Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to be a Hankook hater for 22,000 miles, but mine have worn evenly and held up very well. I'm guessing I could have gone 25,000 or so miles, but I am heading out on a multi-week road trip, so I made the plunge on a set of Michelin Defenders. I did not have the factory alignment issues, but I was too lazy to rotate the 'kooks on a 5,000 interval, so the tires had been rotated only once at about 10,000 miles. With proper rotation I think I could have gone closer to 30k.

My initial driving impressions are that the Michelins are quieter and feel stiffer in the sidewall during cornering. The tires are brand new so I have not tried any aggressive braking.

I have never gotten an alignment unless I have tire wear indications to warrant the expense. Here I do not have unusual tire wear, but I am still wondering whether folks think an alignment is worth the cash when tire wear is even.

Reactions: pounce

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
I bought a set of steelies and am about to put the CrossClimate2's on them, but am wavering on just getting the Defenders. Mostly because they have a pretty strong track record.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
With even tire wear and still relatively few miles on the odometer, I would very likely skip the extra work and cost. Of course considering the cost of 4 tires one wants to last as long as possible, ...

With a prior minivan (not MB), probably triple your miles, I had a bad alignment from a specialty shop, severe tire squeal at low speed on the roundabout, shop said it was " well within spec " after the shocks or something else was replaced ... figured it was prudent ... so there was another half a day gone a few days later, to get that corrected and put back the way it was ... don't let a good dead go unpunished!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With even tire wear and still relatively few miles on the odometer, I would very likely skip the extra work and cost. Of course considering the cost of 4 tires one wants to last as long as possible, ...

With a prior minivan (not MB), probably triple your miles, I had a bad alignment from a specialty shop, severe tire squeal at low speed on the roundabout, shop said it was " well within spec " after the shocks or something else was replaced ... figured it was prudent ... so there was another half a day gone a few days later, to get that corrected and put back the way it was ... don't let a good dead go unpunished!
You hit it on the head. I am afraid an alignment could worsen what is currently good. I've managed to avoid bashing into any curbs so far . . . .

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a set of steelies and am about to put the CrossClimate2's on them, but am wavering on just getting the Defenders. Mostly because they have a pretty strong track record.
I was worried the cross-climate tread pattern would wear too quickly here on the central California coast. In other words, no good reason not to get Cross-Climates

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just got the CrossClimate2 few weeks ago with $100 coupon and discount from Costco. The reason is higher speed rating V than Defender. I might be wrong but to me higher speed meaning higher temp so I hope they’ll last longer than Defender even with only 60k miles warranty, Defenders have 80k. I doubt I’ll drive 60k in 5 years, I got around 24k miles on Hancook since 11/2015.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
I ordered the CrossClimate2's from Costco earlier today. To be honest I've been brainwashed to think tires last 15k miles with my suv so 60k seems like a fantasy. I just want them to be comfortable and work well. I got the 17's for cross country trips and alloy unfriendly destinations. I chose the V's also. Worth the 4 extra bucks per tire over the H's. They look a little disco, but after watching the videos on them I want to believe the hype.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I ordered the CrossClimate2's from Costco earlier today. To be honest I've been brainwashed to think tires last 15k miles with my suv so 60k seems like a fantasy. I just want them to be comfortable and work well. I got the 17's for cross country trips and alloy unfriendly destinations. I chose the V's also. Worth the 4 extra bucks per tire over the H's. They look a little disco, but after watching the videos on them I want to believe the hype.
Did you have $100 coupon from Costco? People on the net posting they received the $100 or $50 for purchase of $500 or more Online Only. You can call/chat to ask for it, many got it in the first try. The CSRs have unlimited supplies of coupons so you can try your luck.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
Did you have $100 coupon from Costco? People on the net posting they received the $100 or $50 for purchase of $500 or more Online Only. You can call/chat to ask for it, many got it in the first try. The CSRs have unlimited supplies of coupons so you can try your luck.
My discount was $150.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
My discount was $250:

Standard: Shipping & Handling Included
MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2 225/55R17 101V XL  BSW ALL WEATHER TIRE

MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2 225/55R17 101V XL BSW ALL WEATHER TIRE
Item # ‌1465577‌
$ 183.99
Quantity 4
Tire Installation$ 79.96
CA State Tire Fee$ 7.00
TPMS fee$ 11.96
Shipping & Terms
Subtotal

$ 834.88
Discount on Order

$ 250.00
Shipping & Handling

$ 0.00
Tax

$ 39.57
Total

$ 624.45

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
375 Posts
That’s like buy three get one free!
Great deal.

I might be a Cosco member again by the time I need new tires :LOL: ( closest one is 3hrs, so “stuck” with sams )

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've tried to be a Hankook hater for 22,000 miles, but mine have worn evenly and held up very well. I'm guessing I could have gone 25,000 or so miles, but I am heading out on a multi-week road trip, so I made the plunge on a set of Michelin Defenders. I did not have the factory alignment issues, but I was too lazy to rotate the 'kooks on a 5,000 interval, so the tires had been rotated only once at about 10,000 miles. With proper rotation I think I could have gone closer to 30k.

My initial driving impressions are that the Michelins are quieter and feel stiffer in the sidewall during cornering. The tires are brand new so I have not tried any aggressive braking.

I have never gotten an alignment unless I have tire wear indications to warrant the expense. Here I do not have unusual tire wear, but I am still wondering whether folks think an alignment is worth the cash when tire wear is even.
I changed the original Continentals to Michelin Defenders. Big improvement. I don't align the steering unless there is non-uniform wear. I do rotate at 10k miles or less.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I changed the original Continentals to Michelin Defenders. Big improvement. I don't align the steering unless there is non-uniform wear. I do rotate at 10k miles or less.
Very helpful, thanks -- I thought the Conti's were better than the 'kooks?

The Defenders included Costco 6,000 mile rotations, saving my aging knees and knuckles from the task I intentionally avoided all but once in 22,000 miles of Hankook ownership. I wanted the Hankooks to wear out as soon as possible for no real reason, other than the absolute cognitive dissonance I experienced seeing Korea Tire Company tires on a Spanish van sold by Germans and assembled in South Carolina. I'm not sure the Michelin's fix that, but what the heck.

Back to Costco, I also love the ridiculously good 70k tread life warranty. In practice that warranty is just a metric for the prorated road hazard warranty, which has gotten me at least half a dozen new tires from Costco at heavy discounts (over maybe 25 years). That's one way to keep a customer. Their shop is also meticulously clean, with tight adherence to every safety and mechanical procedure I can recognize from my spot outside the bay. That's what you get for paying people a living wage. But I digress.

Back on topic, when to get an alignment? Don't mess with it once you get it right, unless you mess it up later.

·
Registered
16 Posts

For me (2016 cargo), the Hankooks were totally wasted at 20k, made alot of noise and I did hate them. Whoever it was on here that recommended Michelin Defenders to me, I can't thank them enough!! I'm at 50k now and they are still quite serviceable. Not sure how much more I'll get with them, but I can't recommend them highly enough. I load it with a motorcycle and a full load (to the roof) of misc. when I travel to Florida every fall and return in the spring with the same load to northern Ohio. They perform well loaded and empty and are not the least bit noisy.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
I got my tires mounted yesterday. Good ride. Quiet. Was rainy heavy and they did well. One of my new tpms units was dead so I need to replace it. Need to figure out how to get the van to recognize the new ones. Still have the old ones in the back so haven't bothered looking.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got my tires mounted yesterday. Good ride. Quiet. Was rainy heavy and they did well. One of my new tpms units was dead so I need to replace it. Need to figure out how to get the van to recognize the new ones. Still have the old ones in the back so haven't bothered looking.
pounce, you reminded me. The left rear TPMS on my van has been 2 psi off since I got it. Reported to dealer twice, no action, I figured, OK. Costco tire service to install new Defenders -- all 4 TPMS are reading spot on. Is there some kind of reset when they bust a tire? I did the dashboard reset after I got the tires, but that never corrected the 2 psi error before.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
952 Posts
I bought the tpms sensors from tirerack. My left rear didn't read with their tpms machine. They probably calibrated it for you. Looks like a fancy machine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts