Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Metris with raised roof Explorer Van conversion. I really like the van but the volumes of break dust have to go. Roof can't fit into car washes and weekly mobile detailing / $ is as oppressive as the dust. I would ask Daimler AG but I all ready know what Dieter and the other MB enthusiasts will say. Would appreciate some real world advice on break pads.

·
Registered
210 Posts
2020 Metris with raised roof Explorer Van conversion. I really like the van but the volumes of break dust have to go. Roof can't fit into car washes and weekly mobile detailing / $ is as oppressive as the dust. I would ask Daimler AG but I all ready know what Dieter and the other MB enthusiasts will say. Would appreciate some real world advice on break pads.
Hit the wheels with a pressure washer every week or two. Water alone will keep them looking decent for a long time between proper washes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Squid, it's a normal thing for Euro brakes. It's just the way it is. You can get the cheap heavy metalic material pads that don't dust much, but they are loud and wear the rotors faster. I'm also a BMW driver and I think they dust worst. Lol. But I will say these are great brakes. I hauled a 4000 pound camper for a while WO trailer brakes and was very impressed how well the metris stopped.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
574 Posts
I have to say, I have never washed my wheels so much as in the past three months, since getting my Metris. There is a surprising amount of brake dust.
Worst of any other car and MB, really. The pressure washer on low isn’t quite getting it off ... and it is actually pretty tight around the brake assembly. The same style on an ML & GLE but two sizes up (19”) hardly get dusty and are far easier to clean.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I use this stuff from Armorall and it works really well to prevent brake pad dust from sticking to the wheel. Pretty much solves the issue.

"Easy to build up and difficult to wash off, brake dust has been the bane of beautiful, shiny wheels since the invention of disc brakes. Simply spray Outlast™ Brake Dust Repellent on clean, dry wheels to repel brake dust, road grime, and dirt. The invisible barrier lasts up to four weeks, keeping your wheels clean from wash to wash."

Reactions: RocketVan

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can buy dustless brake pads. I used to have some Akebono ceramic pads on my Audi Avant and CLS55 and never had to wash the wheels ever again.. for reals! They also changed the brake feel in a positive way Akebono EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pads
I didn't see a fitment for the Akebonos on our van so I was going to reach out and see if our brakes were identical to another mercedes model. Let us know if you find something first, I believe there are a few other manufacturers that make dustless brakes as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can buy dustless brake pads. I used to have some Akebono ceramic pads on my Audi Avant and CLS55 and never had to wash the wheels ever again.. for reals! They also changed the brake feel in a positive way Akebono EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pads
I didn't see a fitment for the Akebonos on our van so I was going to reach out and see if our brakes were identical to another mercedes model. Let us know if you find something first, I believe there are a few other manufacturers that make dustless brakes as well.
Just did a quick search and found Disc Italia pads mentioned on a GLC Finally Dust-Free Brake Pads for my GLC43 - MBWorld.org Forums
I might try these out if I don't hear back from Akebono corporate.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
You can buy dust free brake pads. You can haul the Metris down from 101mph with surprising efficacy. You can’t do both.

The brakes pads used by MB and some other European Marques are designed to maximize stopping power- particularly from high speeds- at the expense of both life and brake dust. That’s not me being an MB fan boy; that is simply a relevant fact. You can solve the brake dust problem by switching to longer life, less dusty pads- but you will pay a substantial price for it in braking performance. That is up to you.

Some additional advice: the Metris has, by far, the best performance, high speed stability, and handling of any Van on the American market. That, and it’s safety performance, are why you should buy a Metris over a short-wheelbase, low roof Ford Transit 150. If you are not using that performance, such that sacrificing Braking capability for other things is actually something you would consider, I suggest you trade in your van on a Transit. You are paying a huge premium in servicing costs and maintenance headaches for something you aren’t actually using.

Thats not being a fan boy; that’s honest, straightforward advice.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have to say, I have never washed my wheels so much as in the past three months, since getting my Metris. There is a surprising amount of brake dust.
Worst of any other car and MB, really. The pressure washer on low isn’t quite getting it off ... and it is actually pretty tight around the brake assembly. The same style on an ML & GLE but two sizes up (19”) hardly get dusty and are far easier to clean.
Definitely the worst with the exception of my Lotus Esprit . Would not recommend ceramics; these are heavy vehicles and need all the braking power they can get. Might try that Armorall product though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can buy dust free brake pads. You can haul the Metris down from 101mph with surprising efficacy. You can’t do both.

The brakes pads used by MB and some other European Marques are designed to maximize stopping power- particularly from high speeds- at the expense of both life and brake dust. That’s not me being an MB fan boy; that is simply a relevant fact. You can solve the brake dust problem by switching to longer life, less dusty pads- but you will pay a substantial price for it in braking performance. That is up to you.

Some additional advice: the Metris has, by far, the best performance, high speed stability, and handling of any Van on the American market. That, and it’s safety performance, are why you should buy a Metris over a short-wheelbase, low roof Ford Transit 150. If you are not using that performance, such that sacrificing Braking capability for other things is actually something you would
Ain't dementia a bitch! I've got to learn to proof read. Tnaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some additional advice: the Metris has, by far, the best performance, high speed stability, and handling of any Van on the American market. That, and it’s safety performance, are why you should buy a Metris over a short-wheelbase, low roof Ford Transit 150. If you are not using that performance, such that sacrificing Braking capability for other things is actually something you would consider, I suggest you trade in your van on a Transit. You are paying a huge premium in servicing costs and maintenance headaches for something you aren’t actually using.

Your enthusiasm is well founded. I have owned five different Benz and have loved every one. However, they are not perfect contrary to Daimler AIG's lofty opinion of themselves. As to why to buy a Metris. It is the only mid-sized van with a full frame. I stopped racing long ago so high speed stability and breaking from just under the speed of sound are not major concerns. I also own a Ford Transit Connect. It serves a different purpose and is more fun to drive around town and on short trips.Reminds me of my first MGA in 1960.

Your enthusiasm is well founded. I have owned five different Benz and loved every one. Contrary to Daimler AIG's lofty opinion of it's self they are not perfect. As to why Metris. It is the only mid sized van with a full frame. No longer racing so high speed stability and breaking from just under the speed of sound are not the main criteria. I also own a Ford Transit Connect which I love as much as the Metris and the Ford is more fun to drive around town and on short trips. Reminds me of my MGA in 1960.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Another vote for using Armor All Outlast Brake Dust Repellent, I have been using it for about 10 years. It is like night and day. I go months without washing my wheels on my BMW’s where I use to have to wash my wheels once a week.

The one thing that really helps is when the wheels are brand new, pull them off to polish, seal, and carnauba wax inside and out. Follow up with Armor All Outlast Brake Dust Repellent.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
574 Posts
Thank you for the recommendation on the ArmorAll Brake Dust Repellent.

Just received the Car Guys Wheel Cleaner and a can of the above.

Now for some sunny weather above freezing ... 🥶

1 - 20 of 21 Posts