Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Can Anyone recommend an OBD II Reader

38K views 56 replies 21 participants last post by  Metrisownermanual 
#1 ·
I'm looking for an OBD II reader for my 2016 Metris. I just returned a Launch CPR 129 because it does not support the Metris. I'm considering an Innova 3150F but their chart does not list the Metris. Although asked on Amazon if they support support the Metris, the repsponse was that they support all vehicles sold in the US and Canada after 1998. That's a bit too much like saying the check is in the mail.....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y26XQPF/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I20B34Z02FJ20C&colid=3MQ7HAZB1IK9U

#3 ·
The idea behind OBDII is it's a standard, so it should work on all cars after 96..
That's the theory, but it's not true in practice as with many technical standards.

This device won't clear faults on my Metris (I didn't get gas cap on right one time) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UJV3E12/

Do you know if your BT device clear faults on a Metris? Not from product descriptions, but from actual experience?

#5 ·
I can say that the "Bosch ODB 1200" does NOT work to clear codes.

I pulled the front driver's seat and after disconnecting the two wiring harnesses, I got an airbag failure warning that couldn't be dismissed from the dash console. I ended up having to pay the dealer to clear it :(

I'm still looking for the right tool for this because I am sure to trigger one again with the work I have planned. I suspect it's going to be a software based tool since they are easier to update and tweak to meet manufacturer specific augmentations to the standard.

Someone please let us know if you can confirm one that works to clear codes.

Attachments

#7 ·
I can say that the "Bosch ODB 1200" does NOT work to clear codes.

I pulled the front driver's seat and after disconnecting the two wiring harnesses, I got an airbag failure warning that couldn't be dismissed from the dash console. I ended up having to pay the dealer to clear it :(
From researching, the airbag fault codes appear to be special in some way and can not be cleared by a standard OBD tool (which of course just proves how standard standards can be)

This device specifically claims to understand and clear Mercedes airbag (SRS) faults.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DNAMT2/

It's in my cart on Amazon, but I'm out of town and won't click buy until shortly before I get home. So, I can't verify the claim.

#6 ·
Waterjerome- Thanks for the info on the Bosch OBD 1200. I've got exactly the same issue after having pulled the drivers seat to install a heater. I'm planning on installing seat swivels so I haven't bothered to get the fault cleared by the dealer. I'd rather have an OBD to to it myself since I know all that happened was that the wiring harness connection was taken off.

#8 ·
Tree95- A couple of thoughts on the iCarsoft MBII-

From the Amazon Product Description page listing the supported models-

Vito/V-Class--Model Designation 638
Vito/Viano--Model Designation 639 (OBDII)

I'd feel a whole lot better if I saw the Metris W447 listed.....

Another big red flag- when I Google the iCarsoft home page all I get is the 404 page not found error. That's makes it pretty tough to verify if the Metris is supported or to get updates/product support. Of course it could just be a temporary problem, but if an on line retailer can't keep even a basic website up and running I have serious doubts about their whole operation.

But iCarsoft does get a decent review on the "MB Medic" website- http://www.mercedesmedic.com/icarsoft-scanner-review/

#10 ·
I sent this inquiry to the Innova support concerning their 3150F OBD II reader:

I have a 2016 Mercedes Benz Metris, a cargo van. Does the 3150f read the OBD II codes for this vehicle? If so, does that include the SRS and ABS codes?

Their response: This tool supports all US, and Canadian sold vehicles made after 1996 that are OBD-II complaint and under 8,500lbs Gross vehicle weight. If you do not know if your vehicle is OBD-II certified, you can check your emissions label on the roof of the hood, or near the radiator. Vehicles over 8,500 GVW are not required by law to be OBD-II compliant, therefore our tools will not always connect to them since they have a different programming within their PCM.

Vehicles sold in other countries, although similar, are not set up the same as the ones sold in the US, and our readers may not be able to link. There are times when our readers will link to vehicles sold outside the US, or Canada but this is not guaranteed.

Once again, it looks like the only way to find out for sure is to buy one and test it.

#13 ·
I purchased this ODB II Bluetooth reader on eBay (KW902 ODB II Diagnostic Code Scanner in case the link does not work correctly):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KW902-ODB-...918760?hash=item2111f0dd68:g:4nMAAOSwM4xXbS7e

I have gotten a few of the P4055 errors for the "Evaporative Emission Control System" (EVAP). I used this unit to clear the code and CEL. Not sure about the SRS system. But I also used it on my Brothers 2003 Ford Expidition and it worked well. Real cheap too.

Gene

#14 ·
I can understand wanting to clear a CEL especially since most times its nothing and clearing it will permanently get rid of it.

But my god, man. What the **** are you doing when your van says that your biggest safety feature (that’d be ESP) and a pyrotechnic device are operating out of spec, and you want to run codes and screw with it yourself? You get that thing to the dealer posthaste.

#15 ·
I had the Innova 3150f but it too failed to recognize the Metris. I sent it back on the 1st of Nov and I'm still trying to pry a refund out of Amazon/Innova.

For those of you that remove your seats or even disconnect the electrical connectors under the seat, you'll be dealing with a warning message for each seat.

#22 ·
Anyone know if clearing the SRS light will be covered under warranty (bumper to bumper). Mine came on after I removed the seats and installed seat heaters. On a side note, are there any federal rules extending the warranty coverage for the SRS like there are for emissions controls ?

If it's not a warranty issue anyone know the cost to clear the code?

#31 ·
Here is a summary of what I've learned through first hand experience with OBD II readers/scanners or reported by others here on the Metris site.

These models do NOT work on the Metris:

Inova 3150f- I had one in my hands and tested it in Nov 2017

Launch CRP129 OBD2 Scanner Diagnostic Tool- I had one in my hands and tested it in July 2017

iCarsoft Genuine Mercedes Benz I980 Professional Diagnostic Scanner Tool- response to my question on Amazon by an iCarsoft representative

iCarsoft MBII for Mercedes Benz/Sprinter/Smart Professional Diagnostic Tool Scanner- reported by 2017MetrisCamper

FOXWELL NT301 Car Obd2 Code Scanner- reported by Tree95

Bosch ODB 1200- reported by Waterjerome

KW902 ODB II Diagnostic Code Scanner Read Phone Android ELM327 Bluetooth Torque (from EBay) cleared P4055 errors for the "Evaporative Emission Control System" (EVAP). I used this unit to clear the code and CEL- reported by etdown

Autel- I sent an email to Autel, which sells a variety of automotive electronic diagnostic devices ranging from the low end to high end ones aimed at auto shops, if they had any OBD II readers/scanners that worked with the Metris. Here is the response: "Benz W447 software is under development, we plan to release new software to our Maxisys scanners to support W447 in February. "

So Autel appears to be the best hope in the near future for an OBD II reader for the Metris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.