Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see when some of you got your Brakes done and the cost. I have a 2018 Metris Cargo with 38K miles. I use it for my Cargo shipping business. At times I do carry max load of 2,500 Lbs but not a lot. I also never brake hard during normal use for wear and tear and of course cost reasons.

Also, how long can I use the original rotors (re-surfaced as long as possible) before being needed to be replaced?

·
Registered
401 Posts
MB rotors should not be resurfaced. Thats a domestic car thing.

If carrying heavy loads and doing a lot of city driving I imagine about 35-45k is all you'll get out of a set of pads and rotors.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
My rotors were not “resurfaced” however my rear rotors lasted 90k miles with pad changes every 30k. My front rotors and pads lasted 45k miles the first time; at 90k miles the pads were changed but the rotors were found to be in spec and were not.

All of this was done by a Mercedes dealerships service department, so I’m not talking about shade tree people or my own cheap self making a bad choice.

Word of warning: the front pads have wear sensors and the car will tell you when they are worn out- mine were not technically worn out at 45k but the dealer told me 12% life and I told them to go ahead because my time is worth more than going to the nub and the van was already in for service and I had a loaner.

The rear pads do NOT have a wear sensor (god knows why) so check them frequently until you figure out what your driving habits produce in terms of average life.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My rears were done at 35k and fronts at 42k on my passenger van. Rotors and pads at the same time since both were worn. ~50 a rotor and 50-75 pads each end MB branded is certainly more. Fronts are shared with the sprinter 2500 so they are readily available.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Looks like parts to do the whole job using factory original/MB parts from online is only about $243. Not bad!

Just did the brakes on my brother's 2009 E350 with sport package and it was nearly double that. It has enormous rotors and calipers/pads. Bigger than the Metris does.
It will also relocate your organs from back to front of your body if you stomp the brakes.....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just pad slap the first set and do the rotors the second time around. Even a shade tree mechanic can do that. Just not as well as a Mercedes tech. Ask GML!! lol

·
Registered
946 Posts
Can confirm, much better than a shadetree. Our shop has AC (Although not so great...)

·
Registered
401 Posts
My shadetree shop at home has such strong AC I can keep the door open and it stays cool on a 90 degree day. Sometimes its worth it, like when installing a hitch on your metris in the driveway, you can blow that cold air right out at the work space!

Hitch install went good, just need the computer coded in now.

Attachments

Reactions: focus805

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I am not questioning that some shade tree mechanics are competent. Some are very good, and possibly working in the wrong industry. The thing about them is they are highly variable, and resultantly you can not assume that just because Joe Schmo does his own maintenance on his cars, he knows what he is doing.

Watching my penily deficient neighbor do a brake job on his brodozer Ram makes me terrified whenever I see a truck that looks like his behind me. So if a shade tree or DIYer tells you that you can change pads without touching the rotors on your Metris I would take that with at least some salt. If your money-grubbing, do the world by the book, rich-people-with-platinum-Amex oriented dealer tells you that you can economize by changing pads without rotors, I think you can take that to the bank.

That’s all I was implying there.

If your dealer said you can’t do that, I would not Necessarily assume it to be true with the same confidence.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My shadetree shop at home has such strong AC I can keep the door open and it stays cool on a 90 degree day. Sometimes its worth it, like when installing a hitch on your metris in the driveway, you can blow that cold air right out at the work space!

Hitch install went good, just need the computer coded in now.
PAWO07,
I installed a trailer hitch, the help of the local shop for an extra hand, and did the wiring. I took it to the Mercedes shop for the computer upgrade, and they said it wasn’t available?!! What do you think is up with that?
Bill Zee

·
Registered
401 Posts
Was it an MB van dealer? A normal MB dealer who does not support/sell vans cannot work on it.

When you say you did the wiring, does that mean you installed the trailer version wire harness and the official MB control module?

I just did all this and had the local dealer code it in for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts