Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 2018 135 cargo build so far. I could not find a partition with a pass through that allowed for vertical transport of 4'x 8' sheets and long trim, full seat travel with 20 degree recline, and the ability for horizontal 4'x 8' transport as well so I built my own using 1/4" & 1/2" baltic birch ply. As built 4'x 10' sheets will fit vertically with the rear doors closed.
I also wanted the ability to remove all of my tool boxes and bags without climbing into the interior. The driver side pull out has 44" 450lb. capacity slides mounted to 1/2" baltic birch ply with metal shelf edges to add rigidity. The slides lock in and out by flipping the red tabs. The hooks that hold the tool bags can be positioned anywhere along the 2 tracks or removed completely. The passenger side shelves have folding brackets rated for 330 lbs.
Loading or removing all tool bags and boxes takes less than 5 minutes, and leaves a very large space for hauling bulky items when required.
The pass through is secured with 2 cam window locks and is very solid when in place.
I also installed 1/8" ply in all areas open to the exterior metal surface, in my van experience things fall over and dent the exterior if it isn't protected and I had excellent results with this ply protecting a much thinner pickup aluminum topper exterior.
I estimate the partition, shelves, and slide out add less than 250 lbs. and give excellent cargo configurability.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
Brilliantly simple. I like using the bags for storage -- that's what they're for

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for posting those photos.

Great build out.

I have wanted to do something similar but with the ability to have vertical plywood down the middle and 4 seats. Not sure if that is really possible or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice build on your Metris.

What size bolts are needed inside the cargo hold area? I am looking at trying to attach a E-Track system so that we can ratchet rolling cases to the side instead of the floor.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Awesome build...especially that partition. Did you make templates, plans to share or sell ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. The partition was a challenge to build and is a one off as each piece is custom templated.
The center section is made of 2 pieces of 1/4" baltic birch ply, where the upper (vertical) piece meets the lower (angled) piece I have two- 3" pieces of 1/2" baltic birch ply reinforcing the 20 degree angled joint, the 1/2" material has glue and biscuits and the 1/4" ply is screwed to it.
The partition only touches the floor between the seats with the removable center piece, I bolted two- 1/2" ply pieces to the top of each seat frame (there is plenty of room available and I used existing holes) and cut the back edge at 20 degrees to accept the bottom edge of the center partition.
I used corrugated cardboard pieces to template the contours of the sides and top of the van to the 1/4"ply, then holding the rough cut ply in place and fine tuning with a belt sander to a approx. 1/4" gap between the ply and metal van sides. This method produced the main center partition, the sliding door piece again required templating to fit within 1/4" of the plastic door post trim, I did not screw into the plastic door post cover, the partition is fastened to the van roof, seat frames, and behind the drivers seat on the side of the van, the sliding door is operable from inside the cargo area.
The complete assembled 1 piece partition was removed and the center panel was cut out, I sized it to be equal in width to the space between the armrests when removed and 50" off the floor to the top opening, then reinforced the cut opening with 1/2" baltic birch, and added to the removable center piece the lower assembly that closes the space between the seat bases and floor.
Finally I removed the entire partition and applied a water based clear finish to all surfaces, then contact cemented a rubber 5/16" gasket to the side and top edges where I had scribed the partition to within 1/4" of the van metal, this reduced the gap between partition and metal.
The installed partition does not rattle, it is light weight and rigid, and has sealed the passenger area from the cargo very well.
I wish one of the companies that builds van aftermarket equipment would make something like this, a removable center section that does not bolt to the floor thus robbing the Metris of the ability to store 4'x8' sheets on the floor, I could not find anything that offered the flexibility I made.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts