Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. The wife just called stating this piece broke loose during transit (she could hear the clank and road noise as it was hanging) and once she pulled over pulled it out of the part in 2nd pic. She didn’t notice any issues with the remainder of the drive.

Any info to help us know next steps? Thanks in advance.

Textile Sleeve Comfort Finger Vehicle door

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Could it be road debris that jammed into the plastic part (a lift point I think)?

Reactions: icerabbit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After she arrived home that’s what I’ve concluded too. I think it got kicked up and javelined that part. This was the right rear nub.
Is that what it is, a lift spot?

Can you confirm there is nothing normally attached to that part? I can’t recall anything there from memory.

·
Super Moderator
252 Posts
Could it be road debris the jammed into the plastic part (a lift point I think)?
After she arrived home that’s what I’ve concluded too. I think it got kicked up and javelined that part. This was the right rear nub.
Is that what it is, a lift spot?

Can you confirm there is nothing normally attached to that part? I can’t recall anything there from memory.
Nothing should be attached. The lift pads come from the factory hole-free.

The pads are super strong in compression but their mounting posts are somewhat easy to shear. I keep spares on hand for that reason.

Shearing can happen when applying a side load, such as when lifting with a floor jack and the jack wheels get stuck on something. Or, I suppose, when speared by a metal rod.

The pad part number is A 639 583 00 46.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You are much better off buying a Tesla jack pad and pulling those ridiculous jack pads of the Metris when using a floor jack. A flat bladed screwdriver removes them in 10 seconds. Then pop one of these in and don’t worry about breaking Mercedes plastic.
Glasses White Product Peripheral Cosmetics

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You are much better off buying a Tesla jack pad and pulling those ridiculous jack pads of the Metris when using a floor jack. A flat bladed screwdriver removes them in 10 seconds. Then pop one of these in and don’t worry about breaking Mercedes plastic. View attachment 21059
Do you have a source?

·
Super Moderator
252 Posts
You are much better off buying a Tesla jack pad and pulling those ridiculous jack pads of the Metris when using a floor jack. A flat bladed screwdriver removes them in 10 seconds. Then pop one of these in and don’t worry about breaking Mercedes plastic. View attachment 21059
Aren't those just hockey pucks with a rubber bump stop held on with a wood screw? I wouldn't expect them to be substantially more resistant to side loads.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,031 Posts
I've been wondering if the hummer/H1 scissor jack fits the hole. 3.5 ton and 17" of lift. Good for light off road situations. The 4x4 community is loving them. There is an aftermarket cradle that fits on the peg for axle and frame jacking. Advantage of the peg is no slipping.

·
Super Moderator
252 Posts
The ones on Amazon have an o-ring that keeps them snug.
The one in the picture, which is also sold on Amazon, is a hockey puck with a rubber bumper stuck on top. I doubt it offers meaningful improvement in lateral strength.

Some of the O-ring ones also appear to be made from a separate base and mounting peg. Some don't.

The height of the O-ring groove seems to vary by model, which on a Metris will cause some to be loose and others to be snug.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,031 Posts
The one in the picture, which is also sold on Amazon, is a hockey puck with a rubber bumper stuck on top. I doubt it offers meaningful improvement in lateral strength.

Some of the O-ring ones also appear to be made from a separate base and mounting peg. Some don't.

The height of the O-ring groove seems to vary by model, which on a Metris will cause some to be loose and others to be snug.
Oh, I'm in now way advocating keeping them on the van. I was just making an observation after using google-fu.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you have to put different ones in before use and put the originals back in so the replacements are not lost … kind of a strange upgrade.
I am 99% sure the Mercedes lift points are only supposed to be used 4 at a time with a lift. Any angular force tends to snap them. Ask me how I know. Maybe also for a scissor jack, but no way am I doing anything but changing a flat using one of those.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
I never saw any side / floor jacking, one or two wheels at a time when I lived in EU; and took a vehicle in for service ... unless maybe you just had a flat tire and all lifts were busy. Either it was the two colums with two arms that position and extend or your vehicle was driven onto a rectangular frame that lifted, and had some stand off block things if it had to be wheels off the ground. So, yes, MB probably only designed these pucks to have a strictly vertical load on all four at once.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello folks. The wife just called stating this piece broke loose during transit (she could hear the clank and road noise as it was hanging) and once she pulled over pulled it out of the part in 2nd pic. She didn’t notice any issues with the remainder of the drive.

Any info to help us know next steps? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 21047
View attachment 21046
Nope you don't need it looks like the shank from a 24"x1/4" steel drill bit be happy it didn't take out your tire or gas tank there might be a label on it "Lenox, husky, bell system, home cheepo". AC.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts