Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I know that this space is supposed to be for me to be pitching you all on some-product-or-another, but I'm paying to be here so I hope you all can forgive me for using a post just for questions that I have.

Specifically for those who have converted their Metris' into campervans, here are my questions:

What was the hardest part of wiring your house electrical? (Not including connecting your house battery to your engine's charge system.)
Do you use solar panels of some sort? (fixed panel on the roof or a portable blanket type?)
Where did you locate your switch panel for your house accessories?

That's it!!!

If you don't want to post an answer, feel free to DM me any insight you have.

Thanks so much y'all.

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
340 Posts
Welcome to the Metris Forum.

This thread covers how I connected my house system to the vehicle's charging system. It was not overly difficult, but it did take some research and disassembly. I'm sure it would be easier for a professional upfitter with more expertise than what I possess. Sterling Battery to Battery Charger Install

Hardest part of my wiring? First figuring out where to connect the Sterling charger. Then mounting the charger below the passenger seat. Its not the most elegant installation, but it works and I've not had any problems.

Solar panel? Yep, got one large one permanently mounted to my roof rack.

Electrical controls? Mounted on the wall. See pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks so much for taking the time to reply to this! I really appreciate it a ton.
Very nice work on your build by the way. It's obvious that you put some thought as well as time and effort into it.

Best,

Curt

·
Registered
81 Posts
Most difficult task on electrical system: finding a set of lifepo4 cells fitting the small compartment under the driver seat.

I used flexible solar panels. Attaching them to roof was a hard task as well.

I put the controls/switches on the two OEM covers behind the driver and passenger seats, mainly because all my significant electric components (house battery/inverter/B-B charger/solar charger) are under these two seats. You can find details and pictures in this thread:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks so much for taking the time to reply to this! I really appreciate it a ton.
Very nice work on your build by the way. It's obvious that you put some thought as well as time and effort into it.

Best,

Curt
Most difficult task on electrical system: finding a set of lifepo4 cells fitting the small compartment under the driver seat.

I used flexible solar panels. Attaching them to roof was a hard task as well.

I put the controls/switches on the two OEM covers behind the driver and passenger seats, mainly because all my significant electric components (house battery/inverter/B-B charger/solar charger) are under these two seats. You can find details and pictures in this thread:

Nicely done!!
I definitely dig the use of those OEM covers for your switches/ouput ports. That is such a weird area in these vans that not much can go there, so it seems to be a great use of that spot.

-Curt

·
Registered
85 Posts
It wasn't my van, but one for a customer. Similar to other vans, I just used one of these 1x1 drop in systems. Its the size of a suit case and has everything already built - in. Batteries, solar controller, inverter, etc. Also has a built in small battery to battery charger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It wasn't my van, but one for a customer. Similar to other vans, I just used one of these 1x1 drop in systems. Its the size of a suit case and has everything already built - in. Batteries, solar controller, inverter, etc. Also has a built in small battery to battery charger.

Wow that thing is wild! Did you have the chance to test to see what voltage the battery-to-battery was getting the house batteries up to? I'm curious to see where folks are ending up charging off the engine charge system. (In theory, using a B2B charger should get you up to full charge, ~13.1V for those Lifeline's, but I've seen a TON of varied results.)

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The built in chargers (both solar and battery to battery) are all temperature compensated and programmed specifically for the Lifeline AGMs. The temp compensation covers the automotive temperature range. When it is cold, the charge voltage profile rises to match the specs that Lifelline has in their manual. I am very familiar with the unit and it works really well.

Unlike most systems on the market, this one has voltage regulation on the 12 volt outlets. They are rock solid at 13 volts. That way the 12 volt compressor refrigerators don't go into low voltage shut down as the battery voltage rises and falls during the charge / discharge cycle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I read a test between the most popular "Flexible" panels and standard rigid ones. Flexi-panels performed way below their wattage output specifications compared to at spec or above for rigid panels. All I'm saying is if you buy them it's probably a good idea to put a meter on it before installation. Sorry, the source is long gone from my brain - I believe it was a credible YouTube Channel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts