Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one time I removed seats thus far, I removed the 2nd row bench and easy access seat, and I moved the 3rd row bench to the 2nd row. The process eroded my will to live much more than I had anticipated.

In eyeballing the 3rd row through the rear, it looks like there is not sufficient clearance to disconnect the 3rd row and just pull it straight out the back. Has anyone been able to do this? Since my most frequent seating modification would be removal of the 3rd row only, it would be nice if that did not require removing both rows just to access the 3rd row.

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
My solution to you is to do what I do: 2-3-2. Second row seat is much easier to remove. It can be accessed through the rear hatch. Unless you frequently transport 6 people back there.

I am not responsible for liability by the by.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The answer is no. Just gave it a try and as far as I can tell you would need to rotate the 3 bench to take it out of the rear. I also think the middle bench has to be out to make enough room to rotate. Sigh, kinda bummed on the seats in all honesty not real user friendly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
make a seat dolly. http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/393-interior-shelving/2890-diy-3rd-row-seat-dolly.html The 3rd row needs to be turned side ways to come out but you don't need to take out the middle seat to do it and take the head rests out too.

I'm not convinced the seats are the way they are for safety, most likely money, it looks like they could fold with the right parts but there's a pin welded to the frame that would need to come out first.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm not convinced the seats are the way they are for safety, most likely money, it looks like they could fold with the right parts but there's a pin welded to the frame that would need to come out first.
I think you are right here. Seats in other vans, many cars, nearly all hatchbacks and station wagons are foldable without safety concerns. I have a 2001 VW van and the rear seat may be even heavier than those in our Metris, but it folds forward and makes removal quite a bit easier.

·
Registered
259 Posts
in that case, you are probably correct. I would have liked to see better pass through under the seats but instead it has large diagonal reinforcements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, all, for the replies. I agree that the seats are perhaps the biggest disappointment with this vehicle. I like the idea that they don't do any sort of stow-n-go tricks, since those designs still require that the seats, when folded, rob the user of some of the interior volume. I like the more utilitarian notion of being able to completely remove the seats and have massive, flexible cargo van capability with the exceptionally low loading height.

I saw Greenmanedlion's previous post about his seating configuration, but I use my Metris for hauling three rows of adults regularly, so I cannot have the third row be made inaccessible by moving the three-seat bench to the middle row and putting the two-seat bench in back.

I had also read with great interest the seat dolly post, and I may have to pay someone to fabricate one of those. That contraption seems like the best pathway to preservation of my will to live when wrestling Metris seats.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The seats are a menace to remove. We put a pretty nasty crease in the composite floor trying every angle rotating the third seat. In the end, it was easier to remove the second seat and take it out through the side door. I was thinking of a seat dolly myself if we start using the vehicle for more than a driver, passenger and cargo. First, some shoes are needed for the anchors to prevent damage to the floor after they are removed from the track. That is easy. Could just be cardboard.

But, this is how I would start the seat dolly ($59 at HF- 1000lb). Needs a cradle.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Also, for those unfamiliar with how to store stuff that gets wheeled into your garage on a dolly, put a 1/4" eye bolted through the ceiling joist and hook this to it (Amaz $16):

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts