Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

When my cargo van is full, I sometimes tow a motorcycle on a small, single rail trailer. It's so small I can't see it at all when I'm driving (except in tight turns) or when I back up. I'd like to add a camera to the rear to keep an eye on the trailer while I drive.

I dug around quite a bit on e-trailer but didn't see anything that strikes me as a great solution. (And I think it's not possible to get the built-in backup camera to activate when not in reverse - but I'd love it if that could be done.)

It doesn't need to be a permanent install (although it could be). Wireless would be nice to simplify things, but I've read mixed reviews.

I've never added a camera system to a vehicle, so any input much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
I think this is quite common on the RV side.
Try looking for " RV wireless camera to monitor TOAD "

But there maybe other solutions like an aftermarket license plate camera + display ... or dash cam for the rear that you could deploy temporarily?

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
402 Posts
I got a Yakry 2 camera system for our lions float last year to monitor front and back. 7 inch screen (plugs into cigar lighter) can show both at once. It came with a voucher for a 3rd camera which I put on my cargo trailer yesterday. Paired up with no trouble. I connect the cameras to the side (parking ) lights so they're on all the time. Monitor is big so probably not what you want but the wireless concept works very well. There is a slight lag in the image but not enough to be a problem. If you have lights for your trailer you could connect to that wiring. You could even mount the camera on the trailer but that probably won't give you the view you want. Maybe put a stalk on the ball mount?

Wood Automotive tire Gas Bumper Auto part

Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
402 Posts
The cameras are mounted on the trailers, connected to their wiring, the monitor I just mounted on a small piece of plywood that sits on the dash so it can be transferred between tow vehicles. I don't have a camera mounted on the Metris. I use the Metris rear camera for hooking up but then use the camera on the back of the trailer to monitor what's behind when going forward. Powered from the trailer lights, it's on when the parking or headlights are on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah - thank you. You wrote that you put it on your "cargo trailer" and I read it as "cargo van" because that's on my mind! Appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
Do you have glass in the back doors? Roof rails?

Just PS: thinking out loud regarding the idea of mounting.

Inside the glass ... when I have tried to add an emergency light with suction cups on the inside of the cargo door windows, I could not get the things with four suction cups to stick for anyhting but a few minutes. May have somtehing to do with curvature of the glass and defrost wires. I ended up fitting some clear plexi across with panel pins into the factory holes in the door.

Roof bar ... with the fat bit and curvature on the factory rails, any roof bar placemant is too far forward to have a proper view. But I suppose perhaps one could zip tie a pvc pipe parallel to a roof rail to have more of a rear placement. Or maybe even a U shaped improvisation to get it centered over the third stop light.

Maybe magnets ...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess my google skills are weak because I can only find brake light/camera combos for Metris passenger vans, that say they don't work on cargo vans. It looks like the passenger van light is more on the back of van, whereas the cargo van light is closer to the roof of the van.

So, for now, I'm back to figuring out if there is a way to mount a wireless camera and get power to it (that doesn't look like I glued a turd to my cargo van!).

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
I like that unit. Mimics the setup of the add-on for Sprinters.

Just needs a suitable small monitor in the cabin to review the trailer + content while driving.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
Interesting. Didn't know such a thing existed. I agree on the rear view mirror with built-in display being cool.

Upgrading the head unit on the van is not anywhere near a priority. But a small expense for towing and keeping an eye on the trailer and load, can have enough WAF :)

I think I actually may have a camera input on my external Carplay/Android screen ... 🤔

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
936 Posts
Ordered one of those inexpensive small backup cube cameras, that visually looks like something that ought to be compatible ... but perhaps may need a different jack ( remove RCA, add headphone jack). For the price of a cup of coffee. 😅

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all,

When my cargo van is full, I sometimes tow a motorcycle on a small, single rail trailer. It's so small I can't see it at all when I'm driving (except in tight turns) or when I back up. I'd like to add a camera to the rear to keep an eye on the trailer while I drive.

I dug around quite a bit on e-trailer but didn't see anything that strikes me as a great solution. (And I think it's not possible to get the built-in backup camera to activate when not in reverse - but I'd love it if that could be done.)

It doesn't need to be a permanent install (although it could be). Wireless would be nice to simplify things, but I've read mixed reviews.

I've never added a camera system to a vehicle, so any input much appreciated!
Hi, I added a Garmin battery powered wireless cam to my wife's last car. It turns on for a little while when the vehicle starts (I guess the logic figures a lot of folks back up at first), but it is command activated too. Works with newer Garmin GPS receivers. It's designed for a license plate frame, but easily modified.
By the way the factory GPS in my 2016 is terrible, I have a Garmin on the dash, close to my line of vision.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts