Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Received the little $5 backup camera.

Looks like the LEDs are on continuously, when it receives power, because it is a little backup camera. Maybe I should have gotten one without LEDs?

I don't think it is waterproof as claimed, as I see little gaps and the wire wiggles a little, so will have to treat it a bit.

I have to fiddle with the connection ( as I didn't buy the $20 version, so it doesn't have the right plug ), and I have to wire up 12v to it; but with a test battery, I can get a view out of the thing onto the tablet screen. Proof of concept, the third brake light location will be suitable and will cover a utility trailer area nicely.

Right now I'm trying to invent some kind of temporary mount.

This is going to be sweet for going to the lumber yard, garden center, etc because

a) the backup camera is blocked and has a huge dead zone
b) even with glass, visibility is often limited through the center of my van due to extra reflections and glare due to the partition glass
c) space you need to maneuver into can be tight
d) people around you can be clueless
e) and people around you can be anywhere from impatient to total ( -expletives- )

Automotive navigation system Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Spectacular!

So you bought the wireless transmitter to add to a small camera?

How did you decide to mount the camera, and get power to it?

I don't have rear windows or a roof rack, but have been fooling with various aluminum bar and flats to make an arm mount the camera on. I would attach the arm to bolt to the holes where the roof rack would attach at the rear. Maybe easier to just use the camera that integrates with the third tail light.

Daytime results are good, and I was quite tickled.

Night time ... just a shot in the dark really, all light pretty much bounces off my aluminum truck box.
Plus the white LEDS may prove an issue with a white light shining towards the rear.

For reversing the trailer at night on private property, I do have an extra idea in the back of my mind, with an extra circuit for two additional trailer lights, private property use only.

Products used:
  • import CarPlay/Android/multi function screen with camera in
  • import $5 backup camera
  • 12v Remote Control vehicle battery (I do have a standalone 12v battery box in my trunk, I intend to use as needed to supply power) to supply power to the camera + the line to display.
  • RCA cable from camera to cabin (still have to route this properly rather than through three doors)

Mounting ...
I have roof rails and bars, but location is not good.
Did not want to tamper with the brake light, though perhaps one could fashion a slim camera bracket akin the one that was linked, install it between the body and brake light. Could be convoluted and a lot of work to get something sturdy and just right.
Magnets ... maybe. Might interfere?
Velcro ... maybe.
Then I was looking at the door & glass ... small black camera, black glass, ... there is a gap between the glass and body, the camera is small and very lightweight.
Position would be a couple inches below the brake light.

I figured I could design a little plastic mounting clip that holds the camera feet, and slips over the glass.

Camera off.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Vehicle

Camera on.

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Automotive lighting

So, custom little mount. Grips the feet of the inexpensive cam very securely. Springy curve over the glass, so it is not floppy. Camera cannot jump off the glass ... it can only slide in place sideways. :)

Attachments

Yes, of course the third brake light would be an ideal / permanent setup. Mine is more of an improvisation on the cheap :) I don't intend to drive with doors open 😅 plus the van may object.

Without the tool box, probably could keep an eye on cargo a bit, with the average utility trailer. Also not having white planks nor white reflectors on the corners probably could help out too. As those shine back into the camera. So, I think my trailer setup - short of having a big white cargo trailer, is a bit of no win situation.

In the case of towing a small trailer + motorcycle. I think the little camera could work fine.

Night view, cam alone.

Plant Entertainment Gadget Audio equipment Automotive design

Cam + reverse

Gadget Computer Air travel Cockpit Display device

Probably can't use the cam model with LED lights while driving ...

A bit of a long exposure the phone took, but you get the idea that it is noticeable, it won't blind anybody, but ...

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Light

I think that I will try to make a little removable cover for the LEDs ... :)

Discussion starter · #30 ·
That's a lot of performance for the price!

I ordered the camera that mounts on the third brake light, and the wireless transmitter. I need to figure out a rear view mirror monitor or stand-alone monitor. I'd prefer a rear view mirror style, but not sure the receiver etc. can all be mounted in a clean way.

Yes, of course the third brake light would be an ideal / permanent setup. Mine is more of an improvisation on the cheap :) I don't intend to drive with doors open 😅 plus the van may object.
Of course. It looks good on the glass like that. I suppose you could have more than one of those things and switch them out. One without LED's or IR...

Of course. It looks good on the glass like that. I suppose you could have more than one of those things and switch them out. One without LED's or IR...
I can't deny the fact, that I had the thought of ordering a second one without the LEDs or with infrareds and just switch between them as needed 😅 ...
Or if I were to find a small 4 input display and rig up a 360 view 4x cameras. Maybe it with a switch, could be 4 with lights and 4 without 🤓 ...

That's a lot of performance for the price!

I ordered the camera that mounts on the third brake light, and the wireless transmitter. I need to figure out a rear view mirror monitor or stand-alone monitor. I'd prefer a rear view mirror style, but not sure the receiver etc. can all be mounted in a clean way.
Poking around on Ebay, there are various small displays & cams in cheap bundles, that should work with different cameras ... as they all look like one RCA line, and 12 power, may just have to modify the plug or splice wires according to which things you want to combine.

Well, ordered a $4 infrared version from AliExpress ... might take a while. We'll see ... $20 gets a person already a basic display and camera.

Hi all,

When my cargo van is full, I sometimes tow a motorcycle on a small, single rail trailer. It's so small I can't see it at all when I'm driving (except in tight turns) or when I back up. I'd like to add a camera to the rear to keep an eye on the trailer while I drive.

I dug around quite a bit on e-trailer but didn't see anything that strikes me as a great solution. (And I think it's not possible to get the built-in backup camera to activate when not in reverse - but I'd love it if that could be done.)

It doesn't need to be a permanent install (although it could be). Wireless would be nice to simplify things, but I've read mixed reviews.

I've never added a camera system to a vehicle, so any input much appreciated!
Pick up a $15- $45 wifi security nanny cam, EBAY Tie it to your cellphone just
stick it on the inside of your back window can double as a camping alarm (color, proximity, night vision)!

Nanny cam without home network, would mean leaving the cam in setup mode, wifi connecting from the phone to it which will mess with data connection for everything else on the phone.

At least in my experience with a few of these things.

One would have to have an vehicle network / hotspot with mobile data.

I would rather leave my phone on its own for navigation, maybe music streaming, etc …

Unless maybe they do bluetooth now? Haven’t looked closely, but anything smart with phone access has required a home network + ip address for me or putting it in setup mode.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.