Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Owner of 2016 Metris here. After almost 20 years of VW Eurovan ownership, I just purchased a Metris passenger van. I know I'll miss the old Eurovan but I'm excited about the Metris and its modern civilities. It seems to me that my Metris takes much more brake pedal effort than I would expect based on my Eurovan based on with weight and configuration. Has anyone else noted anything unique about the Metris brakes?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mine are "grabby," meaning I have to be very conscious to brake gradually or they grab unexpectedly.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Mine are linear, not progressive like most cars. You need to stomp hard for a panic stop... unless you have collision prevention assist, which will do that for you once you touch it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
New Owner of 2016 Metris here. Has anyone else noted anything unique about the Metris brakes?
I picked up a used 2016 cargo, Benz Dealer did complete new brakes/rotors. Pedal has a solid predictable feel, and zero pull even with no hands on the wheel at all speeds. Can feel the pads grinding slightly against the rotors, at really slow speed, (guessing semi-metalic). One thing I notice, that is different from any other power brakes I've driven, when coming to a stop and letting up a bit on pedal to smooth out nose dive, it takes a bit more foot pressure to keep it from rolling ahead. Caught me off guard a few times, and was creeping forward unexpectedly. Quickly got used to keeping more firm pressure at stop lights.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I picked up a lightly used 2017 so I have no reference for what would be considered normal but I would call the brakes rather soft for all wheel disc; not a lot of initial grab then a lot of increase towards the end of the stop as the power assist does it's thing. I am going to mention it when I bring it in for the fuel line recall. When I start it up and sit at idle I can pump up the brake pad then it slowly drops down; I'm thinking master cylinder problem.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I picked up a lightly used 2017 so I have no reference for what would be considered normal but I would call the brakes rather soft for all wheel disc; not a lot of initial grab then a lot of increase towards the end of the stop as the power assist does it's thing. I am going to mention it when I bring it in for the fuel line recall. When I start it up and sit at idle I can pump up the brake pad then it slowly drops down; I'm thinking master cylinder problem.
Ditto

Reactions: Metris?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine are linear, not progressive like most cars. You need to stomp hard for a panic stop... unless you have collision prevention assist, which will do that for you once you touch it.
Nice thing about the Metris is "it does stop" very quickly, "I was surprised". My old Ford? Forget about it. Just change lanes and hope nobody's there!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 Metris cargo van, converted to a pop top camper. Purchased new. I don't drive it every day, and every time I do drive it, it takes some getting used to how "progressive" the brakes are compared to the other cars I drive on a regular basis. Braking power comes on very gradually at the beginning of the pedal travel, and ramps up quite predictably as I apply more pressure. It's not a "problem," it's just "different." But I can also tell you, from personal experience, that in a panic braking situation, this van REALLY STOPS!

·
Registered
94 Posts
This brings up something I've been curious about.

Some of the MB literature about the collision prevention assist talks about the vehicle actually assisting in the braking in a situation where the sensors/computer predict a collision. It's not clear to me that the Metris actually does this or if it merely beeps at you. At this price point, I have to think it merely beeps.

There is also talk about the van adjusting the braking on a per wheel basis to maintain control of the vehicle (ABS/wind stability/collision prevention assist). I'm not up on modern ABS or proprietary braking systems but I think that this implies that the vehicle has independent master cylinders for each wheel? Again, does the lowly Metris (cheapest Benz around) have a system this advanced?

·
Registered
20 Posts
A brake related question . I have a 2016 Metris with 45,000 miles on it. I started to get a brake rotor where squeal, from the right rear tire. Interesting enough the front brake shoes still have plenty of brake pad left. I never owned a car where the rear pads wore out earlier than the front ones? Any ideas, a mechanic I spoke to said sometimes they put less pad on the rears to compensate for the fact that they wear out more slowly. Same mechanic recommended I use Textar brake pads, as they were OEM. It took a while to find them online but did for about 45$ ,much less than the 105$ quoted at the dealer. I am waiting a bit to order them. The rotors seem fine should I have them ground anyway?
Bill Z.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The collision prevention assist system actively intervenes after you press the brake pedal. It pre-charges the brakes and measures how much is necessary to bring the vehicle to a stop and brings it to the slowest stop possible without creating a collision. When you touch the pedal it immediately deploys that amount of force, or full braking force to avoid or minimize the collision while giving somebody behind you the most time possible to react. That is the system on the Metris; I have experienced it working- it physically pulls the pedal towards the floor.

The various distribution systems are controlled by the electronic brake force distribution system that replaced the failed Sensotronic brake by wire system. I do not know exactly how that mechanically works. In addition to those features it also has electronic brake wipe- In the rain the system will periodically touch the brake pad to the rotor in order to remove excess moisture.

If you think this contributes to shorter brake life you are most likely correct, as does the active braking feature of the cruise control. Safety over low maintenance cost is a MB hallmark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts