Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a Bluetti portable power station in their Metris? I live in tornado/ice storm country. While I don't need much more than a compressor fridge, fan, and lights for my van, I also need backup power for my home in an emergency. The Bluetti AC200MAX is a MPPT controller, 2000W inverter, battery management system, Lithium battery, and more than enough AC & DC outputs. It works with Bluetti solar panels and is scalable. It is designed to charge from a "lead acid battery" or 12V port with the appropriate cable, along with solar and shore power (AC).

It is an expensive choice for van use only but starts to make economic sense when it can also run my home fridge during a power outage. The other considerations are ease of installation and knowing that all of the electrical work was correct (fuse size, wire size, solid crimp). Please give me your opinions. I am pretty handy, but my electrical knowledge is limited.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I did a built-in electrical system for my '18 135 Cargo. If you have a passenger van that you will also use as a daily driver, I'd say absolutely no question the Bluetti is the way to go. Cost is comparable or far cheaper if you count your time, for the electrical system components (DC-DC Charger/MPPT, Batteries, Inverter) and interior trim mods.

If you have a Cargo and very specific needs, you may want to do a built-in system. I'm glad I did, but I did so at a high price for my time and in hard cash for top grade marine-grade cable, wire, parts and materials (Ancor, Blue Sea Systems, 3M, etc.).

For a multi-purpose Cargo, I still think the Bluetti is still a solid choice. You could even have a plug-in port in the van to send power through a fuse box to power the built-in lights, fan, and compressor fridge with a low amperage portable DC power supply like the Bluetti.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,120 Posts
Sounds an awful lot like intentional advertising based on the language. Be sure not to post affiliate links. Those are against ToC's.

I'm personally opposed to portable generators over leveraging the under driver seat storage for safety and space reasons. That's said it obviously makes sense.

The battery space moves fast. Watch Will Prowses vids and read his forum to pick the current best offering. I would not buy Bluetti over some others these days, but there are loads of choices and the competition is improving the products.

Today if I were going to buy something for the house and road I would get an Ecoflow Delta Pro. While some people are not getting the value of the EV charging port, I would find it valuable. On the road camping and stopping in town every couple of days you can simply charge up at an EV charger quickly (1.7 hours from empty). Works on Chargepoint. Wheels.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought the AC200P generator to use in my van. Unfortunately I haven't used it very much yet as I have had limited time for camping. I bought it nearly when it came out and I'm sure the MAX have some improvements.

I have tested it enough to know that it will power a portable induction cooktop, etc. fridge and electronics. I have also tested the charging capabilities over solar. If you plan to charge over solar, I think you need two solar panels connected in serial to reach the required voltage to charge the generator. I have two 160W panels totaling 320W and the charge rate is very fast.

I have a passenger van and wanted an all-in-one solution I can simply carry out when not needed (and I didn't have time to design my own solution - plus price is reasonable for what you are getting). I am working on placing ports in the rear panels (on both sides for a short wires) so I can easily connect the generator to my solar panels on the roof. P.S. the unit is not light weight and a little cumbersome to carry. Even if you are very strong, one should pay attention to proper lifting techniques etc. Also, the device should be properly secured/attached inside the van, for safety reasons.

Any technology like this will expires fairly quickly, but the battery technology in the B-etti should last pretty long. The nice thing about having a portable all-in-one device is that it can be replaced pretty quickly (although they tend to be big investments).

Maybe one of these days as I get to take the van for a tour I'll add more feedback.

I think you are on a good path and having a portable system definitely can help if you need it elsewhere and in your house during natural disasters or outages. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone used a Bluetti portable power station in their Metris? I live in tornado/ice storm country. While I don't need much more than a compressor fridge, fan, and lights for my van, I also need backup power for my home in an emergency. The Bluetti AC200MAX is a MPPT controller, 2000W inverter, battery management system, Lithium battery, and more than enough AC & DC outputs. It works with Bluetti solar panels and is scalable. It is designed to charge from a "lead acid battery" or 12V port with the appropriate cable, along with solar and shore power (AC).

It is an expensive choice for van use only but starts to make economic sense when it can also run my home fridge during a power outage. The other considerations are ease of installation and knowing that all of the electrical work was correct (fuse size, wire size, solid crimp). Please give me your opinions. I am pretty handy, but my electrical knowledge is limited.
I use a Bluetti 1500wh powered by a 200w solar panel. I use it to power an Engel fridge and a ceiling vent fan. And recharge phones, tablets, etc. For lighting I use a string of led lights powered by 3 AAA batteries and head lanterns. Wash dishes and cook outside utilizing a one burner stove and 10 gal. propane tank mounted on the back. Did my own build (folding platform bed, cabinets, t&g cedar siding w/sheeps wool insulation), including the foregoing items, for about $5-6000. Very happy with this system. My wife and I got back in April from a 3 week road trip touring southern Utah Nat'l parks. Ran refrigerator nonstop and never ran out of power. Leaving in a couple of weeks for beach camping on Outer Banks. When not using, I bring the Bluetti and Engel in the house.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,002 Posts
I use a Bluetti 1500wh powered by a 200w solar panel. I use it to power an Engel fridge and a ceiling vent fan. And recharge phones, tablets, etc. For lighting I use a string of led lights powered by 3 AAA batteries and head lanterns. Wash dishes and cook outside utilizing a one burner stove and 10 gal. propane tank mounted on the back. Did my own build (folding platform bed, cabinets, t&g cedar siding w/sheeps wool insulation), including the foregoing items, for about $5-6000. Very happy with this system. My wife and I got back in April from a 3 week road trip touring southern Utah Nat'l parks. Ran refrigerator nonstop and never ran out of power. Leaving in a couple of weeks for beach camping on Outer Banks. When not using, I bring the Bluetti and Engel in the house.
Welcome to MetrisForum.

Perhaps some day we get to see a few photos of your van build?
Hint hint. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have the MB aux battery? Do you ever charge the Bluetti from the MB battery/batteries? Your setup sounds like what I want: simple and functional.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have the MB aux battery? Do you ever charge the Bluetti from the MB battery/batteries? Your setup sounds like what I want: simple and functional.
No aux battery. Put an extension hookup through the side for ac charging. Bought an inverter and tried to charge from lighter but too much juice I believe. Haven't tried direct connect of inverter to battery terminals. Makes me a bit nervous, but it would be nice to have this option when traveling on cloudy days.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,002 Posts
I think that is fantastic, and I love the pullout cooking / grilling table with that adjustable leg!

Would never have thought ( without overlanding myself ) about a propane tank outside a rear door on a van, but very clever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts