Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2016 cargo, this rubber molding on the door by the driver's seat has come off again. It has had some type of ineffective white-grey colored adhesive applied already. Does anyone know of an effective glue for this metal-rubber connection?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Grey Vehicle door

·
Registered
995 Posts
There is no adhesive applied from the factory. It looks like both the upper and lower B-pillar covers have been deformed or have become disconnected. There are metal clips holding both covers. The clips are pretty tough, but they can bend. They are cheap to buy online if you want to see why the gasket is out. After two or three removals, I bent one myself. Most of the interior plastic stuff is not designed for repeated removal and reinstallation.

it looks like you an upfit window on the passenger side. If your upfitter tried to add a cable under the B-pillar covers, that may be the issue. I examined that area very closely and found cable paths internal to the B-pillar only. If they have wire under the covers, it may be pushing them out.

You might try to reform the B-pillar covers with a heat gun if they are just warped?

Having done everything but answer your question, I'd use Barge cement for a fix. It works and it's pretty reversible if you want to fix it right. You could use 3M Windo-Weld if you never want to remove the gasket intact.

Reactions: icerabbit

·
Registered
14 Posts
The guy who worked on our build took off the weather stripping around one door and didn't put it back very well. So 2,000 miles from home we started to have wind whistling around the door. The first auto supply place we stopped at had some sort of weather stripping adhesive. We applied it and the weather stripping has stayed in place ever since. Alas, I don't remember the brand.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,591 Posts
I also put bungees around the frame for a few hours to put pressure on it as the first time it didn’t last very long. Fingers crossed.
Most of these are instant bond if you do it right. You must use a thin film on both the hard surface like the van and on the weatherstrip surface that is going to contact the van. Must let them dry completely. That doesn't take long if it's a thin film as required. You then bring the two into contact. Depending on the specific product that's something you are not going to be adjusting after sticking them together. They are probably full bond after 24 hours or so. It does depend on the product and just how well you prepped the surface.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts