Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the seat rails in my 2016 passenger van and am not sure what size/type of bolt is used to hold them to the floor. It seems that a T-40 torx is engaging with the bolt just fine but I can't seem to get one to start backing out. I'm not sure if I'm being too timid or I need some speciality Mercedes driver. Has anyone else tried removing the seat rails with success?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have done that. but I'm not that handy, will ask mechanician when I next visit.
there is a torex like bit called a triple sqaure that it could be. It is a 12 point bit. The seat bolts on my porsche was triple square. Search amazon for 'nieko triple square' and look at the first match, it doesnt go up to T40 but it gives you an idea of the shape/spacing

·
Registered
81 Posts
Despite the shape of the bolt heads, for the swivel installation in my 2016 cargo a standard 10mm socket removed the rail bolts without a problem .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seat Rail problem solved

I was able to remove the seat rail bolts with a Torx T-45 driver and a heat gun. I did actually get some of the bolts out with a T-40 but the T-45 was the correct size. Putting the heat gun above the bolt for about 20-30 seconds seemed to be the right amount to soften whatever loc-tite product used to keep them from vibrating loose.
I was then able to remove the carpet and padding in one piece and now have a clean floor surface to begin my build. I am getting a Scopema RIB 3P seat to go with the SCA pop-top roof that TouRig just installed.
I now have a growing collection of parts that I cannot use and probably cannot sell (roof rails, floor and floor rails, 3 person seat, and 2 person seat). I really hope for the future MB will come around and just sell the Vito and Marco Polo's and save everyone so much hassle and expense.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was able to remove the seat rail bolts with a Torx T-45 driver and a heat gun. I did actually get some of the bolts out with a T-40 but the T-45 was the correct size. Putting the heat gun above the bolt for about 20-30 seconds seemed to be the right amount to soften whatever loc-tite product used to keep them from vibrating loose.
I was then able to remove the carpet and padding in one piece and now have a clean floor surface to begin my build. I am getting a Scopema RIB 3P seat to go with the SCA pop-top roof that TouRig just installed.
I now have a growing collection of parts that I cannot use and probably cannot sell (roof rails, floor and floor rails, 3 person seat, and 2 person seat). I really hope for the future MB will come around and just sell the Vito and Marco Polo's and save everyone so much hassle and expense.
I would be interested in seeing photos of your build if you decide to share them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
6 point or 12 point socket?
Either 6 or 12 point works. For those with legacy tools a 3/8" socket would also probably work. From my experience t-socket headed bolts have an equivalent conventional socket alternative that usually works well. I had no trouble taking out the rail T-bolts with a 10mm 12 pt socket

·
Registered
229 Posts
For those with legacy tools a 3/8" socket would also probably work.
I have some legacy software, but this is the first time I've heard of legacy tools. Are SAE measurements that outmoded? Thanks for a whole way of looking at the metric revolution. ????

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I paid $3690 to get the seat to Champlain, NY. I am getting the Westfalia style seat so there is room to build out the galley behind the driver's seat. I will have to pay for a freight company to get it to Boulder. It's expensive. Hopefully worth it. Suppossed to get here the end of Feb. Haven't heard if it's even left the dock in Rotterdam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts