Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2017 Metris cargo van. The fan and air conditioning seem to work fine when I start the car. After driving about an hour or so the air coming in through the vents is noticeably less. When I crank up the fan setting, I can hear the increased noise, but the air coming through the vent is miniscule. If I stop the car to have lunch, the airflow is strong again on startup! Seems like if the cabin filter was dirty, there would be very little air even at a new start up? Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts
Welcome to MetrisForum, Imgo.

Just thinking out loud.
Some kind of blower control module going bad, maybe.
Or something with the AC where it freezes up due to prolonged use in extreme heat and humidity, maybe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, When I first got my 2019 passenger Van I was trying to adjust the cooling -temperature manually . I found this explanation on this forum.
It helped me understand the way the heating - cooling work together. Now I set the temperature and leave It
Thanks Ken in Mi

"For clarification purposes, do you have Climatronic or Tempmatic? For simplicity, Climatronic is dual/tri-zone (cargo/passenger) and uses a digital display; Tempmatic is single-zone setting, with passenger models having a switch to deactivate the rear blower and a/c compressor.

Climatronic has automatic modes for fan speed and air distribution, and a push button defrost system (which I suspect is what IMACD has given description). Tempmatic lacks the automatic mode for fan speed and air distribution, and defrost is achieved by a specific set of temperature, fan speed, and position settings.

Both have temperature-sensor-controlled operation of their blend doors unless you put it on the absolute maximum or minimum settings. The result is that if you set Tempmatic to one step over minimum (60F I think) and it is 58 in the cabin, it will blow maximum heat until it is satisfied it is over 60. You can turn it one step to minimum and it will blow icicles at you, either one at whatever position and fan speed you have selected. Getting it to actually blow Luke-warm air at you consistently is impossible unless you set it to vent (a/c off) and minimum on a lukewarm day.

If you have Tempmatic and this sounds like you, the system is working as intended. Since my idea of a nice van on a winter day where I am wearing a heavy sheepskin-outside-and-fur-inside coat is a 40 degree cabin that doesn’t blow ice at my face and (especially) my hands, I’d say it doesn’t work. But it is operating as designed

All this makes me very happy I selected the Climatronic option for my 2020 cargo. I’ve had it since last July and I keep it on full auto with A/C activated with temp set to from 68° to 71° depending on how I feel that day. Outside temps ranging from 90° to -10°. Always feels right."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
S
Hello, When I first got my 2019 passenger Van I was trying to adjust the cooling -temperature manually . I found this explanation on this forum.
It helped me understand the way the heating - cooling work together. Now I set the temperature and leave It
Thanks Ken in Mi

"For clarification purposes, do you have Climatronic or Tempmatic? For simplicity, Climatronic is dual/tri-zone (cargo/passenger) and uses a digital display; Tempmatic is single-zone setting, with passenger models having a switch to deactivate the rear blower and a/c compressor.

Climatronic has automatic modes for fan speed and air distribution, and a push button defrost system (which I suspect is what IMACD has given description). Tempmatic lacks the automatic mode for fan speed and air distribution, and defrost is achieved by a specific set of temperature, fan speed, and position settings.

Both have temperature-sensor-controlled operation of their blend doors unless you put it on the absolute maximum or minimum settings. The result is that if you set Tempmatic to one step over minimum (60F I think) and it is 58 in the cabin, it will blow maximum heat until it is satisfied it is over 60. You can turn it one step to minimum and it will blow icicles at you, either one at whatever position and fan speed you have selected. Getting it to actually blow Luke-warm air at you consistently is impossible unless you set it to vent (a/c off) and minimum on a lukewarm day.

If you have Tempmatic and this sounds like you, the system is working as intended. Since my idea of a nice van on a winter day where I am wearing a heavy sheepskin-outside-and-fur-inside coat is a 40 degree cabin that doesn’t blow ice at my face and (especially) my hands, I’d say it doesn’t work. But it is operating as designed

All this makes me very happy I selected the Climatronic option for my 2020 cargo. I’ve had it since last July and I keep it on full auto with A/C activated with temp set to from 68° to 71° depending on how I feel that day. Outside temps ranging from 90° to -10°. Always feels right.
Thanks Ken in Mi

All this makes me very happy I selected the Climatronic option for my 2020 cargo. I’ve had it since last July and I keep it on full auto with A/C activated with temp set to from 68° to 71° depending on how I feel that day. Outside temps ranging from 90° to -10°. Always feels right."
Mine is the system where you set the temperature on a knob. Then you push a switch to turn on air conditioning. The fan speeds are on a separate knob. The odd thing is that when I turn up the fan speed setting, I can hear an increased noise, but not much air comes out the vent (after I have driven for an hour or so).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts