Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '16 cargo with 12K miles (I don't have far to go). About a month ago it developed a squeal from the front brakes when going along at 30mph and less. When I applied the brakes the noise went away. Noise is not continuous or always there. Some mornings nothing, afternoon bad. Then the other way around. Thinking it might be the dust, I pressure washed the rotor/caliper. Quiet for a couple of days then it came back. Sometimes a little squeak when turning or as the road shifts. Seems to be only the front, as the noise remains when I apply the parking brake.

Any ideas? The next step is to remove the wheels and deep clean the rotor and caliper, but I wanted to see if anyone else has solved a similar problem.

And since y'all like pictures...

·
Registered
305 Posts
How's the pedal feel? Is it pulsating when breaks applied indicating a warped rotor? If so get a dial indicator and measure runout. If not remove pad a re-apply break grease to all metal to metal contact points. Mine original breaks squeaked here and there. The ones I DIY'd haven't made a peep once.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Mine have been doing the same thing for the past few weeks. Quite a loud high pitched singing. Heads turn as I drive by. Very light brake pressure stops it. Comes and goes but mainly when driving straight at most speeds. I live on a gravel road so I assumed I picked up a bit of grit. (had that happen before). At least it keeps the deer away.

Let us know if you were able to cure it!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Try blasting out the brakes at the carwash....might help a bit.

Mine have a quiet "eeeee" when I come to a real slow stop at like 2-5mph...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Brake squeal

Hi
I had the same problem, I took the wheel off and noticed that the rotors had a ridge around the outside, so I ground it down ,both sides, and the sound went away !
Bill

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi
I had the same problem, I took the wheel off and noticed that the rotors had a ridge around the outside, so I ground it down ,both sides, and the sound went away !
Bill
Yep I have had this happen on a different vehicle, not the Metris so far. If the outer lip is real large then the rotors are likely due for replacement.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
So when I got home yesterday, I could hear my back rotors "ticking" when I got out. They smelled a bit hot and I managed to burn my finger. Fronts were cool.
Tonight I drove home without using the brakes (aah, country life and paddle shifters) coasted to a stop and they were definitely overheating. Fronts cold. Called MB London and they booked me for 8am tomorrow so we'll see what happens. (They're pretty close and the brakes worked fine when I tested them.)
Maybe the squealing did mean something?

·
Registered
401 Posts
So when I got home yesterday, I could hear my back rotors "ticking" when I got out. They smelled a bit hot and I managed to burn my finger. Fronts were cool.
Tonight I drove home without using the brakes (aah, country life and paddle shifters) coasted to a stop and they were definitely overheating. Fronts cold. Called MB London and they booked me for 8am tomorrow so we'll see what happens. (They're pretty close and the brakes worked fine when I tested them.)
Maybe the squealing did mean something?
Both rear rotors? or just one? Could be dragging calipers or malfunctioning master cylinder....

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Rear pads were seized in the carrier due to rust build up (just the inside ones I think, something about the bolts). Not covered by warranty.
I asked how to avoid the problem.
- Have them inspected regularly.
I said how could I know, there's nothing in the manual about having to do that.
- As I lived on a dirt (gravel) road, I should.
I said their ads show the Metris in unpaved construction sites.
- They'll look into it.
They were all quite pleasant and agreed that it was not normal.

I don't know about dirt causing the problem. Corrosion is usually blamed on salt, and up here, salt is usually only on the paved roads. Mine just gets plowed down to the gravel. However, I suppose if the mud sits in the carrier, it could hold the moisture there and promote corrosion. Still not sure how to avoid it. Never happened to any other cars I had.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Oh yes, Why are there different rotors for steel and alum wheels? Is that related to corrosion like the aluminum bolts for other applications?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About a week ago I finally got around to working on the brakes. Removed the wheels, squeezed the calipers, popped the pads free and applied grease between the pad and carrier or face of piston. Caliper movement was smooth and free. Squeal stopped but in the last couple of days it shows up every now and then with lateral movement, turns, swerves in the road. I haven't taken it in since the problem is not so much an issue anymore but I didn't take the time to do a thorough pressure wash which I will do next time I get the wheels off to reapply more grease.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Glad to hear yours are functioning properly. How many miles on them? Do you travel unpaved roads? Do you think pressure washing and applying the grease is necessary?
I'm not adverse to servicing the brakes to avoid the cost ($640 CAN) of replacing them after 25k (40k km) of mostly highway driving, but,
A. should everyone be doing this?
B. why isn't it a preventative maintenance recommendation?
C. why is there a warranty against body rust but not brake rust? (the problem wasn't due to normal wear)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rear pads were seized in the carrier due to rust build up (just the inside ones I think, something about the bolts). Not covered by warranty.
I asked how to avoid the problem.
- Have them inspected regularly.
I said how could I know, there's nothing in the manual about having to do that.
- As I lived on a dirt (gravel) road, I should.
I said their ads show the Metris in unpaved construction sites.
- They'll look into it.
They were all quite pleasant and agreed that it was not normal.

I don't know about dirt causing the problem. Corrosion is usually blamed on salt, and up here, salt is usually only on the paved roads. Mine just gets plowed down to the gravel. However, I suppose if the mud sits in the carrier, it could hold the moisture there and promote corrosion. Still not sure how to avoid it. Never happened to any other cars I had.
I have seen this issue on vehicles exposed to salt environment that sat for a period of time and they seized up like you described. Did you van sit for a while before this issue?

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Usually no more than two or three days at a time. I live in the country and use it daily most of the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Noise is again getting a little worse every day. My Red Ride has little more than 12K, around the neighborhood mostly, no dusty roads, five days a week. Rust did not seem excessive and didn't cause problems with caliper movement. I was thinking the problem correlates with low, slow mileage. Brakes work great and I do get out on the highway for a couple of miles most days. I need to talk with the service guy again.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Loaded up with about 700kg of canned goods for a food bank transfer (~50 mile round trip). According to the trip info, my gas mileage has improved about 25% since the brake repairs.
The bad news is that since then, the air conditioning has been intermittent and now apparently it's in default mode, i.e., full heat at low fan on defrost and dash vents. Stays blowing even after the key is removed. Thought it might be a fuse. They took me in right away but after 4 hours are still completely at a loss. I'm sure they'll get there.
I now have a 135 loaner.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Stopped at the dealers yesterday to retrieve my phone and sunglasses from the Metris. Steering wheel off, dashboard completely removed, wires everywhere. Glad I didn't waste time trying to see what was wrong. I'll get my old ford van ready for the dog show next weekend. Not as convenient, but I'm glad I hung on to it.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Got the Metris back last Friday (just over two weeks). All fixed and running well. No more hot air in the face. No charge. Service adviser said they eventually found a corroded wire.Today I found this in the boot tray.

Looks like the corrosion thinned the wire to the point where it became a fuse.
Did someone use acid core solder?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts