Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I purchased the iCarsoft MBII for Mercedes Benz/Sprinter/Smart and it does NOT clear airbag codes on the 2017 Metris.
You can only test the Engine via OBD II

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone know if clearing the SRS light will be covered under warranty (bumper to bumper). Mine came on after I removed the seats and installed seat heaters. On a side note, are there any federal rules extending the warranty coverage for the SRS like there are for emissions controls ?

If it's not a warranty issue anyone know the cost to clear the code?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yeah, just tell them it came on while you were driving. It'll suck for the tech if they actually try to diag it...

It'd prolly cost 1 hr of labor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mercedes of Long Beach wanted $175 to reset mine. Additional on top of Service A.
Needless to say I am just living with the light.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am unaware that CA smog has anything to do with a Supplemental Restraint warning.
Check engine yes, but SRS I believe not.

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Here is a summary of what I've learned through first hand experience with OBD II readers/scanners or reported by others here on the Metris site.

These models do NOT work on the Metris:

Inova 3150f- I had one in my hands and tested it in Nov 2017

Launch CRP129 OBD2 Scanner Diagnostic Tool- I had one in my hands and tested it in July 2017

iCarsoft Genuine Mercedes Benz I980 Professional Diagnostic Scanner Tool- response to my question on Amazon by an iCarsoft representative

iCarsoft MBII for Mercedes Benz/Sprinter/Smart Professional Diagnostic Tool Scanner- reported by 2017MetrisCamper

FOXWELL NT301 Car Obd2 Code Scanner- reported by Tree95

Bosch ODB 1200- reported by Waterjerome

KW902 ODB II Diagnostic Code Scanner Read Phone Android ELM327 Bluetooth Torque (from EBay) cleared P4055 errors for the "Evaporative Emission Control System" (EVAP). I used this unit to clear the code and CEL- reported by etdown

Autel- I sent an email to Autel, which sells a variety of automotive electronic diagnostic devices ranging from the low end to high end ones aimed at auto shops, if they had any OBD II readers/scanners that worked with the Metris. Here is the response: "Benz W447 software is under development, we plan to release new software to our Maxisys scanners to support W447 in February. "

So Autel appears to be the best hope in the near future for an OBD II reader for the Metris.

·
Registered
939 Posts
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices - works to clear and is compatible with the Torque app.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices - works to clear and is compatible with the Torque app.
I got this scanner yesterday and downloaded the Torque Pro app onto my Android phone. I have 3 faults showing up each time I start my van- 2 for having removed each of the seats without first disconnecting the battery and third light for the sliding door being open. The scanner didn't detect any of them, much less clear them.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Maybe you can walk through what you did to check for faults? Otherwise we might assume you didn't click on the faults option and run the scan.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought an OBDLink LX Bluetooth Scan Tool for $50. I got it mainly to automate odometer logging for business use and it was one of the recommended models for use with my logging app (TripLog 2) It claims to be able to clear codes etc. My van's not showing any codes right now (it was just in for service) so I can't confirm that. If someone has a specific question about it I'll try to answer. I'm definitely not an expert on these things. They have a wifi version too, but it's more than twice as expensive at $130.

They claim it won't drain the battery of you leave it connected. Not sure if some of the other BT readers make that claim or not. It also requires physical access to pair to it and it offers encryption. In light of reading about people hacking into cars' systems lately that seemed like a good idea.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Maybe you can walk through what you did to check for faults? Otherwise we might assume you didn't click on the faults option and run the scan.
Once I had the reader linked to my phone with a good Blue Tooth connection, I had it scan the Metris using the "Fault Code" reading function in Torque Pro. It took a minute or so to do the scan and then reported no fault codes were detected. The van was idling while the scan was being done. The the icons on Torque Pro indicated that I had everything set up and connected correctly.

I watched a couple of You Tube videos on setting up the Torque Pro and I believe I have it set up correctly. If I missed something, please chime in!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have 3 faults showing up each time I start my van- 2 for having removed each of the seats without first disconnecting the battery and third light for the sliding door being open. The scanner didn't detect any of them, much less clear them.
So all these scanners listed are just for clearing drivetrain codes. To clear an SRS light, you need either SDS - our shop scanners, or something that will communicate deeper than just OBD2. I think maybe Matco has something like it, but that's still more expensive than telling the dealership to clear it.
The sliding door being open sounds more electrical fault.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts