Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,736 Posts
The Victron Orion TR DC/DC products can sense a running vehicle (configurable) or also wire to our engine running fuse. You can also wire in a switch or other logic. If you wire it as such you can DC/DC charge from the starter battery without the van running. You can also wire multiple Orions in parallel if you have dissimilar needs or need to exceed what one Orion can output. For example you could have 7a and 30a and charge SLA and Lifepo4.

It's important to keep in mind most of our vans have regen and eco.

The upfitter guide on our vans says to limit additional load to 40a. We know that Mercedes wants us to use the same battery type for the second battery if the system isn't modified to use a DC/DC charger. We can likely assume the system and safety sensors are designed for the 40a headroom noted.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Also interesting. Looks like the good folks at Renogy recognize the challenges associated with smart alternators and have built in capability to allow the house battery charging regardless of starter battery state. Just plug the Renogy smart ignition cable pigtail into the correct ignition fuse socket. Here’s a vid showing how in a different vehicle:
I have used the Renogy DCC30S with a flaw for about a year now. Highly recommended, just know that if you add full time solar, the alternator is limited to 15A. I disconnect my solar while rolling and avoid the issue.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The Victron Orion TR DC/DC products can sense a running vehicle (configurable) or also wire to our engine running fuse. You can also wire in a switch or other logic. If you wire it as such you can DC/DC charge from the starter battery without the van running. You can also wire multiple Orions in parallel if you have dissimilar needs or need to exceed what one Orion can output. For example you could have 7a and 30a and charge SLA and Lifepo4.

It's important to keep in mind most of our vans have regen and eco.

The upfitter guide on our vans says to limit additional load to 40a. We know that Mercedes wants us to use the same battery type for the second battery if the system isn't modified to use a DC/DC charger. We can likely assume the system and safety sensors are designed for the 40a headroom noted.
Interesting. You mean off the starter battery circuit? I had been thinking about upgrading to the Renogy DCC50S now that I have a battery that can accept that charge rate. I draw my power off the factory 95 AH AGM auxiliary battery under the driver's seat. I thought I could sneak 50 amps.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,736 Posts
Interesting. You mean off the starter battery circuit? I had been thinking about upgrading to the Renogy DCC50S now that I have a battery that can accept that charge rate. I draw my power off the factory 95 AH AGM auxiliary battery under the driver's seat. I thought I could sneak 50 amps.
Ok, so MB hasn't exactly specified in great deal how this works. To be as thorough as a can at this time of day on a Saturday... the upfitter guide has gone through some updates for the most recent year and the note as changed. I'll share the current and previous to the current year. For 21 the note says 80a. All previous years it said 40a.

Font Parallel Rectangle Engineering Screenshot

s

Font Material property Parallel Output device Engineering

What that bit says in the two docs above doesn't account for this little fact, but perhaps the difference in load from the passenger vehicle makes it even.

Font Handwriting Screenshot Parallel Number

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts