Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Broken interior right-handed grab bar parts?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  icerabbit 
#1 ·
Hi there, our grab bar above our front passenger side seat somehow detached and when my friend attempted to put it back together she lost one of the metal brackets inside the headliner.
Any ideas on how to retrieve this bracket from the headliner or where to get a new one? I found parts diagrams that include a discontinued or out os stock grab bar but no brackets for connecting it to the headliner. I’m also hesitant to mess with our liner too much since we have a Sportsmobile pop top and the liner is kind of funky.
Thank you!
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Water Grille
Hood Automotive design Asphalt Motor vehicle Grey

See less See more
#2 ·
You can very easily pull the black rubber out around where the headliner meets the poptop. You can then fish about and if you are luck it will be right about where it was...

I was poking around on Aliexpress and saw for some models of MB there are replacements for these handles that convert them to enclosed holders for sunglasses. I thought that was clever.

#4 · (Edited)
[edited]
It could be one of two parts bit hard to tell ...
I was thinking 15, but maybe 16.

What other parts do you have in hand, and what are you missing?

Font Rectangle Circle Electric blue Magenta

Rectangle Material property Font Circle Parallel

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Does the photo part match this:

Then it is the cheap thing.

#5 ·
Looking at your photos it looks like the other clip is still stuck in the hole…that is if the one you have displayed on the dash is the other one. I don’t think that clip would be acrobatic enough to crawl underneath the headliner. use a set of needle nose pliers to help remove it (or use two sets, I used one hand and pliers). If you do use only your fingers and loose grip I suppose it could be pressed inward by mistake through the hole into the headliner.

#6 · (Edited)
The "grip handle retainer" is the plastic wedge ("spreader wedge") that holds the metal clip in place. I went through several of these when removing and reinstalling my headliner.

I am not positive the clip is available separately from the $22 grab handle. I know I replaced the clip and/or handle. I can't find the clip separately in my parts book. It might be this 0089880978

Reactions: DStreet
#9 ·
Cool.

It sometimes is a bit of a puzzle. Not all sites have the same imagery. Not all sections have a detailed enough view. And we can't always find everything. Plus in a couple cases nobody seems to know, but hey it is on the van - like the little shield near the brake line on the axle or something, I think on Focus' van.

Hopefully one of the parts places has the clips ready to ship. It looks like a small and common part, not something exclusive to that handle, so 🤞

By the way: welcome to MetrisForum :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.