Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, Metris Forum members!

I've recently turned a 2016 cargo into a camper and just came back to Los Angeles from the three-week long maiden voyage to the Pacific Northwest.

The van/mod performed well, (I'll share the mods in a couple weeks time,) and after the first service I had some problems regarding Cabin air filter location/access, and rear window washer hose routing in the cargo area.

So... The shop manual for the Metris is nowhere to be found, and the local dealer/parts wasn't very helpful due to lack of experience working on Metrises. While waiting for the manual to appear on ebay, I thought I'd post the question here. When I find the answer to it somehow, I'll post it here as well.

Q1. Where is the cabin air filter and how do I access it to replace it? Dealership was charging 80 dollars in Labor and I thought I'd do it myself as I'm used to with my previous cars.
It's most likely not under the cowl where air intake/ wiper motor sits, and I'm assuming it is behing the glove box. Has anyone removed the glove box/navigation mount yet?

Q2. Can anyone describe which route the rear washer hoses on the barndoor models run from/to the washer tank in the front? I've put in some insulation panels while modding the car, and I couldn't remember how it was routed, and would like to avoid having to remove insulation panels unnecessarilly. I found a leak when I used the rear washer, about... Halfway back on the driver's side of the cargo area. I don't remember seeing the washer hose going next to electrical wires but the washer fluid was collected in my camper shower so... It must have dripped from above and seaped through one of the gaps between insulation panels I assume. The dealership's parts diagram didn't show how the hoses reach the nozzles from the reservoire.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The cabin air filter can be chaged from the passenger footwell, no need to remove the glovebox.

If you have the body builder fusebox in the passenger footwell, the cover should be removed to reveal two T-30 torx screws near the center stack that holds the fusebox.

When the fuse box is loose, it can be moved quite freely away from the cabin air filter cover above it which has two plastic turn-to-lock type latches. Undo the latches and the cover comes right off, then pull the filter down and out, new one goes in. The arrow on the filter that marks the direction of the filter, in my Metris, was pointing towards the center of the car. I guess that's the direction of the airflow on the left hand drive cars as in North America.

If you have the T-30 torx bit and a small rachet wrench, it takes no more than 5 minutes to do the whole thing as there's enough clearance once the fuse box is out.

The old filter looked gray-ish overall, my initial thought was that it was carbon particles that gave the filter such color as I only clocked 8300 miles on my Metris, (although most of it was in dry, dusty summer of the Southwest) - but the replacement I got from the dealership was exactly the same part from the same manufacturer (Mahle) and looked plain white so I assume the gray color
Was due to dirt/bacteria growth after all. Quite even gray all over. It had started stinking really bad for the first minute or so when I used A/C, after the car had been abandoned for a couple weeks in a parking lot in July, waiting for an upfitter to put a lockbox and electrical in the van -

As for the washer hose mystery, I might just wait on tackling this until the weather cools off as my rear windows are covered with insulation and I have a full-time rearview camera instead.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I tried searching for Vito cabin filter and found the rear for the w447 but only the front for the w639.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you, can you provide the part umber? Is there two cabin filters in the passenger vans?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Uhm... I bought it from a local dealership and do not remember the parts no. And the filter has been tossed already and the bins emptied. :(

UPDATE : I kept the receipt and it says...
DUST FILTER MBV 4478300100
And it was whopping 34.80 before tax...

Mine is a cargo, so I doubt there are two filters for cabin on mine. Not sure for other trims. (And it doesn't stink anymore so... Any tips on preventing stinky AC? I try to turn off AC a minute or two before I park, but I just don't feel like going all the way and use the heater for the last minute in 100+ degree weather...)

I do look forward to finding a 2017 version of Merc service manual on Ebay, so the parts no. Search and maintenance/mods will become ten folds easier!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I removed the 2 T30 screws holding the fuse box and 3 T20 screws, but I couldn't locate the air filter. All I saw was a plastic thing that allows you to turn 1/8. Can anyone point out what I was missing?

BTW, where's the rear cabin filter?? Any pics?

·
Registered
259 Posts
DUST FILTER MBV 4478300000 is listed as the charcoal one. 0008351500 should be the rear filter. I haven't change it but the rear filter is directly behind the vent in the back, iirc the vent just pops out.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Double check that. The one in my hand is A4478300000 and is the charcoal one. The rear only lists one and that number is it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Who has best price online?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts