Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Camera to Monitor Trailer

4K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  icerabbit 
#1 ·
Hi all,

When my cargo van is full, I sometimes tow a motorcycle on a small, single rail trailer. It's so small I can't see it at all when I'm driving (except in tight turns) or when I back up. I'd like to add a camera to the rear to keep an eye on the trailer while I drive.

I dug around quite a bit on e-trailer but didn't see anything that strikes me as a great solution. (And I think it's not possible to get the built-in backup camera to activate when not in reverse - but I'd love it if that could be done.)

It doesn't need to be a permanent install (although it could be). Wireless would be nice to simplify things, but I've read mixed reviews.

I've never added a camera system to a vehicle, so any input much appreciated!

#29 · (Edited)
Yes, of course the third brake light would be an ideal / permanent setup. Mine is more of an improvisation on the cheap :) I don't intend to drive with doors open 😅 plus the van may object.

Without the tool box, probably could keep an eye on cargo a bit, with the average utility trailer. Also not having white planks nor white reflectors on the corners probably could help out too. As those shine back into the camera. So, I think my trailer setup - short of having a big white cargo trailer, is a bit of no win situation.

In the case of towing a small trailer + motorcycle. I think the little camera could work fine.

Night view, cam alone.

Plant Entertainment Gadget Audio equipment Automotive design

Cam + reverse

Gadget Computer Air travel Cockpit Display device

Probably can't use the cam model with LED lights while driving ...

A bit of a long exposure the phone took, but you get the idea that it is noticeable, it won't blind anybody, but ...

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Light

I think that I will try to make a little removable cover for the LEDs ... :)

#30 ·
That's a lot of performance for the price!

I ordered the camera that mounts on the third brake light, and the wireless transmitter. I need to figure out a rear view mirror monitor or stand-alone monitor. I'd prefer a rear view mirror style, but not sure the receiver etc. can all be mounted in a clean way.

#33 ·
Hi all,

When my cargo van is full, I sometimes tow a motorcycle on a small, single rail trailer. It's so small I can't see it at all when I'm driving (except in tight turns) or when I back up. I'd like to add a camera to the rear to keep an eye on the trailer while I drive.

I dug around quite a bit on e-trailer but didn't see anything that strikes me as a great solution. (And I think it's not possible to get the built-in backup camera to activate when not in reverse - but I'd love it if that could be done.)

It doesn't need to be a permanent install (although it could be). Wireless would be nice to simplify things, but I've read mixed reviews.

I've never added a camera system to a vehicle, so any input much appreciated!
Pick up a $15- $45 wifi security nanny cam, EBAY Tie it to your cellphone just
stick it on the inside of your back window can double as a camping alarm (color, proximity, night vision)!

#34 ·
Nanny cam without home network, would mean leaving the cam in setup mode, wifi connecting from the phone to it which will mess with data connection for everything else on the phone.

At least in my experience with a few of these things.

One would have to have an vehicle network / hotspot with mobile data.

I would rather leave my phone on its own for navigation, maybe music streaming, etc …

Unless maybe they do bluetooth now? Haven’t looked closely, but anything smart with phone access has required a home network + ip address for me or putting it in setup mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.