified a spade connector to make it work -- I know it's been a while.

Also, I'm inclined to use the Terminal 61 "engine running" 15A terminal instead of Terminal 15 so that I don't need to be concerned with draining the starter battery if I leave the key on. Any reason why not?

Thanks
Yes, it has been a while. As I recall, I just chopped it a bit narrower with some side cutters and jammed it in. It's still working...
I guess I wasn't worried about the dashcam draining the battery. In parking mode, it does draw a bit as on these frosty mornings there's a clear spot on the windshield where it keeps it a bit warmer. No problem starting though, even after a couple of days.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
336 Posts
Next time I'll put it on the auxiliary battery which is maintained by the solar panels.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Next time I'll put it on the auxiliary battery which is maintained by the solar panels.
I won't be drawing major power from the starter battery through EK1, just enough for the ignition-on lead on the Renogy DC-DC charger/MPPT. Should get my gold-plated factory fuse install parts today.

I am looking for a stealth entry point for the 10 AWG solar panel cables. I am not doing a roof mount -- strictly portable. I'm thinking about the left rear below-the-taillight area by the bumper cover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts