Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Brake job at dealership ridiculously priced!

12K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  stiksandstones 
#1 ·
So we recently bought a 2016 Metris and had some other issues that were covered under the warranty that came from the dealership we bought the van at. We took it in and they just got back to me that there were a lot of other things that need to be done such as transmission service and spark plugs since it is a turbo and never been done which they are quoting as ~$2700. Also they are saying the rear and front brakes are both ~1mm or less so no good and need to be replace and quoting ~$1200 for front and $1000 for rear. Also the warranty issue for the AC not working is ~$1200 as well.

I'm pretty sure the AC issue will be covered under the warranty and understand that there is a high cost with owning a Mercedes, but come on!! These prices are ridiculous. I know we probably need to do a lot of the things they recommend since we want to make it last for a while, but any thoughts on pricing and whether I should just tell them to get a life? Seems like the previous owner didn't do much upkeep but I have the carfax at home I'm wanting to look at more.

He was basically saying that the brakes are unsafe and probably shouldn't be driven out of the dealership until getting fixed.

2016 Metris Turbo charged
32k miles

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Spark plugs at 32K is an outright lie and money grab. Be a responsible owner. Look at your manual. Show the dealer where it says spark plugs aren't until 60K (or whatever, I don't have my manual in front of me).

Based on just that item alone, take your business to another dealer. That one is the type that smears the entire industry.

He was basically saying that the brakes are unsafe and probably shouldn't be driven out of the dealership until getting fixed.
Another typical scare tactic used by dealers (but most often the quick-fix places like jiffy lube). At 32k miles, that van would have had to have been driven hard to get the brakes that low. Yes, of course it's possible (before I get jumped on.) DUHHHH!!!! But, it's not normal, so another red flag to be suspicious.

Get the warranty work done where the dealer tries to scam Mercedes Corp. Do all other work elsewhere.

#3 ·
My thoughts exactly. I talked to the dealership I bought it from since they were very good in the transaction and they said that their inspection showed 4 mm left on the brakes so doubt we wore them down 3 mm in 1 month. I figured they are just trying to make money but wanted to get some other opinions.
Also, I can’t find in the manual (pdf version I keep on my phone) where it actually calls out the service recommendations and don’t have access to the maintenance records in the glove box since it’s at the dealership. Anyone know the actual schedule for transmission service and spark plugs?
They said it needs a B service

#4 ·
Also we had a warranty from the dealership we bought it with and had to make a claim since the rear Ac was no longer working. Apparently it is about $1200 to fix the blower motor and regulator. The warranty is going to cover the blower motor and labor which is $325 and the rest we have to pay. That sounds ridiculous to me that the warranty won’t cover it but also sounds high also. Wondering if the price seems right or not and whether I could get the regulator done somewhere else. Just a thought.

#7 ·
All brake jobs feel overpriced if you've ever wrenched yourself. Anything over $500 for just pads is borderline criminal. 30k is not unreasonable if the vehicle was driven like a car. Don't skimp on the tranny. $2,700 for plugs and trans change is FUBAR.

#11 ·
Wow....these dealers are bleeding people dry! I had the same transmission service done on my GLK250 (also a 722.9 trans like the metris) and it was $440 out the door. Next time I'll do it myself but I didn't have time for that last time. Parts/fluids alone are over $200 for the service...and around 2-3 hrs labor.

The post above where they mentioned $1200 front and $1000 rear for brakes is absurd. You could do ALL the brakes on the whole van for less than ~$450 in parts!

A dealer tech with the van on a lift and all wheels removed should be able to do the entire brake job in less than 2 hours.

#14 ·
So I just wanted to update everyone. I was able to get the van back from the dealership without having to pay them anything luckily. They gave me all the quotes that were put together for brakes, transmission and spark plug service, etc and it was over $6k!

I found a great mechanic for Mercedes in the area and they did all four axles for $600 and some change and called the warranty company on the AC and said they are covering the entire thing and I only have to pay the $50 deductible. The mechanic said the warranty company doesn’t even have any record of anyone calling or beginning a claim for our van so I don’t even think the agent we had at the dealership even called. He was just trying to get as much money from us as possible and charge us for anything extra he could find including a warranty claim that is covered. Also the mechanic we are going to now said everything else on the van looks great and none of the other stuff needs to be done and when it is needed it won’t cost anywhere near what the dealership quoted.

#22 ·
I ended up doing the pads and rotors, found quite a few metris, vito, v class brake job videos (vs spark plug videos which there is ONE on youtube haha), did the whole job a few saturdays ago, with Original Mercedes parts from AZautohaus.
Was pretty straight forward job, saved a lot of dough and my wife and I did a great job, braking is super nice again. I probably didn't need to replace the rotors, but, for the extra 200 bucks or whatever it was, I am glad I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.